World Table Tennis Championships 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
And by the way, just so you know, Amir and Yehvhen Pryshchepa are good friends, play for the same team in Tours, here when it comes to sports equity matters, not politics.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
How come there is no stream for the mens single matches?
I wanted to watch truls vs omar, but no broadcast from wtt. only table 2 and 4

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I had to read your comment 3 times, I dont understand why you have a pissed off grumpy frenchmen on your back, with foul language too.
was it an earlier post that you had about worldwide diplomacy and racism?? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Tony, that comment about white people was in another thread.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Sounds like he needs to complain a bit less and play a bit better. Maybe it's just a youth thing, WCQ used to be a bit of a whiner as well.

I'm traveling in Italy right now, so can't watch almost any of the matches live. I just watched the ML vs. Eugene Wang one, what's the issue there? Seems like a pretty typical case of the ball hit from outside the table then bouncing down when hitting the edge so it's called a side. Besides, ML dominated the rest of the sets, so it's not like it was a close call in a tight match either.
It's about fair play. Compare the act of Vladimir Samsonov, who sacrificed the title of European champion for the sake of fair play, and the act of Ma Long at this championship, which actually did not risk anything. It's disgusting in my opinion.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Amazing match between Truls and Assar! So happy for Assar, he stayed positive and came up on top. Truls just couldn't believe it in the end and froze like a statue
Omar played incredibly well. I thi m he is on a mission to set his own records and become the African #1.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
OK things are getting a little rediculous 

Between all the 4 possibilities 

a. ML thought it was side, he let umpire decide

b. ML didn't know , he let umpire decide 

c. ML didn't sure , he let umpire decide 

d. ML thought it was edge, he let umpire decide

Choose the d. AND IGNORE the other 3 possibilities AND IGNORE the fact that it is umpire's call (which is, accidentally, umpire's job)

then accused ML for not have sportmanship 

Seriously? 

Aside in my opinion it was a side for sure (in my knowledge of physics. I know there are other opinions), I think the side or edge question is about observation and judgment, and mainly about how a umpire make decisions and how we can improve all these things.
And maybe about TT umpire system is such a huge disappointment
Some words I read make me feel who wrote them was not jumping into conclusion, but jumping into hypothesis or imagination.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
OK things are getting a little rediculous 

Between all the 4 possibilities 

a. ML thought it was side, he let umpire decide

b. ML didn't know , he let umpire decide 

c. ML didn't sure , he let umpire decide 

d. ML thought it was edge, he let umpire decide

Choose the d. AND IGNORE the other 3 possibilities AND IGNORE the fact that it is umpire's call (which is, accidentally, umpire's job)

then accused ML for not have sportmanship 

Seriously? 

Aside in my opinion it was a side for sure (in my knowledge of physics. I know there are other opinions), I think the side or edge question is about observation and judgment, and mainly about how a umpire make decisions and how we can improve all these things.
And maybe about TT umpire system is such a huge disappointment
Some words I read make me feel who wrote them was not jumping into conclusion, but jumping into hypothesis or imagination.
This post reminds me of one of the phrases of Russian propaganda that we have been fed all these years, since the seizure of our territories in 2014, and this phrase sounds like this - "everything is not so definitely"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022

Since this is clearly directed at me I'll respond.

I thought I did a good enough job of explaining my thought process. I'm fine with people disagreeing but it sounds like you're confused as to how I came to my conclusions. So...

Which part of what I said about ML's behavior is just part of my imagination? I'll try to do a better job of trying to get you to a point where you understand what I'm actually saying. And you can choose to agree or not agree.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
For comparison, you can watch the match between Aruna and Ionescu in this championship, where Aruna behaved like a real honest athlete and a man with a capital letter. Although there was a clear hit on the side of the table, he wanted a fair game and a fair win, and this cannot be overlooked.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tony, that comment about white people was in another thread.
oh well, guess people just have too much energy and time on the shoulder.
However, it is not uncommon that players do have a problem controlling they thoughts.
Yesterday I was watching Goda vs Li
Goda was clearly frustrated and that frustration lead to her down fall.
Li,,, just stayed calm and return every ball back, Goda did the rest by making the mistake.

Hidden service has been a problem for ages. the young kids need to learn how to cope, since they will be facing each other for another decade.
As I said it many times before, you need ITTF rulings and enforcement to change first, then maybe players will be required to act. But if they can't enforce it, it is not new that professional athlete will push the boundaries of the law and trust me, this is not a Chinese thing or what ever thing. I'm sure French people also speed on the road, or push the boundary of the law to suit them. This is a human trait, not color of skin or ethnic of the people.

So learn to cope and live with it, or wait for a change, but then, there has been no change on this for a decade.

I still remember CNT purposely did training to test the emotions of the players, as if things don't go your way, you could just collapse mentally. Sadly, this is a very necessary training - mental training. Table tennis in the highest level is very stressful. Maybe in the amateur level, it is more physical, but wow, the pros really need professional help to calm their minds and be in that zone.

If the youngsters today have these flaws, just watch how fans, players and everyone on the other side will exploit it. This is applicable to any professional sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
How come there is no stream for the mens single matches?
I wanted to watch truls vs omar, but no broadcast from wtt. only table 2 and 4
Table 1 is region locked.
use VPN, go to a country like Kazakhstan that doesn't have a broadcaster and you can vpn table 1.
This is an on going WTT issue for a while.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
For comparison, you can watch the match between Aruna and Ionescu in this championship, where Aruna behaved like a real honest athlete and a man with a capital letter. Although there was a clear hit on the side of the table, he wanted a fair game and a fair win, and this cannot be overlooked.

I've seen multiple instances like this in the past few days actually. I can't remember the exact matches, but I saw a few athletes immediately acknowledging imperceptible edge balls on their side when perhaps the umpire and their opponent might have missed it. It's always great to see.

Actually right when I'm typing this I just saw Otcharov and Franciska point to an edge ball on their side and concede the point to Togami/Uda. They did this immediately without any thought. The day all players keep their mouth shut, avoid eye contact or discussion with their opponent, and 'let the ref decide' when the player is literally feet or inches away from the ball and in a much better position than the ref, is the day I lose a good amount of respect for the sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I've seen multiple instances like this in the past few days actually. I can't remember the exact matches, but I saw a few athletes immediately acknowledging imperceptible edge balls on their side when perhaps the umpire and their opponent might have missed it. It's always great to see.

Actually right when I'm typing this I just saw Otcharov and Franciska point to an edge ball on their side and concede the point to Togami/Uda. They did this immediately without any thought. The day all players keep their mouth shut, avoid eye contact or discussion with their opponent, and 'let the ref decide' when the player is literally feet or inches away from the ball and in a much better position than the ref, is the day I lose a good amount of respect for the sport.
the issue is from the theory of ball goes down, is side, balls go up is edge.
This is maybe correct for 99%, but there is still that 1% that is not correct.
Li had a "bad serve" against Goda.
she served edge, and then maybe edge.
The point was not allocated to Li, but she didn't fuss over it and moved on.

the ball maybe edge and went down, from that angle, it was near impossible to be side.

umpires to me are not earning money at this or any tournaments. I doubt ITTF do eye tests and hearing tests before allowing them to umpire (while players have racket control, anti doping etc)
and then, there is no technology and the rule book is really, too outdated.

most coaches just train players to move on.
and receiving a bad call, is part of the job.

Whether the player purposely didn't speak up, I think has a thin line of calling it sportsmanship/unsportmanship than oppose to cheater.

If any, soccer has the most cheaters and I do see a lot of footballers all striving for grammy awards (including French players 🤭). In terms of table tennis, to me, it is still pretty clean.