World Table Tennis Championships 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I think FZD learned a lot from his loss to ML in Tokyo. It doesn't matter that his opponent has all the skills just like he does. He imposed his will on the game. There was a glimmer of hope for WCQ after the shocking comeback in game 5, but FZD showed he's not going to cave and completely dominated game 6.

Reactions: JeffM and blahness
This user has no status.
Fan Zhendong just way too strong compared to Wang Chuqin. Those topspin rallying skills are just out of this world. He was probably winning like 70-80% of all the balls that went into topspin-topspin mode, just unbelievable!

The only hope that Wang Chuqin had was trickery in his advanced serve/receive game, but Fan Zhendong had played too much Ma Long to fall for any tricks by now...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Congratulations to FZD and SYS, World Championship Singles Champions. Both well deserved.

But Hina Hayata's breakthrough performance made this tournament for me. Who saves *NINE* match points against one of the top CNT women? Hina Hayata... that's who. Known as the domestic queen of Japan table tennis, she will now get the recognition she deserves alongside Miu Hirano and Mima Ito. Having supported her through the rough times, it's so satisfying seeing her win a medal at this World Championship. I'm super excited for her in Paris 2024.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
is MA Long retiring ? heard a rumor he said something in interview just before the Men's final began ?
They gave him an award of sorts for winning 3 in a row and he made a speech in Chinese and repeated it in English. The team doesn't need him as much anymore so whether he is retiring or not, it probably isn't worth it to suffer like this to keep his level.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Sun Yingsha wins a match where both players were obviously fighting through nerves. Congrats to Sun, and who would have predicted that the pair of Zhu Yuling and Chen Meng would only finish their careers with runner-up titles at the WTTC when they were clearly the future in 2015? Though by 2017, there were signs of this but the fact that 2019 happened means it wasn't entirely inevitable.
For Zhu Yuling, it is understandable, but for Chen Meng, it is unforgivable.

Chen Meng went into the Tokyo 2020 with a World Cup title only, and 0 continental, or even national titles. She was the kryptonite to Liu Shiwen and Wang Manyu, yet she was denied an ATTC title in 2015, a WTTC final in 2017 and the Asian Cup in 2018 and 2019, all by Zhu Yuling.

Hirano was also a big factor, particularly for denying Chen Meng an ATTC title in 2017. It could be argued that Hirano also drained her in WTTC 2021. Ironically, Ito turned out to be CM's saving grace for the Tokyo 2020 period.

ATTC
2023 Wang Manyu
2021 Hayata
2019 Sun Yingsha
2017 Hirano (9 games in a row, 2 games dropped, and then another 9 games in a row.)
2015 Zhu Yuling
2013 Liu Shiwen
2011 Guo Yan
2009 Ding Ning
2007 Zhang Yining

H2H
ZYL 1-6 DN, and 1-4 before WTTC 2017 (last 1 going to DN)
CM 5-6 DN, and 1-5 before WTTC 2017 (last 3 going to DN)
CM 9-4 LSW, and 7-2 before WTTC 2019 (last 6 going to CM)
CM 13-11 ZYL, and 5-6 ZYL before WTTC 2017 (last 2 going to CM)
CM 14-7 WMY before WTTC 2023 (last 2 going to WMY), and 12-4 before WTTC 2021 (last 7 going to CM)
CM 3-2 SYS before Tokyo 2020 (last 3 going to CM), and 5-4 before WTTC 2023 (last 1, and 2 of 3 in 2022 and 2023 going to SYS)

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
Congratulations to FZD and SYS, World Championship Singles Champions. Both well deserved.

But Hina Hayata's breakthrough performance made this tournament for me. Who saves *NINE* match points against one of the top CNT women? Hina Hayata... that's who. Known as the domestic queen of Japan table tennis, she will now get the recognition she deserves alongside Miu Hirano and Mima Ito. Having supported her through the rough times, it's so satisfying seeing her win a medal at this World Championship. I'm super excited for her in Paris 2024.
Hayata: And like Hirano, I lost to the eventual World Champion only.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Familiarity breeds contempt. Does it not?

2Ic0kzyf2J4.jpg

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
To be fair, Ma Long only has trouble with FZD and WCQ (mostly WCQ, ML cannot handle his speed), he still eats other ones like breakfast :) IMO, he should be allowed to play as long as he wants to stop
IMHO, motivation is what ML is lacking of. Getting motivated is difficult when you have already won everything table tennis has to offer.