Which team do you want to win the World Team Championships?

• Germany

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • China

Votes: 68 55.3%
  • Japan

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • France

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Korea Republic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Chinese Taipei

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Hong Kong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal

• Sweden

• Other (Post Below)

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
So once you've peaked you might as well retire? That's quite a maximalist way to see things, and not a very useful one. There are many amazing former top10's still on the tour, making the game fun and diverse. Like, Samsonov was one step from an Olympic medal at 40 years of age.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/ti...-die-chinesen-haben-ein-paar-sorgen-1.3749005

Jorg Roßkopf's interview after 2017 German Open: Ma Long hat Handgelenksprobleme und war in Magdeburg nicht dabei, Xu Xin ist nach einer Verletzung noch nicht wieder richtig fit, und Lin Gaoyuan ist zwar ein guter Spieler, aber nicht gerade der überragende. Zhang Jike ist eigentlich nur noch für die Show unterwegs. Zurzeit funktioniert nur Fan Zhendong, und dass Dima ihn geschlagen hat, beweist, wie gut wir zurzeit sind.

You guys should criticize him, I guess, as he is the current head coach of Germany and shall be more responsible for saying so.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
For me he already retired does not matter od he will play some tours or not. He will never compete at top 5 level again. So for me he is retired. The only way he can compete at top level is to change his style the same like timo did. Zjk style is very close to the table and determining on his speed on his feet ( it is enough to see some photos of his feet). Considering his age, long break and some health problems which cannot be cured 100%, he will never come back on top in the same playing style.

Its not about playing good or bad , being top or bottom its about being active or not . Its about announcing formally which he told himself he wont . he wants to play . I don't know why but it seems he got a new motivation . he tries so hard these days . even his girl friend jing tian commented him about training hard . For me even if he plays terribly is a pleasure to see him in scene .

Reactions: drunix80
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Here are some viewership reports of WTTTC 2018 in China. CCTV5 (sports channel) is the only ITTF authorized TV channel and Zhibo TV is the only ITTF authorized online streaming website/app with LGL commentary (CNT's quarterfinals, semifinals and finals). Young generation prefers Zhibo TV over CCTV5. On average LGL attracted 11 million viewers a day.
CCTV5 has viewers from broader age range. For women's final, CCTV5 had 16.72% market share and 2.09% average viewership ratings. For men's final CCTV5 had 17.55% market share and 2.47% average viewership ratings. What do the figures mean? 1 out of 6 TV viewers was watching WTTTC on Sat or Sun night. The most-watched match before WTTTC on CCTV5 is 2018 Winter Olympic Games men's 5000m speed skating rally, with 2.25% average viewership ratings. Considering the duration of a TT team match, 2.09% and 2.47% are very impressive.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Its not about playing good or bad , being top or bottom its about being active or not . Its about announcing formally which he told himself he wont . he wants to play . I don't know why but it seems he got a new motivation . he tries so hard these days . even his girl friend jing tian commented him about training hard . For me even if he plays terribly is a pleasure to see him in scene .

Second that. ZJK never took a proper break to heal his injuries and post olympic and WTTC , he took a break to mend his mind and body. Federer/Nadal/Djokovic all took long breaks from game to take care of injury. Although Djokovic is losing most of the time after his come back , it does not put him in retired league.

Anyway seems like he will be back in Hong-Kong Open. One thing is for sure , ZJK has lot to prove now and that means for sure he will be raring to go. And it is my personal feeling that he still has hopes for 2020. I hope his actions in TT arena will soon quell all his critics.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
When I was young Waldner was my favourite player. When he came back in 2004 and make semifinals at the athens olympics beating ma lin I was very happy but I knew that no further he can go. Today my favourite player is mizutani but he is getting older and will not Play better. Some people should understand that even if they are fans of zjk the same situation is with him age is age and you cannot fool it.
Anyway best of luck to ZJK and his fans.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
When I was young Waldner was my favourite player. When he came back in 2004 and make semifinals at the athens olympics beating ma lin I was very happy but I knew that no further he can go. Today my favourite player is mizutani but he is getting older and will not Play better. Some people should understand that even if they are fans of zjk the same situation is with him age is age and you cannot fool it.
Anyway best of luck to ZJK and his fans.

Age wise, ZJK and Mizutani are almost same as Dima.and much younger than Boll. Waldner in 2004 was around 40. So, age is not a.big factor as such to count them out. May be their motivation is the major factor at this point.

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
CTTSL 2018 is said to start this June, according to Anhui club. I feel people who can fool themselves are lucky ones. Never give up hopes and never learn Chinese.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I'm aware of course that LGL was preoccupied with more important tasks in 2015, just picked him as a sort of an analogous figure in present day context, now that he does commentate: one with major insider knowledge that surely knows more than an average table tennis fan. I.e. when he says something, he's probably right.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2018-05-05/doc-ihacuuvt6785392.shtml
LGL had one interesting comment. He thinks Swedish people have better understanding on the sport than German and Japanese, German players and Swedish coach can be a threat to CNT.

This user has no status.
no no I understood, I thought ZJK was the best ever in rallies but chubby just rips Buyour best FH or BH rip like its nothing for him. But his attacking prowess sometimes backfires, you dont need to rip everything to win

I remember people used to say this about Ma Long 5 when he was young. That he only has brute power on forehand and nothing else. And now he’s the most technically complete player in the world. Give FZD another 3 or 4 years. Then people will move on to making this type of comment about the next promising young Chinese player (maybe Wan Chuqin).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Dima just withdrew Hong Kong Open. How many times have he withdrawn this year? Chinese media said, before the final of WTTTC, he told Roßkopf he would only play 3rd set...
ITTF wants better participation of top players at international tournaments by changing ranking system. But in reality, we just see more injuries and withdrawals.

This user has no status.
I remember people used to say this about Ma Long 5 when he was young. That he only has brute power on forehand and nothing else.

I agree. I see ML winning with WAY more variety compared to say 6-7 years ago. I see him stay on his BH quite a bit and only bring out the FH hammer when needed. Will keep his injuries minimized too by playing more economical. Smart.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/ti...-die-chinesen-haben-ein-paar-sorgen-1.3749005

Jorg Roßkopf's interview after 2017 German Open: Ma Long hat Handgelenksprobleme und war in Magdeburg nicht dabei, Xu Xin ist nach einer Verletzung noch nicht wieder richtig fit, und Lin Gaoyuan ist zwar ein guter Spieler, aber nicht gerade der überragende. Zhang Jike ist eigentlich nur noch für die Show unterwegs. Zurzeit funktioniert nur Fan Zhendong, und dass Dima ihn geschlagen hat, beweist, wie gut wir zurzeit sind.

You guys should criticize him, I guess, as he is the current head coach of Germany and shall be more responsible for saying so.

Westerners dont think like that. And its way too easy to criticize on forums or when ur not a real coach and just a fan (not just you but everyone around the world who likes to involve in TT) .

"Ma Long has wrist problems and was absent in Magdeburg, Xu Xin is not fit after injury, and Lin Gaoyuan is a good player, but not the most outstanding. Zhang Jike is only on the road for the show. At the moment only Fan Zhendong works, and the fact that Dima beat him proves how good we are at the moment."

He didnt say anything wrong if you ask me and I dont think anyone expected DO beating fan, franzika creating problems against XX or boll beating ma long or LGY

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Of course the head coach is going to be positive and create some hype. He also said this in the same interview:

Ist Chinas Dominanz zu Ende?

(lacht) Da sind wir uns alle ganz, ganz sicher, dass die Chinesen ab Januar ihr Trainingspensum wieder nach oben fahren und bei der Mannschafts-WM im Mai in Schweden auch wieder der ganz große Favorit auf den Titel sein werden. Es gibt zurzeit ein bisschen Hoffnung für uns, aber es ist nicht so, dass China wankt und fällt. Ma Long, Fan Zhendong und Xu Xin in Topform sind weiterhin schwierig zu bezwingen.

Is China's dominance ending?

(laughs)We are all very, very sure that the chinese will increase their training effort in January and will be the great favourite going into the WTTTC. There is a bit of hope right now, but it is not like China is tumbling.

It is undeniable that if Boll and Ovtcharov were in German Open form they would have had a chance.

This user has no status.
I had a chat with my Japanese coach (ex JNT member) about the competition

He said he was disappointed that Japan had no strong third player. Niwa is too unstable and Matsudaira ‘s level has been going down and not good enough.

He said that he would have preferred Niwa instead of Matsudaira against Korea as he has strong face to face records against the Koreans, so for this match he would even have put Harimoto in third position.

He said Harimoto played very well given the pressure and is very optimistic about him

Regarding the girls he said that Ishikawa is the top player against any team but not against China. He would have let Hayata play against China in number 2 and Hirano number 3. But he said it was difficult because of the sponsors....

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl