Wrong to defeat this Old-School Dude like that ???

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I visited a club in Pyungtaek, not so far from LPer OOAK forum member Not-Bob's favorite Korean club. I played a lot of matches winning the majority, narrowly losing a couple, and losing one 3-1 where I was postered. They use the handicap system there 2 points handicap for the first level of difference between players, and one additional point for each additional level of difference, so a Div 2 regional player (me) facing a Div 4 player would result in a 3 point handicap.

This was a quick fun match without handicap. I think he would have gotten a 5 point handicap from me, but no one told me his playing level. Koreans are so under-rated in divisions anyway, it can be hard to tell as the top players in each division are really two levels better, but never want to move up to the next level as it would surely take away all chances of winning a tourney.

I have faced many players who at first look would be easy pushovers, only to have the joke be on me!

So... when I faced this Old-School dude who wanted to play vs me, I said OK and we went at it. I did not realize until maybe 1/2 way through the match that he would be div 5 city at best. I still didn't let off teh gas, just let off the pace on a couple shot and didn't smash all that hard.

I have had a few people in the club tell me I should have taken it much easier on this due, who I was informed just before the match was the City's Table Tennis Association's PRESIDENT.

Way I saw it, we both wore uniforms and we both had a weapon in our hands, so all fair. Some others have expressed an alternate opinion.

I tried to keep it light fun and it looked like it was received that way, but with Koreans, you never know.

Was I WRONG to win in this fashion???

Vid was posted to my facebook account.

Comment away.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
well, all I want to say is, next time try to make it fun for both side if it was indeed intended to be a fun match. And to be honest, smashing that hard on him is kinda disrespectful, especially in east asia where elders are respected (not that he looks that old in the video), and it was good that you realized that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I visited a club in Pyungtaek, not so far from LPer OOAK forum member Not-Bob's favorite Korean club. I played a lot of matches winning the majority, narrowly losing a couple, and losing one 3-1 where I was postered. They use the handicap system there 2 points handicap for the first level of difference between players, and one additional point for each additional level of difference, so a Div 2 regional player (me) facing a Div 4 player would result in a 3 point handicap.

This was a quick fun match without handicap. I think he would have gotten a 5 point handicap from me, but no one told me his playing level. Koreans are so under-rated in divisions anyway, it can be hard to tell as the top players in each division are really two levels better, but never want to move up to the next level as it would surely take away all chances of winning a tourney.

I have faced many players who at first look would be easy pushovers, only to have the joke be on me!

So... when I faced this Old-School dude who wanted to play vs me, I said OK and we went at it. I did not realize until maybe 1/2 way through the match that he would be div 5 city at best. I still didn't let off teh gas, just let off the pace on a couple shot and didn't smash all that hard.

I have had a few people in the club tell me I should have taken it much easier on this due, who I was informed just before the match was the City's Table Tennis Association's PRESIDENT.

Way I saw it, we both wore uniforms and we both had a weapon in our hands, so all fair. Some others have expressed an alternate opinion.

I tried to keep it light fun and it looked like it was received that way, but with Koreans, you never know.

Vid was posted to my facebook account.

Comment away.

Like vipt2000 said, you didn't make it look as fun as you said it was! You should've at least just kept pushing at him or making light flicks/flips to at least make a rally with him. NOW THAT'S FUN! Again, as vipt2000 said, in East Asia, elders must be respected, so just plainly smashing it at him is kind of making yourself more superior to him (not in your eyes of course, but in the others). So you got to take that into consideration next time! :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
This apparently bothers you but I don't think you should let it.
Showing off your muscles is little bit too much though. That is a little silly. I have seen you do that in other videos.

I think you should have been able to tell he was no where close to your level from some of his serve returns that were high and with no speed. Obviously he had trouble reading your serves. I don't see where the old-school dude put any pressure on you at all.

Often the president of a TT club isn't the best player but one that has the time to be president and take on those responsibilities.

Now you know but I still wouldn't let it bother you and now the old-school dude knows he needs to work on his serve returns.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I think you showed more respect by playing him the way you did. It is a lot more disrespectful to a lower ranked player if you played him like you 'dont care' or are not really trying. If you agreed to play with them - then at least give them the benefit of some strong shots rather than being condescending with pushes etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011

I only watch first few points, but was wonder do you guys do some kind of warm up hitting first before start the match? When I was in Loma Linda for some vacation before fly back to malaysia, I visit the sport centre there to play with some people. So how I judge the player is through some warm up hitting, so that I could know how should I play with them.

Most of the time, it would kind of depend by your own personality, where I know that lots of people usually abit towards more serious whenever they start to play a game (or during warm up). Which supposingly it is no wrong at all, but it just maybe looks no fun to the other side.

There might be also that you have been play with the players who around your level or higher than you, which you have very little chance to play with other who is much lower level than you in non-competition situation (well, you can just trash those when it comes to tournament, doesn't matter). And also, since we are not as pro as those national player, it would just as hard for us to make every of our serve return become a somewhat easy ball to our opponent in any case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Your heart, Sir, have gone to quite an extent to drive you to create some thread about this NOT only in this forum but also in some other..
So yeah if your heart could drive you to do such thing, Sir, I believe something is wrong.. Most of the time this is true for me..
Okay, now for my personal opinion: If I am the one playing against you, Sir, I would feel a bit disappointed and humiliated despite having a bit of fun.. That could be just me though..

That's about it for right/wrong as I can't judge nor jury about whether it is right or wrong to defeat Mr. President that way.. The final and absolute answer is in your heart and of course the heart of Mr. President himself I believe..
If in any way he is offended, or even if he is not offended at all, apologizing seems to be the best way to find out the answer and no less importantly, to bring peace into yourself, Sir..

BUT as someone with a keen heart for promoting the sport of table tennis, I know to a good extent how to play a fun game with someone who is known to me as a lower ranked player than I am:
1. MOST OF THE TIME I put myself in defending position right away whether it is blocking or lobbing or fishing or diving.
2. I force my opponent to play his/her best game.
3. In the situation of pressure and disadvantage, I need to seek way of how to win the point or at least don't let my opponent win the point easily.

In this manner:
1. My lower ranked opponent and I do have fun!
2. My lower ranked opponent got a good workout and also capacity enlargement since I pushed him/her to play his/her best game.
3. I also got a good workout while enlarging my capacity by applying controlled pressure upon myself in the game, specifically by training myself to workout the situation of disadvantage.
4. We may find new applicable in-game tactics and techniques!

Win-win situation, yes!?

This is a few insight from me, Sir Der_Echte..
May you find overwhelming peace in your heart..
Yos

Last edited: