WTT Star Contender Lanzhou 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Since FZD wont play, will Wang Chuqin take Over no. 1 Spot again, because FZD will not gain points and maybe lose points from last year?

Timo Boll won his first Match 3-1.
Togami beat Wong Chun Ting 3-2.

Its a little sad that this tournament is so empty, many spots are open and it would be more exciting and competitive if more top players played.

But we will likely get some top Level Matches anyway.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Since FZD wont play, will Wang Chuqin take Over no. 1 Spot again, because FZD will not gain points and maybe lose points from last year?

Its a little sad that this tournament is so empty, many spots are open and it would be more exciting and competitive if more top players played.

The mens final will likely be WCQ vs ML or LGY. But I am hoping for an upset from the Lebrun brothers

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

We definitely will, Timo boll is around and is always up for some upset... There are young dynamic players like Felix, Alexis, Shunshuke, Hiroto, Chengjui ready to scalp the big names. Harimoto is probably keen on a win in China after a subdued performance at the Asian Championships and Asian Games. Ovtcharov is here too.

I don't think WCQ can leapfrog FZD in the standings because FZD just won the world championship in May, and that should keep him up top for the next 2 years unless he doesn't win anything else( impossible - he's literally been in like 5 or 6 finals this year). I'm guessing he just wanted to take a rest; of course not a sufficient excuse so injury is proffered. He also probably has reached the quota for this year, and he's shelving this tournament for WTT Champions Frankfurt.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022

second mixed double match starts at about 1:20 and the complete referee-horror that leads to a event- breaks follows quite soon in the 2nd game. 🤣
Can't believe it took so long for someone to realize that the scoring was reversed. This isn't like an All-asian matchup or something which might be easier to confuse. It's the two Latin Americans versus the USA guy/HK girl combo. Bizarre to get the two pairs mixed up in the first place.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Check out how many byes in the women's draw.
It's bizarre, but many players from China, Korea and Japan that just finished playing the Asian games are there in Lanzhou. So I'm not really sure the schedule is that much of an issue since those that it should affect are in China anyway, it's mostly the Europeans that are uninterested and would rather play in Muscat I guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It's bizarre, but many players from China, Korea and Japan that just finished playing the Asian games are there in Lanzhou. So I'm not really sure the schedule is that much of an issue since those that it should affect are in China anyway, it's mostly the Europeans that are uninterested and would rather play in Muscat I guess.
the scheduling is really... beyond common sense.
well, since Asian games and Star contender is in the same country, they will continue.
For the Asians taking part - it is very taxing on the body for back to backs (dating back to Almaty-Asian Champ-Asian Games and now this)

And if Europeans are uninterested then, WTT has failed, since, this is a "STAR CONTENDER",

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I hope Ma Jinbao does well. I always like watching him play, but I always had the impression that there is a huge gap between USATT level and WTT level.

But he already beat world #94, and he advanced farther than Yoshimura already. So maybe the gap is not as wide as I thought. Or maybe high USATT level is around world ranking 50-100

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I hope Ma Jinbao does well. I always like watching him play, but I always had the impression that there is a huge gap between USATT level and WTT level.

But he already beat world #94, and he advanced farther than Yoshimura already. So maybe the gap is not as wide as I thought. Or maybe high USATT level is around world ranking 50-100
I was happy to see he won his first match. Was it recorded? Can I watch on Youtube? I tried looking but i couldn't find it.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Can't believe it took so long for someone to realize that the scoring was reversed. This isn't like an All-asian matchup or something which might be easier to confuse. It's the two Latin Americans versus the USA guy/HK girl combo. Bizarre to get the two pairs mixed up in the first place.
That the scoring was reversed confused ME but the referee started to give points to the wrong team and it took them a while too to realize what was going on..........and then it all fell apart , hilarious but also a bit sad.