WTT World Youth Champs in Slovenia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
As far as I can see, we do not have any English players taking part. I can only see Wales's Anna Hursey flying the flag for these isles. We do have some promising Under 15 players - perhaps even younger - but I was wondering why no one has taken the trip to Slovenia, which isn't on the other side of the world. Looking at other posts on this Forum, I guess it could be simply too expensive!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
As far as I can see, we do not have any English players taking part. I can only see Wales's Anna Hursey flying the flag for these isles. We do have some promising Under 15 players - perhaps even younger - but I was wondering why no one has taken the trip to Slovenia, which isn't on the other side of the world. Looking at other posts on this Forum, I guess it could be simply too expensive!
its a world championships, you don't choose to go or not, you need to qualify to play
if no one qualified, then you need to look at why not

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
BB6E7415-443E-4967-91BF-08E129FE8F3A.png

ITTF World Youth Championships 2023 - is the next, 20th of the annual table tennis competitions among youths, it is also the third tournament when, after the reform of the International Table Tennis Federation in 2021, the tournament was again divided into two categories: juniors under 19 years old (U19) and cadets up to 15 years old (U15). The tournament will be held by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) from November 26 to December 3, 2023 in Nova Gorica, Slovenia.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
View attachment 27552

ITTF World Youth Championships 2023 - is the next, 20th of the annual table tennis competitions among youths, it is also the third tournament when, after the reform of the International Table Tennis Federation in 2021, the tournament was again divided into two categories: juniors under 19 years old (U19) and cadets up to 15 years old (U15). The tournament will be held by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) from November 26 to December 3, 2023 in Nova Gorica, Slovenia.
Very interesting venue... a primary school...
with rock climbing walls too

thought the venue would have been at least a professional sport center.

1701018651408.jpeg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Agreed. maybe their event should be longer. So to enable more countries to qualify. The gorups could be done. kind of like the seniors version. Or the fifa world cup.
new ITTF/WTT direction is less teams/players, less tables - 4 tables to start, then it will be 2 then 1 table left. Smaller hall (even divide 4 tables to 2 or 3 halls with temp sub dividers.)

Gone are the days with all the tables in 1 big hall, with 2 major show courts and then 12 other smaller courts next to it.

and with 3 to 4 players in teams, and only 2 allowed to enter in singles for example, some players would fly half way around the world, to play 1 match (or be benched), the teams get knocked out, and they don't play singles (due to 2 player cap).
This is very unwise use of funds and time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
it is a common trait that when you turn pro in seniors, you won't play in juniors/youth competition any more.
But if you look at the Chinese Team, for example Lin Shidong is also playing although he also playing with seniors. Then another Example the German U19 Annette Kaufmann has also been playing in Senior Competitions. There are many players with senior ranking playing in the competition. So it seems more to be a voluntary choice or he is just too strong?

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
it is a common trait that when you turn pro in seniors, you won't play in juniors/youth competition any more.
Nah, he is one of the few that have another December event and they may have prioritized the Mixed World Cup event over this for his development. Sora and Lin are not going to that event as far as I know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Any idea why Felix Lebrun is not playing? He should be still eligible for U19?
He is probably playing the Mixed Team World Cup event that immediately follows this one and prioritized that over this. I did a double take when I didn't see him initially, his teammates played really well against China and must have felt the loss of their ace.

Reactions: sky500
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
He is probably playing the Mixed Team World Cup event that immediately follows this one and prioritized that over this. I did a double take when I didn't see him initially, his teammates played really well against China and must have felt the loss of their ace.
This is what I was thinking. France might have a real chance of winning the team event if he was there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Japan just completed a tough comeback vs Korea. Their #3 Yoshiyama fought hard in a very close match, and his win gave his teammates who had lost their previous matches to go down 0-2 the desire to finish and come back. Matsushima won a close match over Oh 3-2, and Hagarira (I am probably mispelling his name, but I found him very impressive) beat Park to finish it off. Great match to see who gets to suffer vs China. That said, the China #3 spot might be weak enough to take, but Lin Shindong and Ruibo Wen have looked absolutely dominant.

Reactions: pongfugrasshopper