Why do all penholders at the world level use black for their forehand?

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Could be something to do with the differences between rubbers that are otherwise identical apart for playing characteristics caused by the rubber colour. I've read several reviews before where a player has tested a particular rubber and said that it plays slightly differently in red than it does in black, even when sponge thickness is the same. I could be imagining this, but every time I've seen this sort of review, it's usually stated that the black colour version plays a bit more offensively than the red.

I assume the different dyes used in red and black rubber must have some effect on how the rubber plays...most of us are probably just not playing at a level where we can notice these differences (or don't test an identical rubber in both colours in order to do the comparison).

Just as an aside, I'm not a pen holder but I always play with black on my FH as I remember reading an article somewhere which stated that this is what most of the pros do (maybe for the reason of offensive play highlighted above). For me it would just seem wierd now if I were to switch to red on the FH.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Wong Chun Ting uses black tenergy on fh though. :p
There is a slight difference on some other rubbers too. I've tried Donic bluefire Jp.01 Turbo and Jp-03 on in both black and red, in two diferent periods. I liked the black slightly more on both those rubbers. So after finding out I liked Black more, I've kept it that way on fh for new rubbers as well. Tbh If I could, I'd might have used black for both sides.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
I see it is not just penholders but all CNT shakehanders use black for FH as well. I think it is all because of the success of their blue sponge which only goes with black and players follow. Chinese players won't use hard and tacky rubber for BH so it is natural to put black on FH. I have read that black rubber has more spin and red faster for the same rubber. I have also read that black is not as obvious as red for opponent to see when serving so you have some advantage in hiding your spin. Not sure how much of that is true.

The best Jpen players use red. The best one side Cpen Yoshida Kaii use red. In fact Ma Lin before 08 Olympic also use red for FH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is basically personal choice. And the fact that H3 Blue Sponge doesn't seem to come in red.

The thought that the dye in the black rubber is better or gets more spin is an old tale. It is not true. Technology is good enough to make dyes that color the rubbers and don't cause differences in playing characteristics.

I do think it is a very small amount easier to read the spin from a serve off the red side because the racket angle and contact is a hair easier to see. But I don't know that anyone really thought about that.

To me it looks like Chinese players usually play with black rubber on FH and they are the best players in the world so other people copy. Look how many players on this forum use black H3 for FH and red Tenergy for BH. European pros seem more likely to use red on FH.

When I was a kid, in the 1970s people said the red side was faster. That isn't true either. Red and black rubbers are basically identical. If you get two new rubbers and one plays better than the other it is likely that the one that plays worse was sitting on the shelf at the store for longer. Two rubbers from the same batch that are the same model and thickness will play the same.

The color players use on FH is based on personal choice. And TurboZ's info that Ma Lin used to use red on FH is worth noting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: