Changing from composite to allwood

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi guys!

I currently play with Viscaria FL with Tenergy 05 on FH and Tenergy 64 on backhand(both unboosted). I would like to change to allwood, because university dont let me train every days :'( I play more in spin, more forehand oriented, backhand is more to hit or block, and sometimes lob too. I play close to the table, sometimes in middle distance, would you guys recommend me a allwood 7-ply or allwood 5-ply blade??

Thanks in advance and btw sorry for my bad English >.<

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
You already play with quite a offensive set up. So any half decent offensive all wood blade would do. Since you play with a composite, you could probably go with something quite stiff and fast without loosing too much feeling, just be aware that composite blades usually have a larger sweet spot than all woods

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
OSP Martin: (7 ply)
OSP Virtuoso+ (Plus): (5 ply)
OSP V'King: (5 ply)
Stiga Clipper: (7 ply)

The two 7 ply blades are faster but heavier. If you don't mind a blade that weighs 95 grams, either one of those at about 95 grams would be a great all wood replacement for the Viscaria. You will get the extra feel and control that it sounds like you want from an all wood blade and you won't loose almost any speed. Those are comparable speed to Viscaria. The weight range of these blades is large but they will play better when they are at a bout 95 grams.

The V'King has a Koto top ply so it is harder and it is almost as fast as the two 7 ply blades but much lighter and you get less spin because of how hard it is. That being said, the Viscaria has a Koto top ply so it would feel like an all wood version of a Viscaria in a way. This blade plays better at 87-88 grams. The weight range is 84-88 grams.

Virtuoso+ is the slowest of the blades I listed. It is 5 ply as well. This is a small amount slower than the V'King. It has great control and better flex than the other blades so it is good for looping. It also gets an amazing amount of dwell time so that you can really generate a lot of spin. This blade plays better at about 90 grams, the weight range is 86-90 grams.

Another idea would be a Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon blade. That blade is a bit slower than any of the above listed blades but feels very nice also. This one can also be about anywhere between 85-90 grams.

With any of the blades, when you order you can select the weight.

If it is an OSP blade, you should know that, for the first two or three times you play them, they feel sort of weird because OSP makes the blade after you order it. But, within 2-7 days, the blade breaks in and starts feeling really good. I have 4 OSP blades and that happened with all of them. At first, with the first one, I thought there was some mistake. Then it started to play really well shortly after that.

This user has no status.
For an All-wood blade i think you may consider Nittaku, Stiga, and Tibhar as your choice. They are well known for their all-wood blades. The also give you so many varieties of an all-wood blades. For Nittaku, I will recommend Barwell, Violin and Acoustic series. For Stiga, I think Clipper Series and Classic Series will be a good choice.For Tibhar, Samsonov Force Series and Stratus Series is also good.

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
OSP Martin: (7 ply)
OSP Virtuoso+ (Plus): (5 ply)
OSP V'King: (5 ply)
Stiga Clipper: (7 ply)

The two 7 ply blades are faster but heavier. If you don't mind a blade that weighs 95 grams, either one of those at about 95 grams would be a great all wood replacement for the Viscaria. You will get the extra feel and control that it sounds like you want from an all wood blade and you won't loose almost any speed. Those are comparable speed to Viscaria. The weight range of these blades is large but they will play better when they are at a bout 95 grams.

The V'King has a Koto top ply so it is harder and it is almost as fast as the two 7 ply blades but much lighter and you get less spin because of how hard it is. That being said, the Viscaria has a Koto top ply so it would feel like an all wood version of a Viscaria in a way. This blade plays better at 87-88 grams. The weight range is 84-88 grams.

Virtuoso+ is the slowest of the blades I listed. It is 5 ply as well. This is a small amount slower than the V'King. It has great control and better flex than the other blades so it is good for looping. It also gets an amazing amount of dwell time so that you can really generate a lot of spin. This blade plays better at about 90 grams, the weight range is 86-90 grams.

Another idea would be a Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon blade. That blade is a bit slower than any of the above listed blades but feels very nice also. This one can also be about anywhere between 85-90 grams.

With any of the blades, when you order you can select the weight.

If it is an OSP blade, you should know that, for the first two or three times you play them, they feel sort of weird because OSP makes the blade after you order it. But, within 2-7 days, the blade breaks in and starts feeling really good. I have 4 OSP blades and that happened with all of them. At first, with the first one, I thought there was some mistake. Then it started to play really well shortly after that.

Well thaks Carl!

I would like to try the Clipper, because its popular, and also I can buy it cheap, and maybe ill like! But you know Clipper's head size? if its much bigger than Viscaria? Because I have new Rubbers :/ Viscaria is 157x150, I saw that Clipper was same dimensions, but on Stiga official site they dont say the real dimensions and im afraid >.<

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The Clipper is an awesome blade. The Stiga flared handles are really good. The head dimensions are 150x157mm just like the Viscaria but the shape is a tiny bid different. The rubbers will fit. But it is worth knowing that the tip of the Viscaria is a bit narrower and the bottom of the blade face near the handle, at one point, is a bit wider. Clipper is a bit rounder. Viscaria a tiny bit more oval. Very small difference. So rubbers can be moved from one to the other. But it is worth knowing the shape is a tiny bit different.

Sent from Godric'sHollow using the ResurrectionStone

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Save Moar dinero go for Allround Evolution and doctor it up to become an OFFENSIVE Evolution.

From Nexy, there are several choices in the $100 USD range give or take, but cheaper with code SD-15 if you happen to be in USA.

Nexy Peter Pan 5 ply All Wood crisp with feel, enough power and control.

Nexy Lissom 5 ply not so super fast Allround blade that will spin the cover off the ball and a nice White Ash outer veener.

Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon (The blade I use named after a Korean Pro and designed/Made by Nexy) 7 Ply all wood crisp, spinny, good feel excellent control right amount of power.

The newer blade in between Peter Pan and Lissom is the ZEALOT.

Myself... I was for several years using the great TBS and for another few years in Korea the various new releases of Nexy composite blades, like Oscar, Arirang, SPARTACUS, Calix II and some others.

After I got back to TT in USA after a 2 year drought of not being in an area with a club, I switched to LISSOM for a month to get back my slow spinning feel for the ball and my setup tactics in order. Then, I switched to Kim Jung Hoon and never looked back.

Carl has one and tell you all about it, and both NL and Carl have played vs me wielding the KJH and they will tell you it does the job great.

Carl and PP Holic will tell you I looked like a pro looping with Carl's Virtuoso + with MX-P haha missed one of my first 5 loops and made 20 straight after that haha, but PP Holic wasn't exactly pressuring me that day at SPiN Manhattan before they turned lights way too low and Broadway way to friggin' LOUD.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If I went back to composite blades, if I chose well enough, I believe I would play so close to my level that you wouldn't tell the difference.

KANAPH is a good blade if you are long with wood blade and going to a composite, it lays the smack down and is a rally monkey.

You could also look at TTD's REVIEW CENTRE... Dan isn't pimping it so much these days, but that sucka is like a good sourdough culture... it keep growing and bakes well.

Sourdough1.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You guys play at Spin Manhattan? I hear it is a nightclub, but serious players go there too? I wonder about that. TT can be a sweaty sport. I usually want to shower before partying after.

:cool:

I play at SPiN. I bring people there. It is true, it is not really for TT players any more. They used to be trying to do both at the same time. Now it is almost entirely for people who can't play and want to drink and party. But there are a few real players there and they also make it so a bunch of guys who are TT coaches can make a decent living coaching people, with a large pool of ultra rich people for them to get to take coaching.

I play other places but it is kind of fun to play there. And I have to say, the table I generally play on has better space and lighting than tables at any other club in Manhattan. Plus, I like habing hot women around while I am playing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And there are so many good all wood blades you could choose. The Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon blade is definitely very nice too. Lighter than a Clipper. Great feeling. A bit slower than a Clipper. The Clipper is a bit crisper but the KJH may get more spin and have more control. More bang from Clipper, more nuances to the feeling of KJH.

Last edited: