Evolution MX-S on Tibhar Stratus Power Wood??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Hi folks,

I have been reading many reviews on the Tibhar Stratus Powerwood and as to what rubbers people have been trying on this blade. From what I can gather, the general view is that FX-P tends to work better on this blade than MX-P. I was going to give the MX-P a try on this blade but now I'm not so sure.

So how about MX-S? Would this be a good match to the Stratus powerwood? Or am I wrong in thinking that MX-P isn't the best match for this blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I have never understood the concept of a rubber not working with a particular blade. Can you please explain to me what that means?

I have seen a few threads where people are saying softer rubbers suit the powerwood better. So I was wondering if MX-P or MX-S would actually work as well on this blade as their softer counterparts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I have seen a few threads where people are saying softer rubbers suit the powerwood better. So I was wondering if MX-P or MX-S would actually work as well on this blade as their softer counterparts.

Go look at the review of Paul Drinkhall's blade series. On every blade in every test, he is using MX-P on the blade, from the slower softer all round to the newest powerspin carbon. Shouldn't that tell you something?

In my experience, whether things go together is largely personal and has nothing to do with the silly matching rules that some people give you. The only thing is whether the blade-rubber combination perform in a responsive way to your strokes and once you have a good blade and rubber in the same offensive class, that is largely training. The matching has more to do with your style. Most top players want something that is largely unresponsive in the short game for good control and is faster in the looping game for good speed, but that may or may not apply to you and you are the one going to train with the setup anyways. What you really need to do is to just use other people's equipment or stick with popular stuff so you can tell how someone's view of a rubber/blade aligns with yours. Listening to people whose play you have never watched, whose level you don't know and whose style you don't know comment on a blade can be one of the dumbest things that a player who plays seriously can do. Take it from someone who has a lot of experience trying out lots of stuff when I was getting better (I had the money back then) and realized

1) it is just easiest to buy reliable stuff and try it out yourself or borrow it at your club or at camps/tournaments.
2) there are many quality blades and rubbers out there.
3) the quality of the rubber is relatively more important to get consistently right than the quality of the blade, as there are many good blades out there.
4) no two blades play the same, you just have to master the ones you have if they do the kinds of things you would like them to do ( and as long as they are in the general speed class you are looking for and have a top ply you like, they will, so don't overthink it).
5) unless you train a lot and and have an advanced loop and short game (and even with that), you may not benefit from carbon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ilia Minkin