Thinking about getting this setup, any suggestions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Andro Rasant 2.1mm (FH)
Donic Baracuda 1.9mm (BH)
Stiga Allround Classic

Total: 92 dollars on table tennis 11.

This is my first real setup after playing with a pre-made bat for a while. Looking to get the best price/performance. Any suggestions appreciated. I'm a beginner so I don't really have a style.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you are coming from a pre-made, why are you looking to have two different rubbers for FH and BH? Do you know what your FH and BH do well? I would choose one rubber an get the same rubber for FH and BH. Unless you actually know how your FH or BH is specialized, and what specifically they need that are different from each other, I would get the same for both. As you develop you may learn what they need that are different. Until then, you are better off using the same rubber for both wings.

The blade is a good one for you to get as a first blade. I would think about getting Baracuda for both sides. Or perhaps getting Vega Europ or Vega Pro and whichever one you get, getting the same on both sides.

I personally think max is fine on that blade. But thickness is your choice. If you are trying to learn to spin, max is useful. If you are more driving the ball and not really working on changing that, thinner rubbers make more sense.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
if I were you i would make the baracuda as my forehand rubber because it is spinnier and slower than the rasant. also, make the rasant at 1.9mm thickness.

Rasant is fast, it's a beast at 2.1; a little thinner might work out better. Carl does not agree, and his point about not differentiating BH and FH makes sense to me.

Barracuda is a fine rubber, with moderate speed and great spin; for me, it suited better for looping/pushing/chopping than for driving/hitting/blocking. The same goes for Rasant, which is slightly less spinnier (until fully engaged) and really, really fast. The Vega rubbers Carl mentioned are, I think, slightly better suited for direct play.

That blade is excellent and has years of fun development to offer.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I would advise against Baracuda at this stage because as spinny as that rubber is, it's a nightmare to control incoming spin with it. Would recommend something like Vega Intro (minimally softer and more forgiving version of the Vega Pro) or Vega Europe DF/Asia DF.

If you want to order Andro rubbers, Andro Hexer Duro is also a good choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
If you are coming from a pre-made, why are you looking to have two different rubbers for FH and BH? Do you know what your FH and BH do well? I would choose one rubber an get the same rubber for FH and BH. Unless you actually know how your FH or BH is specialized, and what specifically they need that are different from each other, I would get the same for both. As you develop you may learn what they need that are different. Until then, you are better off using the same rubber for both wings.

The blade is a good one for you to get as a first blade. I would think about getting Baracuda for both sides. Or perhaps getting Vega Europ or Vega Pro and whichever one you get, getting the same on both sides.

I personally think max is fine on that blade. But thickness is your choice. If you are trying to learn to spin, max is useful. If you are more driving the ball and not really working on changing that, thinner rubbers make more sense.

Could. Not. Agree. More.

Really, Carl, thank you. Now I know I am not alone in my thinking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
I also started out with same rubber on both sides (Mark V). I mostly agree with Carl's post. I think it's mostly good to take the same rubber on both sides as a beginner for the reasons that Carl mentioned

However, if you are choosing a harder rubber on the FH (like Rasant Grip), I don't think it's that great of an idea to take a rubber with >45° hardness ESN scale for the backhand. It's hard to get that much acceleration on the backhand side, especially if you are not in the right position.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go too soft on the backhand side either. I feel that it leads to a lot of bad habits (such as just tapping the ball over with the catapult of the soft rubber) rather than really trying to loop more.

Footwork and technique are punished more severely on the backhand side. At least that is my feeling. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would advise against Baracuda at this stage because as spinny as that rubber is, it's a nightmare to control incoming spin with it. Would recommend something like Vega Intro (minimally softer and more forgiving version of the Vega Pro) or Vega Europe DF/Asia DF.

If you want to order Andro rubbers, Andro Hexer Duro is also a good choice.

I think this is a good post.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Congrats on 10,000 likes @Carl. Are you the first? :D

Dan is sneaky. He has two accounts: Dan and TableTennisDaily. If you add the likes from both accounts, he has more than me. But he is too modest for that. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
boy o boy .... talk about sneaky ..... :p
Dan is sneaky. He has two accounts: Dan and TableTennisDaily. If you add the likes from both accounts, he has more than me. But he is too modest for that. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes , I agree with most of what has been said above , I saw the post and went to table tennis 11 to pick up a combo for the OP , then figured more qualified people will be forthcoming ...
I saw they have Yasaka Sweeden on discount too ... you could get that as well . Two simple things I would keep in mind if I were you :

1. When I hit the ball , can I tell I am hitting the sweet spot on the paddle or not , both on BH and FH side.
2. Can I spin the ball on both sides

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Get a Stiga Allround Evo on the cheep for 40 Teuros... Add some middle of the road allround OFF rubbers for 20 to 30 Teuros each... BANG... You are on budget.

Wait a minute... There is more... you can always do the infamous BEAST MOD to the blade... To make it easier to whip and loop.

I am on mobile... Someone c~n search and link...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Get a Stiga Allround Evo on the cheep for 40 Teuros... Add some middle of the road allround OFF rubbers for 20 to 30 Teuros each... BANG... You are on budget.
Wait a minute... There is more... you can always do the infamous BEAST MOD to the blade... To make it easier to whip and loop.
I am on mobile... Someone c~n search and link...
Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree with the Allround Evo suggestion. Having over $1k worth of equipment in my drawer and 10 years of playing experience, I always turned up my nose to cheap blades. That is, till my daughter learned to play. I bought her an Evolution and after some time she agreed to trade me her Evo for a new OC. I have put away my Violin, Viscaria and Freitas ALC ever since. Matched with medium-soft rubber, this blade offers the best balance of touch, control, feeling and speed for a loop style of play.

As I mentioned, my daughter plays with the Offensive Classic now. It is a decent blade, but needs sealing prior to gluing rubbers. I can play well with it as far as keeping the ball in play, but feel it lacks power. My loops don't land deep enough on the table for them to be troublesome. I can't go without saying how awful the noise is when contacting the ball. Sounds like a loud hollow "PIIINNNKK!!" Probably worse than the Infinity VPS. My daughter likes it, but I think it's because the OC looks better than the Evolution when sealed.