Should I buy DHS Long 5

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Hello everyone,

I am 27 196cm I play for 6 years now. I am currently the best player in the club (which is sad at the same time for further improvement)

Current Setup:
Blade: waldner diablo senso ST
FH: MX-D 2mm
BH: Gewo hype Kr 47.5 2.1mm
Videos from 2021/2022

Now I got a testcase. And I tested many other blades what stood out the most for me was the DHS Long 5 FL 94g.
others that are in the testcase:
TREIBER FO OFF/S
SYNTELIAC VCO -tested
TIMBER 5 OFF
KANTER FO ALL/S -tested was too light
Waldner Senso Carbon -tested slow
Donic Classic Allround -tested slow
Stratus Powerdefense -tested medium
Koki Niwa Victas -tested I liked it with my BH only
Balsa 6,5 Victas
Ma Lin Carbon -tested I liked it not as much as LONG 5 tho

I put the Fastarc G1 2.0mm on forehand and Gewo Hype KR 1.9mm BH on Long 5 alltogether ~194g compared to my old blade of 187g
and this is headheavy? I am not sure if thats the right term.

Here is how I played with DHS LONG 5

TT 2023 Training Session 28.06.2023 basically from yesterday.

The blade is FL and from the year 2015. I am not sure if the new one would give me the same nice feeling I get from this Blade.
All of sudden my rate for Counterloop increased from 10% to 80% and much more dangerous than before. I really like the short short game aswell (in the videos you can see it aswell)

I didnt like the blades less than 180g

Next season I will be playing 1 League up my current rating is around 1300 and everyone up there has 1400-2000 mostly around 1650. So its gonna be tough for me. I like to reach for balls in a passive way which this blade doesnt allow me to do so because they would fall into the net. So it´s kind of a invisible coach for me to make active strokes. I don´t have a coach really so any feedback is appreciated even if its going to be harsh.

What exercises can I do to improve my footwork, anticipation, tactics?

Thanks!

Reactions: JJ Ng and ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
I am from Austria. Which shop are you talking about? 350 is also a lot for something I havent tried out before
Oh, I bought mine from China. So if you have resources, buy directly from China it's a lot cheaper, just don't pay 900 for that, I got a #22, national version for around 500, the province version it's about 1800 Chinese dollars, hope you can get one, since you have a strong body you should try it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
What makes you think I have a strong body? I find myself weak bodywise, actually. This year in the new League I will most likely lose all yes all my games. I just wanna put up a fight so its not that easy for them. I also dont need the super fastest Setup. My current Setup on Diablo Senso is actually very fast maybe even too fast. I just liked the feeling of this blade very much and never ever experienced so much control when i was counterTS

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
What makes you think I have a strong body? I find myself weak bodywise, actually. This year in the new League I will most likely lose all yes all my games. I just wanna put up a fight so its not that easy for them. I also dont need the super fastest Setup. My current Setup on Diablo Senso is actually very fast maybe even too fast. I just liked the feeling of this blade very much and never ever experienced so much control when i was counterTS
I saw a few of your videos , your output power really not weak, but I don't know how you train your footwork, if you have a good caoch, they will train you how to put your foot body and arm together to fully output your strength.

You seem to like Your blade. Why change?

OK I see Your success rate went up.
Sorry I missed this.

Don’t know much about that blade but if it happened like that and it’s not due to different rubber, I would go for it.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
My blade doesnt really force me to do active shots. Because I can put the balls passively back on to the table. So to make the next big step in my development I kind of enjoyed playing with this blade which forces me to build that habit.
This was my 2nd Session with this new Setup cant tell if my success rate went up or not. But definitely see some progress in my shots. Its just very heavy so I don´t know if I will wear out during games and start making half assed shots which go instantly into the net...

And no I dont have a coach that can help me out. I might go for a 3-4days trainingscamp in germany or somewhere once I get my new setup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Well I live in a place where Table tennis is not so popular. Its just that in some clubs the younger best players are somewhat the coaches. But even they just come to train. We dont really have a coaching system.

I toughz myself watching youtube videos.
Its already hard enough to get someone to train with me that can block my balls. Only the 2nd best players can do multiball practise with me... so yeah thats a different topic.

Do i need to say something special wheb I order rhe normal Long 5 blade. This one was from 2015 and 94g. Maybe I tell them 90g is enough? I just hope I get the same good feeling with it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Well I live in a place where Table tennis is not so popular. Its just that in some clubs the younger best players are somewhat the coaches. But even they just come to train. We dont really have a coaching system.

Its already hard enough to get someone to train with me that can block my balls. Only the 2nd best players can do multiball practise with me... so yeah thats a different topic.

Do i need to say something special wheb I order rhe normal Long 5 blade. This one was from 2015 and 94g. Maybe I tell them 90g is enough? I just hope I get the same good feeling with it
Which blade are you referring to? On TT11, DHS Hurricane Long 5 is $159.69 and DHS W968 (Hurricane Long 5 National) is $817.50.

If you are referring to $159.69, then go for it. If it is $817.50, I just don't think any blade should cost that much. I know you can get it cheaper with connection in China but still $300 or $500 a blade from China still sounds high to me.

As for footwork, easy. Two ways: 1) three point forehand loop multi-ball practice. The coach will feed you multi-ball to your forehand, middle of the table and the backhand side of your table. But you have to play all three spots using your forehand. You cannot cheat and use backhand in any of those spots. If so, the coach will penalize you an ask you to do 10 push-up's. 2) play matches to improve and NOT to win. Meaning when you play matches, just pretend you will lose to some lower level players in your club but throughout the match you are going to forehand loop as much as you can. No reaching and doing lazy push. There is no shame in losing at the club. It is not like you are going to be demoted at work because you lose a match at the club. On the other hand, I would hate being a professional table tennis player because if you lose, yeah, literally and figuratively you will be demoted at your workplace!!! :)

I think tabletennis11 will let choose from their store. Shoot them a mail and ask.

But no two blades are the same. and an 8 year old blade has aged which means its characteristics may well have changed.
This is the way it is with wood.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I think tabletennis11 will let choose from their store. Shoot them a mail and ask.

But no two blades are the same. and an 8 year old blade has aged which means its characteristics may well have changed.
This is the way it is with wood.

Cheers
L-zr
Agree. TT11 is a good shop. It will let you choose.

Someone has said on the forum that over time the wood in the blade can dry up so it can feel different. In addition, who knows if there is some supply chain issues and what kind of wood (or substitute) the blade maker might use. Finally, even each blade coming out of the factory today is different. It might get taken from different section of the tree. The grain might be slightly different. However for us mere mortals, that probably won't matter too much.

Reactions: ben1229 and Lazer
Agree. TT11 is a good shop. It will let you choose.

Someone has said on the forum that over time the wood in the blade can dry up so it can feel different. In addition, who knows if there is some supply chain issues and what kind of wood (or substitute) the blade maker might use. Finally, even each blade coming out of the factory today is different. It might get taken from different section of the tree. The grain might be slightly different. However for us mere mortals, that probably won't matter too much.
As it dries it gets harder and with less flexibility. This will make it slower since it doesn’t bounce back as much. I can definitely see this in my 25 year old Primorac carbon.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hello everyone,

I am 27 196cm I play for 6 years now. I am currently the best player in the club (which is sad at the same time for further improvement)

Current Setup:
Videos from 2021/2022

Now I got a testcase. And I tested many other blades what stood out the most for me was the DHS Long 5 FL 94g.
TREIBER FO OFF/S
SYNTELIAC VCO -tested
TIMBER 5 OFF
Balsa 6,5 Victas

I put the Fastarc G1 2.0mm on forehand and Gewo Hype KR 1.9mm BH on Long 5 alltogether ~194g compared to my old blade of 187g

The blade is FL and from the year 2015. I am not sure if the new one would give me the same nice feeling I get from this Blade.
All of sudden my rate for Counterloop increased from 10% to 80% and much more dangerous than before. I really like the short short game aswell (in the videos you can see it aswell)

Next season I will be playing 1 League up my current rating is around 1300 and everyone up there has 1400-2000 mostly around 1650. So its gonna be tough for me. I like to reach for balls in a passive way which this blade doesnt allow me to do so because they would fall into the net. So it´s kind of a invisible coach for me to make active strokes. I don´t have a coach really so any feedback is appreciated even if its going to be harsh.

Thanks!
You can just cut your losses and get a DHS Fang Bo 2 carbon blade which is the same composition as HL5 for less than half price. If you buy it on Aliexpress you can just send a message to the shop that you want an XX gramm heavy blade and usually, they try to satisfy the customer's request. If you like it a lot then you either use it until it's worn, broken, you die etc or later you invest in a W968 for "big money".
Just be careful that the Fang Bo 2X is a little different blade, it is the same composition as HL5X, but Ma Long doesn't use the X variant.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
i agree, buying from tabletennis11.com will give you a very good price and they deliver very fast. On top of that you can shoot them an email and request a specific blade weight (which i did many times with them already). I would also strongly recommend to have them assemble the blade for you. They do a great job at it. Check the "free racket assembly" check box when choosing the blade. Unfortunately they don't have that specific GEWO rubber for your backhand so you either choose something different or just have them assemble that one forehand rubber for you and glue the backhand by yourself.

That would cost you €213.92

Reactions: Lazer
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hello everyone,

Current Setup:
Videos from 2021/2022

TREIBER FO OFF/S
SYNTELIAC VCO -tested
TIMBER 5 OFF
Balsa 6,5 Victas

Thanks!
Sure why not?
If you are a FH dominant, enjoy a looping game, prefer to loop for a winner on FH. Then it is for you.
I also have a Long V. One thing I like about it is the superb ergonomics design of the handle. It feels good to hold it. I feel like I want to loop all day long, but my looping sucks so I didn't use it.