Should I buy DHS Long 5

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I couldn't Pinpoint exactly what the reason was, but when you just hold the racket closed, it would make a high vowel? sound and fall straight down, if that makes sense. I didn't really experience this with other blades. I can do these type of shots with my old blade and people kind of hate it because they give a lot of energy into the ball and I take it all out and give them an empty slow ball back.

The c1 requires you to be all time focused and give the right amount of forward motion with your wrist. Works better if you spin the ball if that makes sense. With Rakza I could also do controlled straight shots without having to spin it.

Maybe I am talking some bullshiet here but that's how I got my impression from those 2 rubbers, correct me if it's wrong.
No, you are not wrong. From EJ'ing for a couple of years, I started realize blade also matters. So on wood blade, I like 47.5 degree or harder ESN on the backhand side. On carbon blades, I like soft soft ESN.

And every time I play with different ESN rubber, I can tell there are slight differences. I can adjust in practice. In a way they are all the same. But once I play matches, I truly find out what rubber I like the most.

So trust yourself. If your style and body physique fit certain blade and rubber well, then go for it. Equipment really is that personal. That's why I would render my opinion but people should just try via borrowing from their clubmates and then decide. Reading online forum may or may not help with your choices.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Can you verify that in reality after watching one of my videos that it is the case for my strokes?

I saw a chinese coach talking about FH loop that the elbow must be a bit away from the body and when you loop you bring up your elbow aswell with the same racket angle on the entire stroke.

I was comparing it to my technique and I think I have my elbow closer to my body.
At the expense of the elbow, it should not be pressed against the body in order to hinder movement, but it should not stick out too much. He must be in a natural position. There is no perfect technique, just like the position of the elbow, there is a technique that is described as close to ideal, for example, Ma Long's topspin forehand, and your task is to try to adapt this technique to your body.
I don’t know if I understood your question correctly, but you don’t need to shorten your movement, while focusing on the position of the elbow, but on the contrary, you need to learn how to use your long arm as a flexible whip, for this you need to relax your arm and give it an impulse with your feet - hips - shoulders.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
At the expense of the elbow, it should not be pressed against the body in order to hinder movement, but it should not stick out too much. He must be in a natural position. There is no perfect technique, just like the position of the elbow, there is a technique that is described as close to ideal, for example, Ma Long's topspin forehand, and your task is to try to adapt this technique to your body.
I don’t know if I understood your question correctly, but you don’t need to shorten your movement, while focusing on the position of the elbow, but on the contrary, you need to learn how to use your long arm as a flexible whip, for this you need to relax your arm and give it an impulse with your feet - hips - shoulders.
So here is how my Chinese coach taught me how to loop underspin with topspin growing up.

We agreed to start off with the ball falling down to be the timing where you loop the ball upward.

Then I started using my forearm (i.e. at the elbow) joint only. At that point, my elbow is literally attached to the side of my body. I was purely using my elbow joint and forearm to loop. By the way at that point, with tacky 729 friendship rubber, using only the forearm, I could loop slow spinny high loops that got me many points playing other junior players.

Once I mastered that, he asked me to add my waist to it.

After that he asked me to drop my shoulder and add my shoulder to the whole set of movements. In other words, start with the shoulder to initiate my arm movement, then move my forehand.

Then after that, he asked me to put weight on my right leg (I am right handed) and do a weight transfer while pushing off the ground.

Then he asked me to extend my elbow a bit further out of my body to really use my arm like a sling. That he showed me over and over again. Use it like a sling. Took me a while to get what he was talking about. It is about being totally relaxed before exploding your whole body and your whole arm to generate the power necessary for a loop attack.

The last two steps, which came together, was to hit the heavy backspin ball now at the top of the bounce and hit through the ball while brushing, and do ALL of the movements above. That last step really confused the heck out of me. Because he totally changed my timing and asked me to hit and brush at the same time? But what he was trying to do was to teach me a loop-drive. Meaning even if the ball coming at me with heavy backspin, I can still attack aggressively right off the bat and not try to play it safe and look to loop it back on the table "safely.' He wanted to attack aggressively even when facing a heavy backspin ball!

As you could tell, as a junior player, I was only playing once or at most twice a week (busy trying to get into university) so we had to progress slowly but we finally did it!

Now, my current coaches are saying that my elbow is too far out. The modern play is quick, fast (like how Chinese women play). My elbow being too far out of my body slows down my movement and makes my loop unnecessarily big, and impedes on my recovery time. One of my current coaches did tell me that he noticed my elbow was further out than he would like to but if I recover in time, he is not going to change that.

So how far your elbow goes out, you just need to figure out your comfort level. There is no one single right away to play table tennis.

Look at how Ma Long loops v.s. how Timo Boll loops. They loop quite differently.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB18frYmxWU

This is what I wanted to implement in my games. Because exactly like u said @SlowPower I saw that in a different video aswell with it should be just a tennisball wide.

But in this video it looks also effortless and somewhat "right"

When I look at how Ma Long loops, he loops with armpit not that wide and closer to the body. I dont know maybe it works because of his unique Setup.

Maybe I should check out the bigger players maybe Omar Assar and "copy" their forehand technique? I am as tall as him but with 10kg less on my belly.

This user has no status.
If you feel fine the way you loop and you have a satisfying succes rate, why change anything?

Nobody is perfect and as it has been said before, there are enough examples of good players who didnt have a technique as actually teached. (Look at Werner Schlager, strange FH loop but he was a worldclass player)

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
Did you buy Long 5 blade already?

You still have some to play or practice with?

I hope if i visit Europe one day then to find clubs near the hotels i stay in so i can go to watch or practice or even play sometimes, just not sure if it is allowed for non-members foreigners to come and enjoy TT over there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
1. League Game against stronger Opp
2. League Game against stronger Opp

Update with the Long5 Setup
Rubbers are G1 FH 2.0mm and Rakza 7 2.0mm (BH)
Because the setup is heavy and also headheavy it´s harder to adjust when you are in bad position and want to still pressure the ball. But the sound and feel if you can attack a slower ball is fantastic.

I still overshoot a lot. So adjusting the racket angle and attacking very topspin heavy balls is a problem for me. If the ball has no energy (very slow no spin on it) I struggle accelerating this kind of balls.

My best attacking balls are against blocks and long backspin balls. I can also do controlled blocks and force a weak ball by blocking to a difficult position for him.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Yes I just dont know what area I should focus on. It might be better to focus on not so many different strokes. Since its hard to keep them all at a higher standard. And rather focus on a few strokes and master them instead. What are your thoughts?
Movement or as they call it footwork is what you should focus on.

Another thing to focus on are two things:
1. Placement
2. Strategy

It is not about just hit the ball and return it back and hit hit hit so you both have mistakes without thinking, better to have control when needed and leave speed when the opportunity comes, i have good friends coming to the club i have access to, they are at higher level with each having different styles, one of them is just a rocket launcher, the other one is like a wizard, reading every spin and putting the balls in places you can't imagine, like he keeps you away from balls so you can open spaces on table then he can send it the other way, placement with control is unbelievable, me i only have backhand flick and backhand full arm smashes my weapon, but only against lower to same my level opponents and i keep focus on that weapon.