LF: Butterfly Blades

This user has no status.
I am considering to buy one of the below blades; however, need expert assistance from players who've played with them and also need guidance on where to buy from.

ALC:
Viscaria FL
Innerforce Layer ALC
Timo Boll ALC
Zhang Jike ALC
Garaydia ALC

ZLC
Liu Shiwen
Garaydia ZLC

My Gameplay:
Heavy Top-Spins/Loops from Mid/Close distance from the table
Extreme Spinny Serves (backspin, sidespin)

Rubbers I prefer:
FH: Evolution MXP
BH: Gold Arc 5 47.5, Rakza 7, GKI Hybrid GX, Evolution ELS, Sriver G3 FX

Thanks in advance

Cheers!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A couple of pieces of info for you:

1) All the blades you are choosing from are good blades. Throw a dart at a dart board or flip a coin to decide which one.

2) Viscaria, TB ALC & ZJK ALC are 97% the same blade. The main difference is the handle. So if you want one of those, choose the handle you like most. Because the rest is the same.

3) Liu Shiwen blade is ZLF not ZLC so, there is no carbon in the Liu Shiwen blade.

4) Your profile says you are from India. Paddle Palace is in USA. TTNPP is based in Hong Kong. Now Butterfly has a sales policy that enables them to fix prices within regions. They do not allow their authorized distributors to sell outside of their distribution region. So Paddle Palace can sell to people on the North American continent. I am not sure of the exact size of the region. But I am not sure they are allowed to sell Butterfly products to someone located in India. I am going to assume the same for TTNPP.

But a simple rule with Butterfly products is, if someone is able to sell them across regional distribution boundaries, there is a high chance you are buying counterfeit products. Because if a distributor does that, Butterfly will end the professional relationship and that seller will no longer be a Butterfly distributor.

So, whichever blade you decide on, find a local seller who is a legitimate AUTHORIZED Butterfly distributor.

Choose any of the blades. They all will be excellent. But find a reliable distributor from YOUR region.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
... Butterfly has a sales policy that enables them to fix prices within regions. They do not allow their authorized distributors to sell outside of their distribution region...

But a simple rule with Butterfly products is, if someone is able to sell them across regional distribution boundaries, there is a high chance you are buying counterfeit products. Because if a distributor does that, Butterfly will end the professional relationship and that seller will no longer be a Butterfly distributor.

... find a local seller who is a legitimate AUTHORIZED Butterfly distributor.

... find a reliable distributor from YOUR region.

A local private TT club stocks small quantities of T05, T64, and Viscaria blades exclusively and that's were I bought my T05 sheets for $70 each instead of $75 directly from BTY. I checked the product authenticity guide from BTY and the rubbers meet most of the criteria but the plastic package has no holographic logo on it. That, along with the reduced price, makes me think they may have fake T05 sheets but I cannot find a list of authorized dealers in my area. Is there such a list? I have written BTY about it but I doubt I will get an answer. TIA !

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A local private TT club stocks small quantities of T05, T64, and Viscaria blades exclusively and that's were I bought my T05 sheets for $70 each instead of $75 directly from BTY. I checked the product authenticity guide from BTY and the rubbers meet most of the criteria but the plastic package has no holographic logo on it. That, along with the reduced price, makes me think they may have fake T05 sheets but I cannot find a list of authorized dealers in my area. Is there such a list? I have written BTY about it but I doubt I will get an answer. TIA !

big_lou, your country flag says USA. Is that right? If it is, you should be able to order from Megaspin or Paddle Palace.

And I don’t think anyone can tell if your rubbers are real or fake without seeing them and, perhaps, the packaging.

But if they play well for you, don’t worry about it. And if those do not play really well, then they may not be real T05.

Anyway, this thread should be about the blades the OP is interested in.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Btw, Innerforce ALC is different altogether from Viscaria / TB ALC / ZJK ALC.

The TB ALC (personal opinion) has great feel, allows to impart a lot of spin in powerful shots, yet remains very controllable and allows for very accurate placement. It is also quite good in the blocking game. The one drawback I see is that it makes it quite tough to take off pace from the ball, even in the defensive game or on passive blocks. Like, really tough. Probably for the same reason that you can effortlessly play powerful shots. I feel it limits the style and creativity a little bit.

The Innerforce Layer ALC is much slower and woody in feeling if you're playing soft, for instance in the short game. The ALC layer probably kicks in only when you want to. That is, if you play long enough with it to really understand how it works (still not always sure tbh ;p). So you can play with a lot of touch, but it might not be as easy to execute as good a kill shot as with the other one in any situation (let's be honest, this is maybe not a real problem... you'll probably still kill it). Also coming from TB ALC, many people feel that Innerforce ALC is much more likely to drop passive blocks in the net. This is true upon switching, albeit nothing that can't be corrected over a few hours. The positive side again is that, because the blade is much less reactive if you are passive, drop shots and touch shots are very easy to do, while you can still play with good power on active shots. The "two-gear" behaviour still seems a bit artificial at times, like my hand is being held. Don't know if it's good or bad.

Also, my feeling is that every rubber you throw at a TB ALC works. I don't know if that's so true of the Innerforce ALC.

Finally, you could also try the Innerforce AL, which comes much cheaper (if still sold), and is a very good all/off blade with great feeling. Shouldn't disappoint good allround players who enjoy variation and placement more than seeing their own shots blocked past them.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
Btw, Innerforce ALC is different altogether from Viscaria / TB ALC / ZJK ALC.

The TB ALC (personal opinion) has great feel, allows to impart a lot of spin in powerful shots, yet remains very controllable and allows for very accurate placement. It is also quite good in the blocking game. The one drawback I see is that it makes it quite tough to take off pace from the ball, even in the defensive game or on passive blocks. Like, really tough. Probably for the same reason that you can effortlessly play powerful shots. I feel it limits the style and creativity a little bit.

The Innerforce Layer ALC is much slower and woody in feeling if you're playing soft, for instance in the short game. The ALC layer probably kicks in only when you want to. That is, if you play long enough with it to really understand how it works (still not always sure tbh ;p). So you can play with a lot of touch, but it might not be as easy to execute as good a kill shot as with the other one in any situation (let's be honest, this is maybe not a real problem... you'll probably still kill it). Also coming from TB ALC, many people feel that Innerforce ALC is much more likely to drop passive blocks in the net. This is true upon switching, albeit nothing that can't be corrected over a few hours. The positive side again is that, because the blade is much less reactive if you are passive, drop shots and touch shots are very easy to do, while you can still play with good power on active shots. The "two-gear" behaviour still seems a bit artificial at times, like my hand is being held. Don't know if it's good or bad.

Also, my feeling is that every rubber you throw at a TB ALC works. I don't know if that's so true of the Innerforce ALC.

Finally, you could also try the Innerforce AL, which comes much cheaper (if still sold), and is a very good all/off blade with great feeling. Shouldn't disappoint good allround players who enjoy variation and placement more than seeing their own shots blocked past them.

Great information, thank you

There are 2 blades which are available in the market:
- Innerforce Layer ALC
- Innerforce Layer ALC.S

the old ones are stopped. I am tempted to buy these

NDH

says Spin to win!
For what it's worth - The Garaydia ZLC has served me very well.

I know it doesn't get a lot of love - Probably due to the cost and lack of "wow" factor - But I've used it for 2 years and have found it excellent.

I preferred it to the Garaydia ALC I tried (I found the throw angle slightly higher on the ZLC).

However, the short game does suffer a little due to the speed of the blade!

Good luck

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
For what it's worth - The Garaydia ZLC has served me very well.

I know it doesn't get a lot of love - Probably due to the cost and lack of "wow" factor - But I've used it for 2 years and have found it excellent.

I preferred it to the Garaydia ALC I tried (I found the throw angle slightly higher on the ZLC).

However, the short game does suffer a little due to the speed of the blade!

Good luck

Hinoki or Cypress as a top ply always gives something special.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
To an earlier question. Btfly came out with a ZJK ALC with a blue dragon on it earlier. I bought one, hit with a few others and thecweight balance was weird. Btfly discontinued it and not many were sold. A little later they came out with the current ZJK series, which includes an ALC that I think is better. Still, ZJK himself uses a Viscaria, which I personally think is the best ALC blade.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
To an earlier question. Btfly came out with a ZJK ALC with a blue dragon on it earlier. I bought one, hit with a few others and thecweight balance was weird. Btfly discontinued it and not many were sold. A little later they came out with the current ZJK series, which includes an ALC that I think is better. Still, ZJK himself uses a Viscaria, which I personally think is the best ALC blade.

I know pro and semi-pro players, who like the ZJK ALC and it's their choosen weapon, but the Viscaria somehow didn't fit their style, despite the minor differences. They tried multiple blades from both series.