Intermediate rubber/blade suggestions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Skill level:
I am an intermediate player as roughly defined in the article "The Different Table Tennis Playing Levels" by Greg Letts (sorry im unable to post links until 5 posts). I have been playing with the Palio Expert 2 and it is now a little beat up. However, I don't feel like i've outgrown the speed of the paddle, so i'm not necessarily looking for a faster setup.
I enjoy being a looper but need to work on consistency. I am at the point in my game where I try to loop everything for the sake of practice and make a lot of errors on shots where a better stroke could have been used. Recently i've enjoyed standing farther back from the table and waiting for counter loop opportunities.

What im looking for:
I am a little lost as to what to look for as I don't really know what the Palio Expert 2 rubbers and blade attributes are. Im also confused as I hear conflicting advice to beginner/intermediates of buying a faster blade with a slow rubber vs. buying a slow blade with a faster rubber.

One thing i do hear from the table tennis daily reviews that interests me is the concept of "dwell time" and having a better "feel". But maybe my current Palio Expert 2 has enough of that and more wouldn't be better?

I am not looking for the cheapest options. I'm fine with paying more for better quality. With that said, I don't want to end up with a setup thats harder to player with than the Palio Expert 2.If anyone knows or has had experience with the Palio Expert 2, id appreciate some comparisons with other rubbers and blades.

Lots of options but important thing is it is controllable. The best you can do is try and borrow another player's rack. If not then there are set ups that are considered safe and proven choices. You can try using stiga azalea offensive or xiom offenaive s for the blade. For the rubber maybe Yasaka Rakza 7 or Xiom Vega pro 2.0

I am an intermediate player as well. Despite not being the youngest, can move pretty well, and my mentality is always offensive.
For almost a year I've used DHS Hurricane Long 3, which is a fast blade, and Xiom Vega Pro on both sides. My setup was fast, but it took me only a month to get used to the speed when attacking, but almost 6 months to improve my short game. Also consider that I have been playing table tennis consistently for only a year.

I would recommend Vega Pro to anyone, although I just changed my rubber. Lots of control, great for looping, medium hard sponge, great price. I was never bothered by speed of it. Highly recommend!

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'd suggest something like Appelgren Allplay with Yasaka Mark 5 on both sides.
Or if you want a nice wood blade with a LOT of power hidden in it for when you start hitting the ball a bit harder, I really love the Tibhar Samsonov Alpha SGS.

Rubbers like Vega Pro are very fast to start with. It even says "pro" in the name! :p
It's better to start with something that's entirely spin focused, with little speed. The extra spin will let you hit harder strokes with more power and develop good consistent technique.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Every time I see one of these threads, I just wanna pull a Woody Woodpecker... but then again, a new forum member isn't gunna automatically do a search and see the 283 different threads on this topic in the last 15 months and come out with any sanity.

Get some middle of the road stuff and keep it for a year, improve, and move on from there.

What is middle of the road? ALL to OFF- blade, modern of old-school control oriented offensive rubbers.

This is an endless amount of possible combinations. Just get one and use it a year. Don't sweat tech specs among the middle of the road class.

If you want to contact a vendor on the continent and not pay too much, ask Cole at colestt.com he should ship to Canada and will quickly tell you what is what. You could get setup for $50 or less easily, $75 max. Compared to my shop, where the cheapest a new complete bat would be $150ish. Paddle palace will have many options around $100 give or take.

Coles 896 Blade, Air Illumina Delta is one example there. $50 ish with shipping and a bat case. Tough to beat that.

PP - OK, was wrong, mostly $120-$140 example Samsonov Pure wood with FX-P or Aurus soft $128

Nexy USA - Spear blade with Karis M/Elpis = $140

These are 3 of 3 million possible combos. Don't sweat the specs so much, just get in the ball park, error on the side of softer rubbers at first.

Last edited: