Going soft? (Rubber suggestions moving away from MX-S?)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I’ve been playing with a pair of MX-S (in 1.9mm-for lower weight, I normally play max sponge) for 2 years, on a Donic Appelgren Allplay for about half that time (and on Nexy Arche before that). I settled on MX-S because I loved their linearity, spin potential, and their stability on every shot. They’re also great value imo—easy to find for less than 40usd, and very durable.

I also liked the way they put my looping technique under a microscope: making a thin brush contact, high head speed, or ideally both a must to get good spin on opening loops. Of course, this microscope effect works by making opening loops a lower percentage shot.

At this point, I suspect my game (and mindset) would benefit more from a setup that gives me a nice safety margin to get effective spin on opening loops. I’m thinking: softer, more forgiving looping rubber that are more geared towards spin and control than speed. (Giving up the linearity of MX-S seems worth it if the gain in safety margin on opening loops is substantial.)

Limiting considerations: easy to find under 40usd; good reputation for longevity. Also looking to use the same rubbers on each side.

Would either FX-P or FX-S be a compelling choice? If so which in particular? If not, what would you suggest and why?

FX-P and FX-S might be too soft. EL-S would be the next logical choice in my opinion. I also liked the linearity of the MX-S but really feared the amount of work I would have to invest in every shot. I'm right now playing with an Omega V Tour which I would see as sitting right between MX-P and MX-S. A little bit more catapult compared to the MX-S without the sudden change of "gears" you get with the "beast" MX-P. If you want to step a little further down, Nittaku Fastarc G1 and Xiom Vega Pro might also work. For me, the Vega Pro is a tad more bouncier and therefore the G1 more linear.
What I also really liked was a MX-P on a Stiga Allround Classic which one of our best kids in my club was using on his FH. The slow blade made up for the "beast" component of the MX-P. You're playing the Applegren, which is in the same region.

Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
FX-P and FX-S might be too soft. EL-S would be the next logical choice in my opinion.

My thinking on why go all the way to FX instead of EL is this. If I'm going to give up on the upsides of MX-S in terms of linearity and touch play—which I would with any of the other Evolution rubbers (and pretty much any modern rubber outside of something like Karis)— I want as much safety margin as I can get with opening loops. Easy sponge activation is its own form of predictability with catapulty rubbers, which AFAIK is a big part of the point of FX level sponge hardness (or, e.g. Fastarc C-1). Also, if lower top end speed becomes a problem, I won't mind going back to something like my Arche..

All in all, I'm quite confident I want to go in the direction of a medium-soft modern looping rubber. I'm more hesitant about which one in particular..

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
FX-S does not lack pace when you really hit hard, it is a very dynamic rubber, massive spin. Makes a HUGE sound on those impacts that will have opponents sic the Goon Squad on you for boosting when you didnt.

FX-S also has great control on slow openers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Sergey Scoobie Doo Tsos will take my years old MX-P wipe it and play another 300 hrs with it no problem at 2100+ usatt level.

Yes, it lasts, so does FX-P.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sergey might be good at playing with a brick. What about the pure mortals? The consensus on the web is that MX-P's sponge just happen to die fairly quickly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Sergey might be good at playing with a brick. What about the pure mortals? The consensus on the web is that MX-P's sponge just happen to die fairly quickly.

I've seen a lot of rips, a lot of "oxidation", and a few "crackling" of topsheets over the years. Never seen a sponge "die".

Got an 8 year old sheet of Xiom Zeta. All of the above topsheet symptoms, but the sponge is as bouncy as any "modern tensor".

If the sponge shrinks or feel not as fast as it used to be, just sprinkle some juice.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
EL-S is good. I find myself keep coming back to it despite trying several other rubbers.
Its easy to tame, good for touches, good spin, good for opening up.
Downside for me is, it feels "short" and does not reach the end of the other side when paired with 5 ply blades.
So I am now using ELS on a Clipper, which is very good.
Control and power with this combo.

I have previously used MXS, MXP, Hexer Grip, S2, G1, Factive, Baracuda, T05FX, Select Prime & Select, etc etc...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do FX-P, FX-S, MX-P, MX-S have similar durability? Without boosting do they last shorter than other ESN rubbers? I've read that MX-P's sponge dies quickly. Is the same true for all rubbers in this series?

This is my perspective....and perhaps I am saying what Der_Echte was saying in a slightly different way.

With MXP and FXP, (those are the two I have tried, liked, bough and used for the long haul) I actually like them better after the boost wears off. If you are addicted to the boost effect, just reboost. But for me, once the boost has worn off I am just as happy with the rubber....well....no....I am more happy with the rubber.

So.....I guess it depends on you. But for me they last a long time and continue to grab and spin the ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
All of the evolution rubbers have bad durability from what I've seen. If you like them, just buy a bunch from tt11 at the discount price and keep them stored for those days of defeat from slick rubber surfaces.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
All of the evolution rubbers have bad durability from what I've seen. If you like them, just buy a bunch from tt11 at the discount price and keep them stored for those days of defeat from slick rubber surfaces.

My 2 year old MX-S pair begs to differ. They just won’t die, and stay grippy as a cat.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
True, my old MX-S doesn't grip the ball particularly well, and it takes a lot of effort to get a respectable spin off loops. A same effort with a new sheet would make my opponent block the ball 2+ meters off the table.

I'd recommend Nittaku Fastarc G-1, which is actually pretty close to MX-S, but easier to use. A boosted G-1 will give you enough catapult and a very good feel to make opening loops easier than with MX-S.