Has Table Tennis become more entertaining to watch since the ban of speed glue?

Has Table Tennis become more entertaining to watch since the ban of speed glue?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I think it's more about the competition among the top chinese that brought the skill level in general higher. i.e. I think tt would have become more entertaining with or without the speedglue ban (no that i disagree with that policy in particular)

nowadays u can see both forehand and backhands excelled by chinese players. i think it's such a good trend to see. you don't see this in many sports. first u see malong and zjk and xuxin competing, n then you see fzd trying to get both the good sides of both zjk (backhand and explosiveness) and ml (transition between strokes, coordination, reflex and tiredlessness approach in general.)

I think there should be a thread comparing tt nowadays, 5 yrs ago, and 10 yrs ago.

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
In my point of view, yes!
Players had to adapt to the speed glue ban, resulting in more physical and strength training to compensate the missing "speed" from shots. But just as perniciousnc said above, table tennis would have evolved naturally with or without the ban of speed glue.
Players will always adapt, just like it happened when the sponged bat was introduced to table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2014
This video is an example of how the new generation of Chinese players have greatly improved the entertainment value of table tennis in my opinion. Table tennis would have improved with or without the ban. The question is, would table tennis have become even more entertaining than it is today without the ban? I would say no. New age tensor rubber is pretty similar to speed glued rubber of the pre-ban era. It's just more expensive. Which is what I think ittf was going for.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This video is an example of how the new generation of Chinese players have greatly improved the entertainment value of table tennis in my opinion. Table tennis would have improved with or without the ban. The question is, would table tennis have become even more entertaining than it is today without the ban? I would say no. New age tensor rubber is pretty similar to speed glued rubber of the pre-ban era. It's just more expensive. Which is what I think ittf was going for.

See, I love these two guys. Their level of play is phenomenal. At one point they showed a score of 1-1 (games) and 11-3. Not a close game. Not too much drama. The score of the last game was 14-12 but the score in games of the match was 3-1. Not too close. There are a few rallies in there that are amazing. But, there are so many rallies that are over by the time you get to the third ball. The level of play is great. But, it is not a nail bitter of a match.

The score of the last 3 games of the best of 7 match I posted were 12-14, 9-11, 12-10. Deuce in the 5th game, Deuce in the 7th game. Some of the rallies between Kong and Joo are totally ridiculous: amazing.

I play at a club where they have video monitors in several locations and they are constantly playing video reels of great rallies from all different eras. The rallies from the 1990s when Persson, Waldner, Raskopf, Kong, Gouliang, Saive, etc, were playing always seem to be a bit longer, a bit more dramatic, there are more shifts in momentum. It was more common back then for a person to get put on defense, back up and lob, find a shot to counter-loop, and get back into the point on offense. Today, the offense is so good that it seems rare to find a guy backed up and lobbing against a top player who can actually shift the momentum and get back in the point. So there is less drama within the rallies.

Today, the offense is actually so good that the points end faster. And therefore, in my opinion, even though the level of play might be a little higher, the level of excitement from the spectator standpoint is either the same or not quite as high.

Of course this is just my perspective.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Speed glue ban has not changed the game at elite level

I believe that the effect of the loss of speed of speed glue is very low compared to that of changing from 38mm to 40mm ball and banning the no-see serve.
Speed glue was simply replaced by boosting. Ok, not as great an effect, but close enough especially when applied by experts on specially chosen rubbers.
The XX, ML ZJH generation are all more or less children of the 40mm ball.
These guys have no respect for spin as much as the older players. In the old days a short spinny push was usually met with caution. With the 40mm ball, as long as the player is in position, then pow! from a banana flick.
To me, these guys are great for spectacular play. But there's little drama as there's no cautionary placements, chops (from non-defenders) or slow-spin play. It's all wham! bang! thank you, ma'am!
Bring back the 38mm ball where skill and tactics really counted, I say.....[irony]

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I believe that the effect of the loss of speed of speed glue is very low compared to that of changing from 38mm to 40mm ball and banning the no-see serve.
Speed glue was simply replaced by boosting. Ok, not as great an effect, but close enough especially when applied by experts on specially chosen rubbers.
These guys have no respect for spin as much as the older players. In the old days a short spinny push was usually met with caution. With the 40mm ball, as long as the player is in position, then pow! from a banana flick.
To me, these guys are great for spectacular play. But there's little drama as there's no cautionary placements, chops (from non-defenders) or slow-spin play. It's all wham! bang! thank you, ma'am!
Bring back the 38mm ball where skill and tactics really counted, I say.....[irony]

Tiny... I think everyone at all levels have become better but Chinese even moar. Sure we had some once in a generation players in 80s 90s but all in all we ALL got better regardless of rule or equipment changes.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

It's scientifically true that the smaller the radius of an object less spin it will have (check spinning techiniques from ice skaters). In the old days rubbers weren't that grippy, and were a lot bouncier (due to speedglue abuse). It wasn't because of how much spin on the ball, but because their rubbers would shoot the ball out of the table.

The game nowadays is changed, they increased 2mm in diameter which reduces and makes harder to produce spin. But following the changes, manufacturers also developed new technologies to rubbers and blades. In my point of view, this increased the level of difficulty to react to both incoming SPIN and SPEED.
Even players nowadays have athleticism compared to other sports, as muscle strength and technique evolved, it contributed to make the sport even more competitive.

Nowadays is pretty hard to see players with short-long pimples, the european non-grippy rubbers and the infamous anti-spin. The game has evolved, and is much harder than ever before.