Which physical exercises are the best for table tennis improvement?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
This stuff is good.

Ilia, where is that video you posted in the last thread on this subject. It was excellent.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Oops, I missed this thread somehow :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
BTW, footwork drills are important not just because they are physical. Another thing is that your brain and eyes get exposed to the blocker that changes direction all the time. As the result, it improves anticipation as you learn how to anticipate the ball direction from the angle of opponent's racket (hello TTEdge). For the same reason it is very important to play the controller role while your friend is doing the footwork. Footwork that both involve FH and BH improve switching skills.

BTW I absolutely love playing the controller and blocking for people. As long as they are not hitting too hard for me to return :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oops, I missed this thread somehow :)

I was hoping you might get to it and some point because these are good exercises.

By the way, that video Suga D posted of the German team working out is pretty cool.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Paul Drinkhall recently updated his "Play it like Paul" series which coincidentally covers "Table Tennis Specific Fitness" which might be worth a read ?

https://bribartt.co.uk/paul/

Hope it helps :)

Nice read. The exercises he mentions are all quite good for exactly what you would need to help your table tennis fitness to improve.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I was hoping you might get to it and some point because these are good exercises.

By the way, that video Suga D posted of the German team working out is pretty cool.

Since you seemed to like the vids, I´ve found two more from the German women´s team.

Wan Guohui almost has the same ballfeeding-speed like the famous ZJK Coach...
[Emoji12]
The second one is from 2013 but.....
Apolonia´s wife looks pretty stunning in her fancy workout dress.

[Emoji12]

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Since you seemed to like the vids, I´ve found two more from the German women´s team.

[Emoji12]

[Emoji12]

Again, good videos. I would love to be fed multiball like that on a consistent basis. That definitely helps you improve.

I really like the last video with the jumps with the hoops where they take a bigger jump and then a little jump. There is something in that that is very related to certain movements in TT where you take a shot and then you have to scoot back into a set position.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
It almost looks like the split step some of the players do in tennis when receiving serve , isn't it ?
Again, good videos. I would love to be fed multiball like that on a consistent basis. That definitely helps you improve.

I really like the last video with the jumps with the hoops where they take a bigger jump and then a little jump. There is something in that that is very related to certain movements in TT where you take a shot and then you have to scoot back into a set position.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What would you recommend to someone who has about 45 minutes a day to spend on exercises? This is something I would love to start doing. Thanks

Those exercises in Suga D's video's of the men, particularly the jumping, is pretty good. If you mix things in with a bunch of other things, you get a pretty full workout.

Like, last night, after finishing work, I had an hour to work out.

1) I started with shadow drills and ladder footwork drills to warm up.

2) then I mixed in some crutches, some side plank work and some push-ups.

3) then I went back to ladder drills and shadow stroke/footwork drills.

4) then I started adding lateral sprints.

5) then I did jumps on one leg, then the other, then both legs.

6) back to core work like crunch and sit-up variations; more push-ups, more side plank.

7) back to ladder drills and shadow drills.

8) moving laterally in plank.

9) jumps: 1 leg, other leg, both legs. Fast, little jumps with legs wide and bent like a squat or horse stance from martial arts. Kind of like the jumps up the stairs from one of Suga D's German Men's team videos, but I didn't have stairs.

After 45 min of cycling from one exercise to the next, I felt I had worked pretty hard and got my heart rate up nicely. So I went and hit the weights for 15 min.

Since I'm getting old, I feel I need to do stuff like that on a more regular basis. For me, that method of changing exercises over and over makes it so I can make working out fun.

And in the videos from the German team, you can see they set up stations and go from station to station.

I also want to try out those lateral figure eights and jump-down and lateral figure eights from Ilia's WSI videos. The side planks and side lifting exercises from those videos are really great work as well. Those side plank exercises are one of my favorites.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What's the general opinion on squatting with weight?

Excellent. At high levels one of the most important things for adding power to your loop. But good for everyone.

Mike Landers informed me that nothing was as useful for him in his non TT training routine as squats: he may have mentioned dead lifts as well.

says what [IMG]
Excellent. At high levels one of the most important things for adding power to your loop. But good for everyone.

Mike Landers informed me that nothing was as useful for him in his non TT training routine as squats: he may have mentioned dead lifts as well.

What's the usual rep/weight range for table tennis athletes?

Looking at the legs of pros, most likely for mass. But I might be wrong.

This user has no status.

All of them. Your endurance affects your strength, your strength affects your power. Mass affects everything. Start with lower weight and higher reps and progress to heavier weight and lower reps. Never sacrifice your form to put more weight on the bar. Generally speaking, you need to hit good depth to activate the most muscle.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I have no idea about reps, but the way stuff with weights work is based on the number of reps you can do before the target muscles hit failure. Hitting failure at 4-6 reps is for maximum mass. Hitting failure at 8-10 reps is more general. And hitting failure at 12-15 reps is less for size or strength and more for cut. What weight a person would hit failure at for each number of reps would be different person by person. And as a person gets stronger at the exercise the weight for failure with each number of reps should start going up.

But I will see if I can ask Mike what number of reps he was using for squats.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Those exercises in Suga D's video's of the men, particularly the jumping, is pretty good. If you mix things in with a bunch of other things, you get a pretty full workout.

Like, last night, after finishing work, I had an hour to work out.

1) I started with shadow drills and ladder footwork drills to warm up.

2) then I mixed in some crutches, some side plank work and some push-ups.

3) then I went back to ladder drills and shadow stroke/footwork drills.

4) then I started adding lateral sprints.

5) then I did jumps on one leg, then the other, then both legs.

6) back to core work like crunch and sit-up variations; more push-ups, more side plank.

7) back to ladder drills and shadow drills.

8) moving laterally in plank.

9) jumps: 1 leg, other leg, both legs. Fast, little jumps with legs wide and bent like a squat or horse stance from martial arts. Kind of like the jumps up the stairs from one of Suga D's German Men's team videos, but I didn't have stairs.

After 45 min of cycling from one exercise to the next, I felt I had worked pretty hard and got my heart rate up nicely. So I went and hit the weights for 15 min.

Since I'm getting old, I feel I need to do stuff like that on a more regular basis. For me, that method of changing exercises over and over makes it so I can make working out fun.

And in the videos from the German team, you can see they set up stations and go from station to station.

I also want to try out those lateral figure eights and jump-down and lateral figure eights from Ilia's WSI videos. The side planks and side lifting exercises from those videos are really great work as well. Those side plank exercises are one of my favorites.

Wow. Respect!
You're really challenging yourself.
[Emoji106]
That sounds like a serious and tough workout.
BTW: I really love Ilia's vids too.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wow. Respect!
You're really challenging yourself.
[Emoji106]
That sounds like a serious and tough workout.
BTW: I really love Ilia's vids too.

I have not had time to do stuff like that in a while and I really love mixing things up and making the workout fun and interesting.

I definitely cooked myself. [emoji2] It felt good. I was drenched in sweat and my heart and breath were working overtime by the end.

Funny thing is, with all the jumps, the thing I feel the most is my abs. Good stuff.

The videos you listed from the German team gave me a few new twists to make things feel fresh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I think as for amateur player, the stretching and the cool-down is much more important than the physical training. Not many coaches I know, carefully do the good routine of the stretching and cool down routine. The physical training is a must for a high level table tennis, as stamina, explosiveness and power are required at the high level.
For the warm up and some small physical training, you can find a good book "Stretching of Bob Anderson" or "The complete manual of specific stretching". May be, I will cover about it in my next videos.

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

[Emoji12]

[Emoji12]

In this post by Suga D from the Exercises for TT thread, the first video is multiball. At about 35 seconds they start showing a random drill where the woman has to be set for the ball to go in either direction. You can see what the reset looks like in that video. As the drill gets faster the reset is faster but more pronounced.

I think that is something like what yecats is talking about Archo. That is the reset. So it is with the whole body, feet, hips, and both arms.

The way I was taught it, the reset is part of the stroke. In some sense the stroke is not done until you are set for the next ball. Which, ideally should happen as your shot lands on the other side of the table. That is so you are set and can watch the ball as it is hit to be ready to move to the opponents next shot.

[Doh: this was for Archo in the chit chat thread. Hahahaha.]

Last edited: