FS: Two Heavy (100g +) Homemade Blades $30 Each

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I generally prefer to play with heavy wood blades, sometimes a "normal weight, but feel at impact (solid) is real important to me. Balance as low as possible is important. A "normal" sized head is OK for me. I prefer THICK handles, even if I have small paws. I will often grip tape the blade until it is the "right" thickness for me. I emphasize SPIN creation, it is my control. I do not like super vibraty or too flexy blades at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I generally prefer to play with heavy wood blades, sometimes a "normal weight, but feel at impact (solid) is real important to me. Balance as low as possible is important. A "normal" sized head is OK for me. I prefer THICK handles, even if I have small paws. I will often grip tape the blade until it is the "right" thickness for me. I emphasize SPIN creation, it is my control. I do not like super vibraty or too flexy blades at all.

Okay - that sounds easy enough! I have been making some Koto-Koto-Kiri-Koto-Koto blades (fantastic control, decent speed for a 5-ply) that are in the 81-85g range, but I bet with a thick, solid Wenge or Ipe handle, it would be heavy (95g or so) with a very low balance point.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nate made and shipped me the Koto-Koto-Kiri-Koto-Koto blade he said he was gunna do. My sorry azz didn't take any pics... blade face looked plain Jane, but the handle would get a second look. It was fat enough, I still might put on grip tape as I am used to that kind of grip and feel. I slapped on some really old rubbers, I know, I was out of time before league and only had a few minutes.

Balance was heavy low, anyone could feel it. With rubbers and no grip tape, good overall balance and feel at impact. Overall speed on well struck balls a real slow OFF- or upper ALL+. The quick water glue job didn't do it any justice on FH, my BH glue job was better and I could feel I could topspin open all day with it.

TTD forum member "erm", who knows about every blade maker on the planet liked the blade... great feel at impact and good spin, but slow for him.

Myself, Karis+ or a modern dynamic rubber on FH properly glued will show me what it can do on FH on a power shot and a FH slow opener. My bad choice of old rubber and bad glue job tainted my initial quick test.

I am not adverse to using a slower blade with feel and control. As much a macho-man shots I do for finishing, I don't need to hear Village People singing anything. There is nothing wrong with spinning and being consistent, even if it goes against a lot of peoples' grains.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Thanks for the initial impression! I'm glad you've been willing to spend some time with them and share your feedback. I'm hoping the blade speeds up with some Karis+ rubber. I completely agree - there is very little aesthetic value to most of the Koto that I have, but I've been happy with how it plays (control seems excellent). Here was one of the photos I took before I sent it:

34963284_10102885479992400_117178918426902528_n.jpg

Nate made and shipped me the Koto-Koto-Kiri-Koto-Koto blade he said he was gunna do. My sorry azz didn't take any pics... blade face looked plain Jane, but the handle would get a second look. It was fat enough, I still might put on grip tape as I am used to that kind of grip and feel. I slapped on some really old rubbers, I know, I was out of time before league and only had a few minutes.

Balance was heavy low, anyone could feel it. With rubbers and no grip tape, good overall balance and feel at impact. Overall speed on well struck balls a real slow OFF- or upper ALL+. The quick water glue job didn't do it any justice on FH, my BH glue job was better and I could feel I could topspin open all day with it.

TTD forum member "erm", who knows about every blade maker on the planet liked the blade... great feel at impact and good spin, but slow for him.

Myself, Karis+ or a modern dynamic rubber on FH properly glued will show me what it can do on FH on a power shot and a FH slow opener. My bad choice of old rubber and bad glue job tainted my initial quick test.

I am not adverse to using a slower blade with feel and control. As much a macho-man shots I do for finishing, I don't need to hear Village People singing anything. There is nothing wrong with spinning and being consistent, even if it goes against a lot of peoples' grains.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My friend who is not Scoobie Sergie told ne the specs he wants.

He wants oversized blade for defender (he is an LP close to table puncher)

He wants a dual speed blade, mostly DEF+ speed. He would like a combo blade - one side faster than other. I am not sure how you want to achieve that endstate, whether it is from gluing or different wood.

Personally, I think a DEF+ to ALL- oversized blade with a fat ST handle will do him right.

I know Nate you want to get the blade out there to see what you can do and get into the trade some more, but I'll buy it for my friend and have him review.

Warning, this guy is a notorious EJ who will shame the most serious EJs in a New York Minute.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
My friend who is not Scoobie Sergie told ne the specs he wants.

He wants oversized blade for defender (he is an LP close to table puncher)

He wants a dual speed blade, mostly DEF+ speed. He would like a combo blade - one side faster than other. I am not sure how you want to achieve that endstate, whether it is from gluing or different wood.

Personally, I think a DEF+ to ALL- oversized blade with a fat ST handle will do him right.

I know Nate you want to get the blade out there to see what you can do and get into the trade some more, but I'll buy it for my friend and have him review.

Warning, this guy is a notorious EJ who will shame the most serious EJs in a New York Minute.

I can definitely manage putting something together that would suit his needs - I'll go with different ply layering on each side. Is there a weight range he would like?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
George is not super crazy demanding it being extra light. He liked the Joo Se Hyuk and that blade isn't a featherweight.

I would say make the ST handle fat without 50 grams extra weight there and make it overall slowish. Feel and big blade face/sweet spot/impact feel are more important than a light weight.

Reactions: Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
George is not super crazy demanding it being extra light. He liked the Joo Se Hyuk and that blade isn't a featherweight.

I would say make the ST handle fat without 50 grams extra weight there and make it overall slowish. Feel and big blade face/sweet spot/impact feel are more important than a light weight.
Der_Echte,

I built one that should meet all of those specifications (hopefully different speeds/characteristics from the asymmetrical assembly of the plies).

This blade: 87 grams, 159 x 159 mm blade-face, 5.7 mm thick: Limba-Koto-Kiri-Limba-Koto.

Handle: Walnut, 28 mm wide, 25.5 mm tall, 102 mm long

20180701_134751_HDR.jpg

20180701_135215.jpg

20180701_135312.jpg

20180701_135052.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
MY friend George got the blade in his hands today.

HIGHLY IMPRESSED. Looks, yes, but performance counted more. Plus he knows he got something no one else got... yet.

He hit one match with it in a round robin. WON.

I had a 5 minute hit with him. I looped or heavy looped or fast looped. He blocked well - better than usual. His LP bumps were there.

George mentioned he could have accommodated an even heavier bat.

I told him that he was able to make the kind of shots he wanted (he has 5 main shots), that he could land the shot he wanted high consistency, and place it where he wanted.

What the F else would he want in a blade/rubber combo for his game? Cook dinner?

I advised him to stick with this blade a month and see how it goes. He might be ready for heavier then, but what the heck, this blade is smack middle of his appropriate zone and he should stick with it a while.

I have no pics, just a quick first observation and thanks.

Hopefully, George will Join TTD and comment further directly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
MY friend George got the blade in his hands today.

HIGHLY IMPRESSED. Looks, yes, but performance counted more. Plus he knows he got something no one else got... yet.

He hit one match with it in a round robin. WON.

I had a 5 minute hit with him. I looped or heavy looped or fast looped. He blocked well - better than usual. His LP bumps were there.

George mentioned he could have accommodated an even heavier bat.

I told him that he was able to make the kind of shots he wanted (he has 5 main shots), that he could land the shot he wanted high consistency, and place it where he wanted.

What the F else would he want in a blade/rubber combo for his game? Cook dinner?

I advised him to stick with this blade a month and see how it goes. He might be ready for heavier then, but what the heck, this blade is smack middle of his appropriate zone and he should stick with it a while.

I have no pics, just a quick first observation and thanks.

Hopefully, George will Join TTD and comment further directly.

Der_Echte,

That sounds great! I'm thrilled he likes it and that it seems to play well for him. :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Oh,

BTW, my friend has an USATT rating higher than mine, he isn't your average club going 50 yr old plus dude stand close to table with belly hanging over endline, wear headband, slap LP on BH and bump you down kinda dude. He plays with touch and defense, aggressive BH with pips, and also pick hit power when he chooses.

I hope he registers and posts here on TTD, he would be a great additional voice for the style of play he does.

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
My friend continues to play using the blade. He is making the kind of shots he does now easier with more consistency.

He mentioned that he would like to have Nate build two more blades similar, but with different thickness of core and some thickness of veneer thicker.

He will text me the specs and I will let Nate know in terms that are clear and unmistakeable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
My friend continues to play using the blade. He is making the kind of shots he does now easier with more consistency.

He mentioned that he would like to have Nate build two more blades similar, but with different thickness of core and some thickness of veneer thicker.

He will text me the specs and I will let Nate know in terms that are clear and unmistakeable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Der_Echte,

I'm glad he's still liking the blade! Just keep me updated about his specifications and if he wants to try different veneer woods (I have: Koto, Limba, African Mahogany, Larch, and Spruce).

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I have to receive his text with exact details to be totally sure, but...

Per our conversation, he is looking for both blades to be same properties (dual speed) and dimensions on blade face, overall possibly a little heavier, on one blade - thicker core with same thickness of other plies. On the other blade he is looking for same core thickness and thicker veneers. Overall, I think he wants the total thickness to come out to be around 6.3 mm give or take +\- a .2-.3mm.

He might be open to different wood combinations.

He is pretty easy to please as far as blades go, he likes just about every blade he buys. Problem is, not all of them make it easier to play the 5 shots he does most the most control of placement or consistency. He doesn't stay with one blade very long.

The first blade you made for him could work just fine for him. My friend obviously had a noticeable increase in success of placement and consistency until he got too much under pressure in a match.

I am confident the next two blades you build for him will be very appropriate for what he does the most.

Maybe one day we can get him on the forum to directly relay his experiences with TTD.

One indicator of leadership is how well someone follows or listens to what you say (and do it). Well, the indicators of my personal leadership measured by how many or percentage of people I convince to discuss TT on TTD is obviously pretty low, and so goes it with that leadership metric. Maybe if I STFO a little more results could be better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I just read this thread and it is one of the most interesting threads on the forum. The technicalities of the blade construction, the specs and the requirements of the player make for amazing reading. Any updates. Did George ever order the two new blades? How long did he stick with the combination blade? And Nate, you make beautiful blades.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I just read this thread and it is one of the most interesting threads on the forum. The technicalities of the blade construction, the specs and the requirements of the player make for amazing reading. Any updates. Did George ever order the two new blades? How long did he stick with the combination blade? And Nate, you make beautiful blades.

George got them both, liked them and used them 2x as long as he normally uses a blade... which is about a week or two. He still has the one with the fattest handle that ttd member erm and Der_Echte nearly confiscated before giving to George.