World Table Tennis Championships 2023

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
https://video.tv-tokyo.co.jp/takkyu-juku/episode/00098406.html

you need a VPN to watch this (location: Japan)
the link is valid only 1 week till May 28th

Jun MIZUTANI v JPG TTTC

a hotter atmosphere than at the WTTC !

enjoy !

@Dan

View attachment 25339
The atmosphere in Pro B in France is just insane, do you guys remember how Ma Long was thanking the french crowd at the Paris WTTC in 2013 when he defeated Timo in the quarter final ?

It's cool to put the WTTC in an "exotic" country, but if they have no TT culture, no experience in organization, it's worse for both the fans and the players !

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Afanador played really well. It is interesting how having kids help you focus once the sleepless nights are over.

Brian Afanador plays in french Pro B in the Lebrun Bros. club Montpellier, he's played quite well this season, he'll play the play off final to get to the french elite pro A after the WTTC with the Lebrun Bros.

Just imagine that team in 2 years in ETTU Champions League... :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The Problem with WTT and China ruling WTT, and I'll say it there LOUD AND CLEAR: it's politics !

China gave WTT major tournaments organization to India and South Africa who are for instance part of the BRICS, the strategic alliance between Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa. Why do you think South Africa major big pharma company threatened the EU to burn some vital medicines ? why do you think South Africa has been neutral about the Ukraine invasion ? as India and Brazil too !

If the organization had been given to Brazil or India, it would have been way better ! both countries have awesome fans, TT culture and are building their TT history, and they know how to setup major events ! South Africa does not exist in the world's TT circus, nada ! Just look out how their numerous "wild card players" did in the first round of each draw, it's a joke !!! They are barely at the regional/local level here in Europe !!!

As my man Didier Drogba says

They know how to organize a rugby competition, a football competition, but they're the least country you would give any other sport organization !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
The Problem with WTT and China ruling WTT, and I'll say it there LOUD AND CLEAR: it's politics !

China gave WTT major tournaments organization to India and South Africa who are for instance part of the BRICS, the strategic alliance between Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa. Why do you think South Africa major big pharma company threatened the EU to burn some vital medicines ? why do you think South Africa has been neutral about the Ukraine invasion ? as India and Brazil too !

If the organization had been given to Brazil or India, it would have been way better ! both countries have awesome fans, TT culture and are building their TT history, and they know how to setup major events ! South Africa does not exist in the world's TT circus, nada ! Just look out how their numerous "wild card players" did in the first round of each draw, it's a joke !!! They are barely at the regional/local level here in Europe !!!

As my man Didier Drogba says

They know how to organize a rugby competition, a football competition, but they're the least country you would give any other sport organization !

Yeah I'm torn on this. I'm happy that the WTTC is in Africa. And I'm happy that Tony and his kids got to go to this one. But I have to agree that WTTC should be in countries that are better for building TT as a sport. I saw some of the South African wild card players and it was truly embarassing. There are so many exciting young players from countries where TT is established and popular that deserve to be more and would've performed several levels better

I've been watching WTT events for less than a year, but in that time, I've noticed that they're being held in places where people don't seem to care about the sport (except for Chinese fans that are able to travel there). I watch T-League and Bundesliga games and the atmosphere there is electric and exciting. The WTT atmosphere with a bunch of suits sitting nearby looking at their phones is completely anodyne and boring.

Why aren't there more WTT events in Japan, Germany, France, Sweden? Looking at the prior and upcoming schedule recently, it's hard to argue that BRICS has nothing to do with it. They're not bold enough to be holding events in Russia, but damn it feels like they really would if they didn't believe it'd cost them money/prestige.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Some other matches to check out.

Gauzy vs Eduard Ionescu (Day 2, Table 1, Session 2) - This U19 Ionescu kid is hyper aggressive and powerful player. Something Gauzy couldn't handle so he had to reach into his bag of tricks and play off speed and more deceptive shots.

Dang Qiu vs Vitor Ishiy (Day 2, Table 1, Session 2) - Ishiy is staying competitive with Qiu while at the same time making several amazing highlight plays each game. There have been more wow moments in this match than any other match I've seen so far this event.

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Very disappointing. Hugo remains promise unfulfilled at the big events. Hoping his day comes.

Well, he is about to loose 875 ranking points tomorrow, the next 2 highest points only adds up to 205, so he will drop by a good 670 points and making him still top 10 in number 7.

The 10 points won for 2 years at WTTC 2023 is pretty much useless to him.

Since Hugo had a good run of wins for Contenders, he has 3 x 400 points there, He basically needed a QF 350 points for 2 years to make WTTC worth it while. Now he needs to work harder to get more Contenders wins, else end of the year, he will drop by over 1000 points and put him closer to outside top 10

• Wow
Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeah I'm torn on this. I'm happy that the WTTC is in Africa. And I'm happy that Tony and his kids got to go to this one. But I have to agree that WTTC should be in countries that are better for building TT as a sport. I saw some of the South African wild card players and it was truly embarassing. There are so many exciting young players from countries where TT is established and popular that deserve to be more and would've performed several levels better

I've been watching WTT events for less than a year, but in that time, I've noticed that they're being held in places where people don't seem to care about the sport (except for Chinese fans that are able to travel there). I watch T-League and Bundesliga games and the atmosphere there is electric and exciting. The WTT atmosphere with a bunch of suits sitting nearby looking at their phones is completely anodyne and boring.

Why aren't there more WTT events in Japan, Germany, France, Sweden? Looking at the prior and upcoming schedule recently, it's hard to argue that BRICS has nothing to do with it. They're not bold enough to be holding events in Russia, but damn it feels like they really would if they didn't believe it'd cost them money/prestige.
Well, SA is Table Tennis tier 2 or 3 country. So it is interesting how they won the bid against Germany.
But then again, the new WTT has killed a lot of hosting countries.
Country will loose money hosting WTT events. The money goes to WTT, the players get so little....

How SA won 90 votes, against Germany 39, I don't know.

But old ITTF had basically Germany, Dubai, Japan, China, as "major opens" and how many times has Germany and China hosted world champs, world team champs, world cups in recent years?
Its always the big 4 involved here or there.
The new WTT, is around China and that is it. Singapore, China, has all the biggest ones. Maybe they are rich enough to loose money from hosting?

USA came on with Houston, I thought that was good.

They wanted to get Africa, but it all came down with who bids for them. it was Melbourne, Durban and Düsseldorf.
Why Tunisha, Egypt, Nigeria didn't come on board? They have decades of junior and senior opens experience. SA has 2 inside the past 2 decades.

Durban has hardly any TT population and support locally has been a joke pre-tournament with hardly any volunteers at the hotel for example to handle basic info realating to Q&A. Even though I am not involved with the LOC, I apologies to the visiting team officials for the "joke" of experience encountered.
Cape Town would of been more ideal as the WJTTC in 2016 went through way more smoothly, at least per-tournament is concerned.

But to answer your question on why countries are not bidding? That beats me.

This to me is a big problem in international table tennis today.
If you look at some of the junior WTT contenders, some countries club fixture might even look more professional.
So there is a big gap in these WTT events. The ones in Chinese territories are world class and money is coming in from selling those 10s of Thousands Dollar VIP tickets to your suit guys. Meanwhile, the winner, after tax, can't even buy a VIP ticket with his winning prize money.

Btw. Busan, Korea is now hosting 2 world championships inside 4 years, on paper. With the 2020 cancelled as we know.
The other bids was from Argentina, India, Portugal and Sweden, with Buenos Aires the only final bid during Houston 2021 AGM. So what happened to India, Portugal and Sweden?
Soon, it will only be a handful of countries hosting TT events

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
You look at the executives and you know what happened: nomination comitte is directed by a qatarian, so he's sold to China after the putsch agaisnt Weikert.
Deputy chair is England, South Africa and India being members of the Commonwealth, they don't care, he'll vote for either country China tells him to vote between these two.
Cyprus repersentative ... Cyprus is not an EU member, they're torn between Greece and Turkey nationalisms... we all know what's the problem with Turkey: Erdogan that is pro BRICS. So Cyprus is a pupett that will vote for anything China dictates.
Tunisia is sold to China with many contracts between them, that's why Tunisia had so many organizations to setup in the last year with WTT
Ivory Coast is also sold to China because hey... it's so good to kick some french butts after decolonization, China has manipulated Laurent Gbagbo to get many contracts there.
The only independant country here between G20 and BRICS is Chile
And... how surprising: China

https://directory.ittf.com/#/appointed_officials see the first block "members of the nominations commitee"

I know a thing or 2 about foreign diplomacy and those "nasty games" played by China, Russia, and also the US: my brother has actually been the Head Of Chancery detached to Port Gentil in Gaboon, the number 2 after the french ambassador there. I know all that happens in Africa between France, Russia, the UK, the US and China.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Now there are WAY MORE than 4 countries that could have hosted that singles and doubles event, Germany and France excepted:
- Denmark
- Sweden
- Poland (they've done it for volley ball recently)
- Belgium/The Netherlands/Luxemburg as a whole, awesome fans there
- Italy
- Spain
- Brazil
- Japan
- South Korea
- Australia
- India
- Argentina
- And why not Nigeria or Egypt ? the leading forces in African TT ?

THIS SUCKS. PERIOD.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Well, SA is Table Tennis tier 2 or 3 country. So it is interesting how they won the bid against Germany.
But then again, the new WTT has killed a lot of hosting countries.
Country will loose money hosting WTT events. The money goes to WTT, the players get so little....

How SA won 90 votes, against Germany 39, I don't know.

But old ITTF had basically Germany, Dubai, Japan, China, as "major opens" and how many times has Germany and China hosted world champs, world team champs, world cups in recent years?
Its always the big 4 involved here or there.
The new WTT, is around China and that is it. Singapore, China, has all the biggest ones. Maybe they are rich enough to loose money from hosting?

USA came on with Houston, I thought that was good.

They wanted to get Africa, but it all came down with who bids for them. it was Melbourne, Durban and Düsseldorf.
Why Tunisha, Egypt, Nigeria didn't come on board? They have decades of junior and senior opens experience. SA has 2 inside the past 2 decades.

Durban has hardly any TT population and support locally has been a joke pre-tournament with hardly any volunteers at the hotel for example to handle basic info realating to Q&A. Even though I am not involved with the LOC, I apologies to the visiting team officials for the "joke" of experience encountered.
Cape Town would of been more ideal as the WJTTC in 2016 went through way more smoothly, at least per-tournament is concerned.

But to answer your question on why countries are not bidding? That beats me.

This to me is a big problem in international table tennis today.
If you look at some of the junior WTT contenders, some countries club fixture might even look more professional.
So there is a big gap in these WTT events. The ones in Chinese territories are world class and money is coming in from selling those 10s of Thousands Dollar VIP tickets to your suit guys. Meanwhile, the winner, after tax, can't even buy a VIP ticket with his winning prize money.

Btw. Busan, Korea is now hosting 2 world championships inside 4 years, on paper. With the 2020 cancelled as we know.
The other bids was from Argentina, India, Portugal and Sweden, with Buenos Aires the only final bid during Houston 2021 AGM. So what happened to India, Portugal and Sweden?
Soon, it will only be a handful of countries hosting TT events
Thanks for providing your thoughts. The fact that you have a lot of knowledge about the industry and yet the WTT hosting decisions are unfathomable even to you is a huge cause for concern.

The voting between Durban and Dusseldorf seems shocking to me. I've seen a few Bundesliga matches in Dusseldorf and that city has some of the most passionate table tennis fans in the world. Why aren't the WTT rewarding their largest fanbases and choosing a venue which guarantees a large audience and great atmosphere?

International sports always appear to be easily corruptible by politics and hosting decisions sold to the highest bidder (FIFA, Olympics, etc.). I guess it'd be naive to think that it doesn't happen in a sport like TT as well. Still, this isn't a sport that can support many players financially like soccer/football and athletes aren't heavily subsidized/sponsored like Olympic hopefuls. These hosting decisions with many of the big tournaments in the Asia region also heavily favor Asian countries, as Europeans and Americas athletes is a burden financially and physically in terms of travel time/jet lag.

I guess I shouldn't complaining too much if WTT is putting out free streams of world class level action on an regular basis as a viewer. But it's a bit disappointing watching events from the past with big crowds and great atmosphere in TT hub cities and realizing that WTT isn't going to bring us those sort of events any time soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks for providing your thoughts. The fact that you have a lot of knowledge about the industry and yet the WTT hosting decisions are unfathomable even to you is a huge cause for concern.

The voting between Durban and Dusseldorf seems shocking to me. I've seen a few Bundesliga matches in Dusseldorf and that city has some of the most passionate table tennis fans in the world. Why aren't the WTT rewarding their largest fanbases and choosing a venue which guarantees a large audience and great atmosphere?

International sports always appear to be easily corruptible by politics and hosting decisions sold to the highest bidder (FIFA, Olympics, etc.). I guess it'd be naive to think that it doesn't happen in a sport like TT as well. Still, this isn't a sport that can support many players financially like soccer/football and athletes aren't heavily subsidized/sponsored like Olympic hopefuls. These hosting decisions with many of the big tournaments in the Asia region also heavily favor Asian countries, as Europeans and Americas athletes is a burden financially and physically in terms of travel time/jet lag.

I guess I shouldn't complaining too much if WTT is putting out free streams of world class level action on an regular basis as a viewer. But it's a bit disappointing watching events from the past with big crowds and great atmosphere in TT hub cities and realizing that WTT isn't going to bring us those sort of events any time soon.

I do feel, Germany and China should not host anything in the next 10 years.
We do need new countries that haven't hosted in the past x years. Maybe this should be some new rule.
See how many times Germany and China has hosted?

For 2023, the issue is, they wanted to get someone else and both Australia and South Africa would be a first timer.
Australia to me is way more better, as they have hosted ITTF world tour and WTT events for the past few years.
As I mentioned, SA had 2 in the past 20, and with 2016 being the most recent and the other being maybe before 2010, which was a junior circuit.

Japan has refused WTT for quite some time. There are actually a lot of unhappiness with WTT, and many countries do feel WTT is a for profit operation and not for table tennis. I guess, what is the difference, since TMS wasn't any better. But WTT with its 15 year contract has been challenged and just ignored by many, so we need to live with it.

I do not think SA bought the bids, since SA TT has so little money to spend, with so little membership too. So it could really just be, giving Africa a chance. This, if true, is a good initiative. I would still go for experience first, with the other 3 hosting numerous internationals before, but Egypt, Nigeria and Tunisa did not bid and what could you do about that? Or in SA, to go to Cape Town, the strongest base by far in SA. But then there is internal politics as Cape Town hosted the 2016 WJTTC, so its some one else turn.
Johannesburg or Pretoria would still be better, but it is inland and not much tourist attraction. The only thing good about Durban is its blue flag beaches, but with (now) contaminated waters - so you can't even go into the sea...

I think it is safe to say, outside of China and Germany, it is impossible to have a full stadium.
Chances of it fulling up else where in Europe is obviously higher, due to travel distance and affordability.
But take the 2024 bid for example, Sweden and Portugal did not go through with the bid....why? need to ask them that question.

Argentina? its a joke, Taiwan couldn't' even get visa to go there to the junior contender right now and looking at the entries, Argentina juniors contender only have south american entries.
Apparently, they needed some sponsor for a sporting visa, as going into Argentina for "sports", one can't use visitor/tourist visa.

For 2025, Doha beat a Spanish city - Alicante, 57 to 39 (227 members was there to vote)
Doha however, does have a good history of hosting major events during the eras of Pro Tour, World Tour and now WTT. Spain however haven't done anything major in a long time.
Note, USA, Turkey, Italy and UAE did withdraw from the final bid process, so it was only Qatar vs Germany, vs Spain at the AGM

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Let me add, even fully crowds in China today is a problem.
I think Germany has been "true crowds" over the years, while China had the army (or other gov staff) coming in to full up numerous times.
This time in South Africa, if it wasn't for "complimentary tickets", you can scratch out majority of the few in the stands, and they tried to get many out this past weekend to support South Africa.

But, then, thanks to WTT, there is 5 playing halls. well, 2 actually, but table 1 is by itself, 2 and 3 by itself and 4 by itself, cut off with "walls".
Then table 5~8 is at another hall.

The old days, you have table 1 and 2 as the centre courts, with 4 more tables on the left and 4 more on the right, in 1 Hall.

So that was 1 ticket, 1 spot where you can see all 10 tables.
Now there is 5 halls, and each hall has its own ticket. With the 3 sessions in the day (ticket is sold per session), it will be costly to have 3 x 5 tickets for you to move around and watch every where.

From audience perspective, it is easier to full up 1 hall than try and make it 5 halls, for 8 tables.
I'm no professor, but I cannot understand the logic behind that and I don't think the smartest person ever can answer that too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Now there are WAY MORE than 4 countries that could have hosted that singles and doubles event, Germany and France excepted:
- Denmark
- Sweden
- Poland (they've done it for volley ball recently)
- Belgium/The Netherlands/Luxemburg as a whole, awesome fans there
- Italy
- Spain
- Brazil
- Japan
- South Korea
- Australia
- India
- Argentina
- And why not Nigeria or Egypt ? the leading forces in African TT ?

THIS SUCKS. PERIOD.

Australia (and Germany) lost to South Africa for 2023
Argentina lost to South Korea for 2024
Spain lost to Qatar for 2025

Sweden, Italy, India did submit interest to bid, but pulled out before it reached the Final bid process.

The others? yeah, they could have hosted, but you can't host if you don't bid (or stay in the bid)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Dima and Patrick are not that invincible, at all ! they had to struggle sometimes yesterday facing a french pro B only iranian pair, Amir Hoadei/Amin Ahmadian
HK team lost 2-3 :/
They were leading 2-1 but then suffered defeat.
Hoping now that Wong CT and Doo HK will do better in mixed doubles.

• Sad
Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
Bit of a late post, but I was there on Day 1. Also going back for the final 2 days.

Was amazing to finally get to see players I have watched on screens for years and read about for decades.

1684760969633.png

1684761015994.png

img_20230520_132246-jpg.25344

1684760296396-png.25345

I would post some videos but they are all too large.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Bit of a late post, but I was there on Day 1. Also going back for the final 2 days.

Was amazing to finally get to see players I have watched on screens for years and read about for decades.

1684760296396-png.25345

I would post some videos but they are all too large.
open a youtube account and upload your videos there and share the link.
Glad you also shared photos to show the lighting is actually, very bright.
I did hear from players on complaints of breeze and lighting being turned off in the stands, during match play (so bright background became black)

The breeze complaint was from table 1... and your photo has show that the garage door there is opened...