Why do people say LP's should be banned?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What angers me is that at local league level LP players can win matches by just blocking every ball. A skilled attacker has got to forget about spinny serves, aggressive topspins or clever flicks and learn to play a boring and tedious series of pushes.
Not quite true. As long as your opponent isn't using frictionless pips (and even if so, though the skill level required in that case is a bit higher), you can reloop the ball repeatedly as long as you know how to open your paddle and loop.

Reactions: vvk1 and matzreenzi
This user has no status.
I find playing long pips pretty easy unless the player completely outclasses me. However I would still ban them from play. Table tennis is already viewed as a sideshow by the general public and seeing long pips in action is just going to turn off most spectators. It makes table tennis look less like a sport and more like a joke. I think we also lose a lot of potential players who are having fun playing against inverted then run into an "old man junker" and get crushed then quit wondering why they are wasting their time with such a "sport." At least locally I see a lot more people playing casually. A great way to get them to quit immediately is to confuse and frustrate them with long pips or some other weird surface.
Yep I know quite a few ppl who have quit TT due to not having fun against pips. At this point, badminton or tennis seems a lot more fun to play. Everyone votes with their wallets and time I guess. For eg I'm the only one in my group who still practises against my LP/inverted penhold partner - he barely can find anyone to play with him despite him being very high level and beating most ppl very badly.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Yep I know quite a few ppl who have quit TT due to not having fun against pips. At this point, badminton or tennis seems a lot more fun to play. Everyone votes with their wallets and time I guess. For eg I'm the only one in my group who still practises against my LP/inverted penhold partner - he barely can find anyone to play with him despite him being very high level and beating most ppl very badly.

He probably can't find people to play with because he is beating people badly.

• Haha
This user has no status.
Usually, the higher level you are, the more popular you are in TT groups I've been at because you can learn a lot from playing higher level players (which is true). But he is the exception so far. A lot of other similarly high level players also don't enjoy practising or playing against him lol...

But i stuck with it, I went from losing 11-3, 11-4 consistently 2 yrs ago to now being almost equal with him depending on how good I play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
If there's a gulf in standard totally agree. It's like getting in the sparring ring with a pro boxer who goes flat out. Being very high level like top 5 in the country or ex 150 in the world. No one is going to want to play against that level unrestricted. Everyone in the hall is going down without putting up any fight at a local club

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
lower level players will struggle against different unexpected equipment with unexpected results than they are used to with smooth rubber. There's little point of reference for them unfortunately. Like trying to understand a foreign language they've never heard.

.More experienced players will work the ball better hopefully if theres not a large level difference

This user has no status.
Sometimes you need to balance sports around fun instead of variety.

For eg badminton used to have various spin serves which really gave the receiver a huge problem as the shuttlecock would be tumbling in an almost random manner making it very difficult to place shots properly.

Is it fair? Of course it's fair, both sides could train the serve, then you'll see all sorts of measures and countermeasures against the spin serve.

Would it be more interesting? Perhaps if you can appreciate the skill of a person being able to correctly identify the spin of the shuttlecock and time the receive properly.

Is it unfun to play against? Yes it's unfun to play against because it's antithetical to the spirit of badminton.

So, the badminton federation chose to ban the serve technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I find players either use long pips to extend their club and local league playing careers or because they enjoy winning by seeing other players getting annoyed.
That's why Long Pips rubbers are called things like Frustration, Upsetting and Annoying.
What angers me is that at local league level LP players can win matches by just blocking every ball. A skilled attacker has got to forget about spinny serves, aggressive topspins or clever flicks and learn to play a boring and tedious series of pushes.
I use spinny serves sometimes. After all, you can only serve so many dead, no spin balls to LP players before they become more aggressive with you. Best serves are no spin, and with heavy back spins. With heavy back spins, the LP player can still push the ball into the net (for an easy point) or push the ball to you with top spin back (then in that case, just close your racket and loop). Flicks are also possible against LP players but you just have to brush a bit more upward.

Quite honestly, after they ban frictionless LP's, most LP's ball come back as simply no spin. It is easier now to handle those. I don't see as much spin reversal with the current generation of LP's unless the players intentionally cook them in the microwave...lol!!! :) :)

I don’t see the big deal. It takes one set to get used to and if you still use You’re just not good enough, go home and practice. It’s frustrating yes, but that’s part of the game.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I don’t see the big deal. It takes one set to get used to and if you still use You’re just not good enough, go home and practice. It’s frustrating yes, but that’s part of the game.

Cheers
L-zr
Imagine if you were coaching world #1 Sun Yinsha. She wouldn't have lost to world rank 150 Indian players. So easy

Imagine if you were coaching world #1 Sun Yinsha. She wouldn't have lost to world rank 150 Indian players. So easy
My friend, upsets happen all the time…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
I find players either use long pips to extend their club and local league playing careers or because they enjoy winning by seeing other players getting annoyed.
That's why Long Pips rubbers are called things like Frustration, Upsetting and Annoying.
As a matter of fact, series of pushes are the surest way to lose to LP players. That sentence in bold is probably the most concentrated collection of misconceptions about playing against LPs.

Like I wrote above, some people just don't want to learn how LPs work and how to play against them.

It happens more often with LP. Thats why I called it asymmetric capabilities.

I havent even researched the stats, but Id be willing to bet on this.
Bull Crap...
Its unusual that's all

Cheers
L-zr