Search results

  1. SDC Handmade Blades

    There aren't many inner fiber blades with Kiri core out in the market and I really don't know why... They can be very good blades! Composition: Hinoki / Ayous / Super A-C / Kiri / Super A-C / Ayous / Hinoki Weight: 82g Thickness: 5.95mmFreq.: 1485 Hz Balance: 1.8cm (very low)
  2. SDC Handmade Blades

    Speed is greatly influenced by stiffness, and the stiffness acts as an whole, so in most blades it will be the same for both sides no matter what the composition is. However, you can still change the hardness and other variables a bit, and that is where the speed difference lies. There was a...
  3. SDC Handmade Blades

    Thanks Basmundo. Well, the player uses inverted on the Fh and long pips on the Bh and has been playing with a Stiga Allround Evolution. He plays a pushblocking game but likes to attack with the Fh and he was looking for something as slow, or even slower than his AE on the Bh, but faster on the...
  4. SDC Handmade Blades

    Thank you for the compliment and encouraging words! Sure, I would love to hear it, I always welcome new challenges.
  5. SDC Handmade Blades

    Thanks :)
  6. SDC Handmade Blades

    This blade is definitively in the top 5 of the most complex requests I have gotten so far. Combi blades are hard, that's a given, but this time the owner presented a full professional project for the blade and handle design! I had to scratch my head a few times to make this one happen, but in...
  7. Just a curiosity in the wood of a blade

    Nice that you mentioned that because I was totally forgetting about Cedars. Yes, they are a good option and the next best thing along with cypress. It's all about finding good boards for that, but I still think that Hinoki has a softness that's unique. I have some Western Red Cedar boards with a...
  8. Just a curiosity in the wood of a blade

    As I've said, one ply blades behave differently. There are a lot more variables to build a good, or at least playable, one ply. Firstly you need stiffness in all directions to have sufficient stability and avoid warping. The only way to achieve this is by increasing the thickness, but this also...
  9. Just a curiosity in the wood of a blade

    I'm not gonna get into the whole one ply blade thing because they behave a little differently, but I just want to clear up a misconception. A 7 ply blade is not stiffer than a equivalent 5 ply of the same thickness. The only reason commercial 7 plies tend to be stiffer is because they also tend...
  10. SDC Handmade Blades

    No, I use PVA to join the boards. I never done with that many pieces, normally I use 2, maximum 3 when I have to get around a knot or something, but I've seen some old Butterfly blades with that many pieces. It won't make that much difference, the glue joint only adds stiffness (if any) in the...
  11. SDC Handmade Blades

    Interesting backstory with this one. The owner wanted a blade similar to his Acoustic and after a brief discussion we settled on a thinner but harder medial ply, Sycamore Maple instead of Limba, while also opting for hide glue. After trying the blade he stated the feeling was very similar but...
  12. SDC Handmade Blades

    I actually had to make a couple of blades before coming up with one that seemed reasonable. I have no idea if glass-fiber was commonly used, but from what I could gather the production version of this blade didn't had it, so they must've only used it in the prototype.
  13. SDC Handmade Blades

    Thanks to you both!
  14. SDC Handmade Blades

    Apparently there's nothing really special about these blades, but this was one of the most difficult challenges I had so far, but also one of the most fulfilling given the successful outcome. This is what the customer wrote about his experience: "I've been using a custom Kevlar blade that was...
  15. SDC Handmade Blades

    I've made this one some time ago so I had time to test it. My experience with asymmetric blades is that the difference in composition between sides must be really high, in order to get just a bit of difference in performance. The difference between sides in this blades is perceivable, but not...
  16. SDC Handmade Blades

    Another one of my experiments, trying to achieve that holy grail blade, the love child of W968 and Viscaria. Inner/outer combination blade that emphasizes a soft FH and a direct BH. Composition: Limba / Ayous / I-C / Kiri / Ayous / A-C / Anigre Weight: 92.2g Thickness: 6.0mm Freq.: 1335Hz...
  17. SDC Handmade Blades

    I have mixed feelings about Padauk, it releases a very fine red dust that gets everywhere, but sure is pretty to look at :cool: Composition: Limba / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Limba Weight: 92.3g Thickness: 5.7mm Freq.: 1250 Hz Balance: 2.7cm (Low)
  18. SDC Handmade Blades

    Unfortunately I don't have Hinoki thick enough to make 1 ply blades but I have a really nice Cypress for 3 ply blades. So I made this one with Kiso Hinoki outer and Cypress core. Nice soft feeling with good control, high throw blade, speed is probably in the All+/Off- range. Composition: Kiso...
  19. SDC Handmade Blades

    Made this one a while ago just because I wanted to make a 7ply with a kiri core and also test a 7 ply composition with a big core and thinner outer layer. Feels a bit more elastic than the typical 7ply blade with thick medial layers and not so hard. Speed is probably in the upper Off- range...
  20. Anyone know this guy - Juan Manuel (Lima, Peru)

    It's not the worst looking one :)
Top