Search results

  1. SDC Handmade Blades

    A fine example of how a good balance can make a heavy blade feel lighter than what really is. Owner was very aware of the importance of a good balance so he intentionally asked for a heavy handle, despite the increase in the total weight. The result is a 100g plus blade that feels much lighter...
  2. SDC Handmade Blades

    Done!
  3. SDC Handmade Blades

    A little experiment I did using two bouncy woods, Hinoki and Fineline. Don't let the relatively low frequency fool you, this thing is soft but fast! Composition: Hinoki / Fineline / I-C / Ayous / I-C / Fineline / Hinoki Weight: 95.8g Thickness: ~6.0mm Freq.: 1290 Hz Balance: 2.9cm (Low)
  4. Are ZLC blades even popular?

    Great info there Carl, just a few notes: It has been shown that Zylon degraded quickly when exposed to light, heat and moisture. The difference is that in bullet proof vests the zylon sheets are just stitched in multiple layers to make a ballistic panel. In a TT blade the fibers need a resin to...
  5. SDC Handmade Blades

    Commissioned inner style blade. Simple but effective. Composition: Limba / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / A-C / Ayous / Limba Weight: 90.3g Thickness: ~5.75mm Freq.: 1320 Hz Balance: 2.8 cm (low)
  6. SDC Handmade Blades

    Some of mankind's greatest inventions were born of mistakes!
  7. SDC Handmade Blades

    Sometimes mistakes happen, it's inevitable, it's what you do to fix those mistakes that matters. This was supposed to be a blade for a customer, but I accidentally glued the plies the wrong way, so the medial ply was facing out on one of the sides. I had to start another blade for the customer...
  8. Violin Alternatives?

    It was not meant as a sales pitch, just trying to demystify some aspects of custom blades. Of course if you choose to go that route I will be glad to help.
  9. Violin Alternatives?

    I don't like promoting my work on another threads but this just spreads a message that custom blades are luxurious products only affordable to big wallets, which is not true. I could, or any other blade maker for that matter, build a blade with the same composition for about a third of the price...
  10. SDC Handmade Blades

    Thanks Bob, this is also one of my favorites.
  11. SDC Handmade Blades

    Thanks. The handle is Spanish Walnut with Padauk stripes. Zylon is one of the most resilient fibers out there. It's harder, stiffer and bouncier than IC.
  12. SDC Handmade Blades

    A commissioned blade with inner zylon-carbon composition and some extra work on the wings to make them wider. Composition: Limba / Ayous / Zylon-Carbon / Ayous / Zylon-Carbon /Ayous / Limba Weight: 85.5g Thickness: ~5.75mm Freq.: 1380 Hz Balance: 3.1cm (Med)
  13. SDC Handmade Blades

    I will PM you with prices.
  14. SDC Handmade Blades

    I would suppose so, but the big logo on both sides was requested by the owner. He says it's no problem on the one sided one, but he didn't test this one yet, although he says it feels fine in shadow strokes. Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk
  15. SDC Handmade Blades

    This was the second blade commissioned, a variation on my Innegra outer composition with Ash as the top ply. The pattern on the handle is actually a painting made by his father, so it's a really nice hommage. Composition: Ash / Innegra-Carbon / Limba / Kiri / Limba / Innegra-Carbon / Ash...
  16. SDC Handmade Blades

    Thanks for the tip! But this is not epoxy, it's acrylic :)
  17. SDC Handmade Blades

    This one of two blades commissioned by a forum member. I haven't made a penhold blade in a while so it was nice to build this one, especially with such a unique design. Composition: Koto / Ako / Aramid-Carbon / Ayous / Aramid-Carbon / Ako / Koto Weight: 93.3g Thickness: ~5.5mm Freq.: 1270 Hz
  18. SDC Handmade Blades

    Glue fight: Hide vs. PU There is a lot of talk about hide glue and the great feeling it provides. I’m always skeptical of this kind of claims so I decided to test this myself by building two exact blades, with the only variable being the glue used. First I will give a brief description of these...
  19. DHS Hurricane G / Ji - koto or ayous?

    Seems like ayous to me.
  20. SDC Handmade Blades

    Framiré, also called Idigbo or Black Afara is from the same family as Limba, also called Afara or Korina. Framiré is slightly harder and lighter.
Top