ITTF Reaction to Timo Bolls critics of tuned rackets

This user has no status.
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/t...chaerferen-schlaegerkontrollen-a-1079251.html

ITTF gave the statement: We will speak about the problem, but we will not do anything about it in the next future because China was not happy about this.

Quick Translation of article thanks to TTD member @MaLongPower

Timo Boll had criticized the widespread racket doping in table tennis and demanded for strict controls. Now the World Table Tennis Association will discuss the issue - but nothing more for the time being.

timobollinterview2016.jpg

Read Timo Boll's original article here.

Hopes of table tennis star Timo Boll on strict controls of rubbers can not be fulfilled so quickly. The ITTF will indeed discuss the issue while the World Team Championships in Kuala Lumpur . "But there will be no rushed actions", ITTF President Thomas Weikert said before the start of the tournament on Sunday.
Record European Champion Boll had declared in a newspaper interview that 80 percent of the players modify their rubbers illegally with chemicals to significantly enhanced the catapult effect. Thus, the ball is faster and has more pressure. There are racket tests, but the current measurement methods are not sufficient to determine the so-called tuning.
"There was no response from the players, but from the other party," Boll said. The Regensburger chemistry professor Hubert Motschmann has dealt with the problem. The scientist has developed a control method that can measure the amplified catapult effect.
The World Association knows is the new measuring method , but it still needs to be tested. Weikert pointed out that the ITTF also dealt with tuning and that the public foray Boll caused was mainly criticised by the table tennis superpower China : "The Chinese are upset."

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Qick Translation:

Timo Boll had criticized the widespread racket doping in table tennis and demanded for strict controls.
Now the World Table Tennis Association will discuss the issue - but nothing more for the time being.

Hopes of table tennis star Timo Boll on strict controls of rubbers can not be fulfilled so quickly. The ITTF will indeed discuss the issue while the World Team Championships in Kuala Lumpur . "But there will be no rushed actions", ITTF President Thomas Weikert said before the start of the tournament on Sunday.
Record European Champion Boll had declared in a newspaper interview that 80 percent of the players modify their rubbers illegally with chemicals to significantly enhanced the catapult effect. Thus, the ball is faster and has more pressure. There are racket tests, but the current measurement methods are not sufficient to determine the so-called tuning.
"There was no response from the players, but from the other party," Boll said. The Regensburger chemistry professor Hubert Motschmann has dealt with the problem. The scientist has developed a control method that can measure the amplified catapult effect.
The World Association knows is the new measuring method , but it still needs to be tested. Weikert pointed out that the ITTF also dealt with tuning and that the public foray Boll caused was mainly criticised by the table tennis superpower China : "The Chinese are upset."

This user has no status.
I think while they are at it they should ban carbon/composite blades as well, because hello! unfair advantage!

But that isn't enough. To makes these rules make more sense, they must bey even more arbitrary and random, such as no drying hands on the table and no towels to wipe your hands,face or paddles. Also, players can't tie their shoe laces too tight, so they need to dedicate man power, time, money and additional resources to develop the proper scientific equipment necessary to measure lace tension and shoe deformation and stretching.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
When Shararah (indian/canadian) was president for so many years there was no measures taken. Thomas weikert (german) gets the presidency for a 1.5 years and boll openly speaks out about the issue. Those who remember boll's past interviews he never called out the chinese specifically about boosting.

So I believe maybe we have something finally going on here even if it is germany vs china maaaaybe this fight will benefit table tennis in the long run and not country interests only.

Most of the players in their past interviews just stated that 90 % or 80 % of the top players boost and now we have marcos freitas and boll speaking openly about the chinese

Let's see what happens if anything happens of course :p

Reactions: brabhamista
This user has no status.
I think while they are at it they should ban carbon/composite blades as well, because hello! unfair advantage!

But that isn't enough. To makes these rules make more sense, they must bey even more arbitrary and random, such as no drying hands on the table and no towels to wipe your hands,face or paddles. Also, players can't tie their shoe laces too tight, so they need to dedicate man power, time, money and additional resources to develop the proper scientific equipment necessary to measure lace tension and shoe deformation and stretching.
The sarcasm in this post is unreal
Hahaha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
When Shararah (indian/canadian) was president for so many years there was no measures taken. Thomas weikert (german) gets the presidency for a 1.5 years and boll openly speaks out about the issue. Those who remember boll's past interviews he never called out the chinese specifically about boosting.

So I believe maybe we have something finally going on here even if it is germany vs china maaaaybe this fight will benefit table tennis in the long run and not country interests only.

Most of the players in their past interviews just stated that 90 % or 80 % of the top players boost and now we have marcos freitas and boll speaking openly about the chinese

Let's see what happens if anything happens of course :p

This Chinese advantage is fairly recent. Boll even wrote in his book that the Chinese players had problems adjusting to the speed glue ban and even wrote that his victory against Ma Long at the World Cup in 2008 was because Ma Long's racket was not able to catapult the ball over the net reliably. However Wang Hao boosted his racket before the finals :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Even we forbid tuned racket by players, DHS can boost rackets and sends them to players like butterfly. Butterfly put lot of boost for top players.

To my mind, boost applied by player or manufacturer is same thing.

Reactions: langel and fais
This user has no status.
I think they should drop these stupid material rules. At the end everybody would play again the same and it would benefit the sport (and market). But i think as long as there is this rule it is very unsportsmanlike to boost, because it gives material advantage over fair players.

This user has no status.
I recently had the idea to just limit the weight of the racket to 180-200 g max because that would be an easy to test masurement. This would be really effectiv in slowing down the game because the professionals are using really haevy woods and rubbers which are much more dense especially when chemically modified.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I say, at ITTF events, they should just have a stock of premade rackets, really bad ones like the ones you can get for $5.00-$10.00 in a toy store, and just issue each player one of these at the start of the match. Everyone uses these same exact cheepo racket. Everyone would suck and the sport would make great strides in popularity.

Either that or they can just allow chemical boosting and then the companies that aren't DHS should figure out how to make something that is as good as H3 when it has had the hell boosted out of it.

Is there really a logical reason to ban boosting with VOC free boosters?

This user has no status.
It is simple physics. If you put more weight one the end of a pendulum, one can apply greater force at an impact.

I think the problem is that all the pimple players would start to complain that they aren´t allowed to treat thier rubbers.
Time would reverse to long pimple rubbers without friction,that would be horrible and make me cry.

Reactions: bobpuls and BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is simple physics. If you put more weight one the end of a pendulum, one can apply greater force at an impact.

I think the problem is that all the pimple players would start to complain that they aren´t allowed to treat thier rubbers.
Time would reverse to long pimple rubbers without friction,that would be horrible and make me cry.

Here is an important video for you to watch.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
I say, at ITTF events, they should just have a stock of premade rackets, really bad ones like the ones you can get for $5.00-$10.00 in a toy store, and just issue each player one of these at the start of the match. Everyone uses these same exact cheepo racket. Everyone would suck and the sport would make great strides in popularity.

Either that or they can just allow chemical boosting and then the companies that aren't DHS should figure out how to make something that is as good as H3 when it has had the hell boosted out of it.

Is there really a logical reason to ban boosting with VOC free boosters?

Well said.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Notice that the speed isnt the problem, its the tacky rubber which produces more spin and europeans find it difficult to adapt to. Of course the national team batch of rubbers is superior than the normal H3 but I dont think that the chinese are actually "Cheating"

If you listen at the jorgen persson podcast he clearly said that the chinese didnt know about speed glue and were in a disadvantage at the time especially when tibor klampar used it and nobody knew about it and it was a common secret among the europeans and the chinese suddenly found themselves in awkward situations and got shocked about how easily europeans got to win against them.

So there is always 2 sides to the coin, all this fuss about boosting should stop cause its only being done in order to stop china a little bit but that wont make any difference. even if they are forced to play with tenergy they will still but with less percentage than now.

I think the serve and receive 3rd ball will give more points to the europeans if we assume that the chinese start using eurorubbers but still their systematic training will force them to adapt to the new situation and breakthrough once again.

Walnder and persson said that we should not copy or prevent china but play with creativity and take them out of their rhythm and I totally agree with their statement

AFter all the swedes dominated them because they changed their game and the game of TT as well with the BH topspin, fishing, push&blocking and weight training. Not because they had speed glue, besides the chinese started using speed glue also in their era

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Isn't that what "ping pong" and the "World Championship of Ping Pong" is?