ITTF Reaction to Timo Bolls critics of tuned rackets

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Isn't that what "ping pong" and the "World Championship of Ping Pong" is?

Yep. I was just joking around. But the part about boosting, I do think they should just let everyone who wants to, boost. As long as it is VOC free.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Suga D and fais
This user has no status.
Also, it is hard to believe that Butterfly, who already isn't investing arguably millions of dollars into their R&D cannot create something comparable to a boosted DHS national rubber. Hell, if guys like us can somehow procure one no matter how rare, what is to keep Butterfly from getting one and reverse engineering? After all, didn't they grace us with spring sponge technology (registered trademark) at exorbitant prices?

Heck, slap some factory tune-age on at tenergy and call it tenergy 360 and sell it at twice the price, will that shut him up? What is Timo Boll arguing when he says their rubbers are too good? His rubbers aren't good enough, or that he isn't good enough?

I understand Timo Bol is trying to be fair and level the playing field, but the fact of the matter is what he proposes is the absolute opposite - as long as sponsored players can get cutting edge custom made state of the art equipment more times in a week then the rest of us quasi-serious players can get in our lifetimes combined, how is that fair? I bet Timo Bol has gone through more T05s in his life then everyone on this forum put together. And I doubt his spirit blade is anywhere comparable to what I could buy off the shelf.

Just for that TB, I'm going to boost this post with falco and haifu oil with a smidge of kerosene before I click submit

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Also, it is hard to believe that Butterfly, who already isn't investing arguably millions of dollars into their R&D cannot create something comparable to a boosted DHS national rubber. Hell, if guys like us can somehow procure one no matter how rare, what is to keep Butterfly from getting one and reverse engineering? After all, didn't they grace us with spring sponge technology (registered trademark) at exorbitant prices?

That is a very good question, I had the same thoughts.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
If 80% is boosting trust me a will have been the 81% .if is voc free for sure i do it !!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And I doubt his spirit blade is anywhere comparable to what I could buy off the shelf.

I think Timo uses the ALC not the Spirit. But it seems he is presenting that what he uses is not different than what you can buy. I have a feeling that might be true.

As far as pros getting a supply of equipment, if what they get is worse than what only the top Chinese players can get, it poses an interesting question: why can't any of them get something as good? Why can't other companies design something that works as well?

Personally, I don't care if it is boosted. If the rubbers that the CNT members are using are better, after boosting, than Tenergy, or anything else, than why can't Butterfly and/or ESN develop something that works as well when it is boosted.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Heck, slap some factory tune-age on at tenergy and call it tenergy 360 and sell it at twice the price, will that shut him up? What is Timo Boll arguing when he says their rubbers are too good? His rubbers aren't good enough, or that he isn't good enough?

I understand Timo Bol is trying to be fair and level the playing field, but the fact of the matter is what he proposes is the absolute opposite - as long as sponsored players can get cutting edge custom made state of the art equipment more times in a week then the rest of us quasi-serious players can get in our lifetimes combined, how is that fair? I bet Timo Bol has gone through more T05s in his life then everyone on this forum put together. And I doubt his spirit blade is anywhere comparable to what I could buy off the shelf.

Just for that TB, I'm going to boost this post with falco and haifu oil with a smidge of kerosene before I click submit

That is very well said, pro's do have an unfair equipment advanatge over your average tom dick and harry. yet he complains when other pros have an equipment advantage over him. More over lets say they did ban boosting, I would not be surprised if DHS started adding oil into the production of the sponge or preboost it factory tuned :)

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
I think the reason why Butterfly can t invent something similar to the H3 is because it is really hard to do so.
Remember the history of tenergy they where testing something and by chance the T05 was really good.
Yeah they invented new technologies and there was lot of hard work and money put into it but luck was a huge component to.
To be honest butterfly had 2 great rubber inventions which are Sriver and Tenergy.

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
but silly saying about chinese, I have used H3 boosted to crap with that haifu stuff and Tibhar mxp with falco and they are both rapid. Slow the Chinese game down you will slow down TT, well you'd have to stop them doing army training and multi ball all day every dy. Does it really affect local league players; probably not. Does it bother national players, probably not as they all do it. Is Timo saying then that he doesn't use boosted Tenergy cuz it sure sounds like a boosted tenergy to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
but silly saying about chinese, I have used H3 boosted to crap with that haifu stuff and Tibhar mxp with falco and they are both rapid. Slow the Chinese game down you will slow down TT, well you'd have to stop them doing army training and multi ball all day every dy. Does it really affect local league players; probably not. Does it bother national players, probably not as they all do it. Is Timo saying then that he doesn't use boosted Tenergy cuz it sure sounds like a boosted tenergy to me.

Well, as far as i know Timo plays with extreme heavy (93grams) and selected Tennies with a very hard sponge. Hence he said his rubbers are available to public 'cause everyone can let their rubbers be selected.

Personally I tend to believe this.

I could be wrong, but his way of thinkin might be, that if everybody would be forced to play with non-boosted rubbers then Timo is King and China not...

Of course this is just my personal opinion.
To me this whole thing wasn't very wisely chosen and in his case i wouldn't expect anymore engagements for clubs from the CTTSL.

But if he felt, that what he said needed to be said, who am i to judge?
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
There are some proposed rules changes put forward by the Athletes Commission (headed by Samsonov) to counter boosting. There are also other proposals to improve/change the ball to test for friction, which I find lower with the plastic variety.

It is a long read, but worth it as this is the only way rules get changed in the sport, not someone complaining in the media:

English PDF version, but other langaguage available on the ITTF site
http://www.ittf.com/World_Events/wttc_2016/AGM_BoD/2016_ITTF_AGM_BoD_EN.pdf

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Great video! Who makes these? I've seen a few that were very interesting to say the least. I love it!

DTop Spirit is the genius behind these. Otherwise known as Greg Letts. If you follow the YouTube video to the YouTube channel you can see he has loads of good videos on the subject of TT. These cartoons, in my opinion, are especially useful because, how often can someone present such good content while making you laugh the whole way through?

Reactions: scoops
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Ski sport has no restrictions on the chemical additives and treatments. You are free to apply any ski lubricants as much as you like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
In Nascar and Formula 1 racing they also have a whole questionable substances, but i doubt anyone seriously would only want to see electro vehicles racing...

And they don´t give a shit about Olympic Games, whereas in table tennis unquestionable substances are banned because the term "racket doping" could mean consequences ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Ski sport has no restrictions on the chemical additives and treatments. You are free to apply any ski lubricants as much as you like.

Well table tennis does have regulations of equipment. You can't speed glue, use certain pips or two black rubbers. Not allowing boosters is nothing different, as long there is a rule it should be enforced.

Maybe table tennis should install a everything goes class were you can use full carbon rackets, rubbers with different pip lengths and all other stuff you can imagine.

At least it would help defense, imagine yoo se hyuk playing with two black rubbers with one being inverted and the other one consisting of pips of different length and friction:).

Well, I've alreday exposed my negative attitude to TB's statement. For me it's a complete nonsense.
But I would heartly support a proposal for a ban of all playears, who don't play with blades branded with their own names.
Then TB will have to fight with a very few opponents.
And this will be the most fair rool to the great mass of TT fans and... brand zombyed customers.

Last edited: