Back to Forum
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 139
  1. M51 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 184 373
    M51's Avatar
    M51 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 373 184
    #1

    Croatian player loses his sh#t



    Playing a chopper can indeed be frustrating as hell.

    The Following 4 Users Like M51's Post:

    Archosaurus, Baal and 2 others


  2. ttmonster is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 4,426 3,683
    T
    ttmonster is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,683 4,426
    #2
    Are you the chopper in the video ? I had a sneaking suspicion :P

  3. M51 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 184 373
    M51's Avatar
    M51 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 373 184
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ttmonster
    Are you the chopper in the video ? I had a sneaking suspicion :P
    Good heavens, no.

  4. Shiro is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 77 309
    S
    Shiro is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 309 77
    #4
    Wow, he is frustrated, but i wonder why. There games were set even as the both won 1 set. He should have played calm and maybe pushed on those heavy spin shots and looped on the shots when the chopper pushed back with little to no spin.

    The Following User Likes Shiro's Post:

    NextLevel


  5. TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,454 1,996
    TTFrenzy's Avatar
    TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,996 1,454
    #5
    I totally feel for the guy his technique is superior to the defenders quality of chops but he hesitated so much because he lost some easy balls. once a defender gets to you and u start doubting about your stroke it feels like a slow death lol. so patience patience patience :P

    The Following 6 Users Like TTFrenzy's Post:

    anchorschmidt, BeGo and 4 others

    Last edited by TTFrenzy; 02-28-2016 at 09:49 PM.
    I suck real bad so I train to suck less

  6. TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,454 1,996
    TTFrenzy's Avatar
    TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,996 1,454
    #6
    at some points he really plaed foolishly but thats normal if ur having a bad day and u feel that u deserved a point although u lost it because of a stupid mistake. you may win against a defender 3-0 4-0 but the feeling you have afterwards is like my god, he really pushed me to my limits.

    I think most people dont like pimples because they dont enjoy this constant tactical/patience style of play needed to beat them

    The Following 7 Users Like TTFrenzy's Post:

    anchorschmidt, BeGo and 5 others

    I suck real bad so I train to suck less

  7. M51 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 184 373
    M51's Avatar
    M51 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 373 184
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFrenzy
    I think most people dont like pimples because they dont enjoy this constant tactical/patience style of play needed to beat them
    This is true. Playing against long pips can be exhausting both physically and mentally.

    The Following 2 Users Like M51's Post:

    Suga D and TTFrenzy


  8. vvk1 is offline
    says I compete, therefore I am
     
    Senior TTD Member 606 797
    vvk1's Avatar
    vvk1 is offline
    says I compete, therefore I am
     
    Senior TTD Member 797 606
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TTFrenzy
    I totally feel for the guy his technique is superior to the defenders quality of chops but he hesitated so much because he lost some easy balls. once a defender gets to you and u start doubting about your stroke it feels like a slow death lol. so patience patience patience :P
    And that's where you're wrong. The defender was clearly superior to the other player in this match - precisely because the defender succeeded in making the attacker hezitate and lose his sh*t. That is the ultimate defender's objective.

    The Following 5 Users Like vvk1's Post:

    anchorschmidt, brabhamista and 3 others


  9. Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,985 1,714
    I
    Ilia Minkin is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,714 1,985
    #9
    Come on, it is not that bad. When one throws his racket into the opponent -- that is when he "loses his s**t"

    The Following 4 Users Like Ilia Minkin's Post:

    bobpuls, NextLevel and 2 others


  10. TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,454 1,996
    TTFrenzy's Avatar
    TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,996 1,454
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by vvk1
    And that's where you're wrong. The defender was clearly superior to the other player in this match - precisely because the defender succeeded in making the attacker hezitate and lose his sh*t. That is the ultimate defender's objective.
    its a matter of perspective. a calm guy with his technique would win rather easily.

    the chops are way too high

    The Following User Likes TTFrenzy's Post:

    BeGo

    I suck real bad so I train to suck less

  11. TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,454 1,996
    TTFrenzy's Avatar
    TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,996 1,454
    #11


    lol he lost the match with a net match ball. it was hilarious how much he was pissed off.
    I suck real bad so I train to suck less

  12. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,938 3,554
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,554 5,938

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,554
    5,938
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #12
    I suspect this particular chopper beats young loopers at this level quite often, he has been eating guys like that for lunch for a long time.

    The Following 7 Users Like Baal's Post:

    BeGo, Der_Echte and 5 others


  13. TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,454 1,996
    TTFrenzy's Avatar
    TTFrenzy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,996 1,454
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Baal
    I suspect this particular chopper beats young loopers at this level quite often, he has been eating guys like that for lunch for a long time.

    Yeah he really seems calm and composed, just get the ball to the table and let the other guy handle his psycho issues.

    The Following User Likes TTFrenzy's Post:

    BeGo

    I suck real bad so I train to suck less

  14. fais is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 398 519
    F
    fais is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 519 398
    #14
    Never confuse technique and consistency. He gets frustrated because he misses shots he thinks are easy.

    Well guess what buddy, in basketball we have an expression "the ball don't lie". Don't think yourself to be better than you actually are. If you lose, then obviously you aren't there yet, so go hit up practice and comeback and try again.

    I think this was one of the secrets to Waldner's success. He never had an inflated sense of self. If he missed, he missed. If he lost, he lost. And, if he won, he won. Why involve emotions into something that is so factually evident?

    In my case, I used to get worked up like this guy. I took lessons and still lost to people who didn't know how to play... until I realized, getting good at table tennis takes much, much, much, much, much longer than I think. So why get frustrated, when everything I was/am doing will make me good eventually, not just now? If it were easy, every one would be good at it, and so would I!

    The Following 8 Users Like fais's Post:

    BeGo, Ilia Minkin and 6 others


  15. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 16,114 14,620
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,620 16,114
    #15
    The chopper is pretty decent.


    Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

    The Following 3 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

    BeGo, FloKing and 1 other

    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  16. Shuki is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,556 1,661
    Shuki's Avatar
    Shuki is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,661 1,556

    User Info Menu


    Aug 2015
    United States
    1,661
    1,556
    6126
    Read 13 Reviews
    #16
    And here I thought everyone enjoyed playing choppers.

    The Following 3 Users Like Shuki's Post:

    BeGo, izra and 1 other


  17. Archosaurus is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,220 2,080
    A
    Archosaurus is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,080 1,220
    #17
    These videos are a good example of "Knowing you can do it, so you're lazy on execution" and missing easy shots.

    You just know you can return mostly everything that comes your way, and the only reason you would lose is just pure statistical inconsistency, so you assume that the ball will go over the net even if you make a half assed return.


    Unfortunately, we cannot control the ball with our mind, so 100% effort needs to be put especially into the easy put away shots.

  18. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,546 9,182
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,182 13,546

    User Info Menu

    #18
    Nah, this had nothing to do with easy putaway shots and everything to do with experience playing defenders.

    Maybe it is just these clips but the defender never attacks. That is clue one. His style is to frustrate you.

    Because of that, a smart attack must only attack hard the high percentage balls because setting up the attack is key when playing such players. There were balls that were attacked hard that the chopper had time do things to that the attacker could not read perfectly. Maybe the attacker has never studied the cognitive side of table tennis so he things high balls are easy. Anyone can miss a shot if they misread the spin or do not practice a lot. You just accept it and move on and think about why you misread it.

    Moreover, the attacker was not that frustrated. I have seen much worse.

    The chopper is also pretty good - not superfantastic, but definitely in the class of the attacker. He chopped quite a few balls low from well below the table.

    When I play defenders, the first thing I need to establish is what the defender will attack amongst my popups and safe openings. That sets the tone for the match. I will only keep up topspin if the defender attacks backspin extremely well. Otherwise, I will push a lot and pick.when to open and when to kill. I prefer to open with topspin to get a high ball and then flat hit. I don't mind pushing and I will engage in pushing rallies unless the defender attacks backspin.

    It is the people who want to be macho that struggle against defenders. They watch high level TT and think that looping vs defense is the way to play but they are just copying and don't get the logic of playing defenders. It is to only attack if pressured or if you can read the ball. Or use a safety spin. Kill.is only when you know you have set up the defender.

    The Following 6 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    BeGo, DoctorPaco and 4 others


  19. Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 11,169 10,961
    Der_Echte's Avatar
    Der_Echte is offline
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad
     
    Master TTD Member 10,961 11,169

    User Info Menu

    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Dude Who Knows how to play vs a Defender
    It is the people who want to be macho that struggle against defenders... It is to only attack if you can read the ball.
    Well said. Some defenders can defeat hotshot loopers, and if you look at the games the higher rated attacking players lost, you see sum trends... NL hit upon several.

    I call it being "Brain Dead" which is failing to adapt, even if you have the tools to do so. When I watch such a match, I start mumbling and singing "I wanna be a Macho, Macho Man"

    One of the keys to win vs defender NL hit upon, several. You use variety, then when you are sure of your chance, you go strong and still be ready. I like going heavy, but go strong if ball is high and I read it. Heavy is safer, and often it wins the point, often gives you a good chance to end it if it is bumped back.

    The Following 2 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

    BeGo and NextLevel

    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

    Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

    View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

  20. brabhamista is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 342 285
    brabhamista's Avatar
    brabhamista is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 285 342
    #20
    I think the chopper is outsmarting and outplaying his opponent very well. Despite what looks like inferior technique, he is the better player as he fairly comfortably takes home the win.

    I don't agree that it's about superior technique, lazy execution or staying calm. That assumes that the attacker has the better technique and therefore should win in all cases.

    IMHO, it's an illusion to think that "my technique looks far better so he is naturally not up to my playing standard". Your technique is just one part of winning a match. The other, more important one, is your head and how well you apply your skills and how well you contain your opponent. If you can't play that game, you will loosejust like this guy did.

    Here's a video showing what most people on this forum would call inferior technique. Have a look at it for 2 minutes. That's all you need.
    (Start from 7.50. They have warmed up a bit afetr the first set then)



    I'm willing to bet that most who compare themselves to these players will say: "They look rubbish compared to me. Just look at their forehand techniques. They're awful: stiff and too jerky. And the guy in red can't even serve properly! I'll beat them both."

    But you wouldn't. You wouldn't even come close.

    Yes, they look awful technically, but they certainly know how to play the game of table tennis. At the time of that match, Pattantyus was in the 80's on the world ranking and Chtchetinine was in the 70's.

    In short, none of us would have beaten them, despite most of us probably having more beautiful ("better") technique, because we can't think table tennis to the degree that they can. I certainly wish I had that ability

    The Following 6 Users Like brabhamista's Post:

    BeGo, DoctorPaco and 4 others

    Last edited by brabhamista; 02-29-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.