Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

NDH

says Spin to win!
@NDH
Thanks for the demo. But to be honest, I don't really know how to adjust this spin/speed ratio , I know that I can do the stroke more vertically may be but it is a bit complicated with no spin balls, it works great though with backspin balls. The obvious response might be to brush more, however, I feel like I brush at my maximum ability, if I try more brush thn this I lose consistency. Let me ask you an innocent question, don't you think your setup with ZLC and T05s add to the quality of your shots? in my videos I was playing with 729 on a wood blade deliberately to have a low speed setup to force myself to generate power using a good gesture. Being a real EJ (as many adults I suppose) , I couldn't take it anymore and I took out my ZJK ALC to try to see if the gesture developed combined with the carbon blade now gives that extra power, I'm biased but it feels great playing with an ALC and a tacky forehand rubber.

Hey Musaab,

I'm not sure your experiment (of forcing yourself to generate more power with an all wood blade) is necessarily the best thing to do - If you get to a point where your shots are more powerful and produce more spin with that set up, you'll have to adjust the stroke all over again when you go back to the carbon set up.

I would play consistently with the same set up and really hone your technique and match play with that, rather than change set ups regularly.

Everyone is going to be different on the choice of rubbers - I personally prefer using a EUR/JAP rubber like Tenergy/Tibhar EVO range, because it suits my style of play more than the tacky Chinese rubbers - Looking at your style, I would personally say you'd also benefit from that as well.

The Chinese rubbers offer a huge amount of spin, and great touch around the table - But unless your movement and power generation is amazing, you will be left wanting when attacking away from the table. The EUR/JAP rubbers give you easy access to spin and power, which gives you a greater margin for error when attacking.

As for your question - Does it add to the quality of my shots? I'd say it matters far less than people would like to believe - If you have the technique and skill, you can play with anything - However, I do believe that having a good quality set up will make certain things easier, and might add up to an extra point across an 11 point game.

You said the ALC blade with tacky rubber felt great? I reckon you'll feel even better if you put a EUR/JAP rubber on the forehand - You'll instantly get more access to speed, and then you can work on the "pop" and "whip" to generate more spin, without sacrificing speed.

As NL said, it's not about brushing anymore - If you use EUR/JAP rubbers you can get the perfect balance of speed and spin from the arm speed through the shot, and the angle of contact on the ball - I honestly think it would help.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey Arch,

So, I probably worded it badly before, I'll try and explain.

It's not a case of "modern rubber" vs "old rubber" - The characteristics of Chinese rubbers are:

• Tacky/Spinny
• Hard (you can really feel the ball on the blade much more than a EUR/JAP rubber)
• Fast when hit with a lot of power

Now, these things are great, if you have a "Chinese" style of play - By that, I mean....

• Good footwork to get yourself into position to play aggressive shots
• Full use of the body, from feet to hips to arm, to generate the power and spin

The reason why "historically" the Chinese have played with Hurricane3 on their forehand, and a Tenergy version on their backhand, is because they couldn't generate the speed with the flick of the wrist (backhand), when using Hurricane, compared with Tenergy.

I also don't think it's a case of "doing so much for you", despite the fact I kind of implied that in my last post - However, if you have more of a European style of play, European rubbers will help when compared with Chinese rubbers.

For me for example, if I used Hurricane3 on my forehand, I'd have to adapt my stroke, and not disappear from the table as much as I do (I can still generate power and spin from far behind the table with Tenergy, I wouldn't be able to do that with Hurricane3).

I was going to record a video, but I don't have the time.

Basically..... If you had 2 identical bats, one with hurricane, and 1 with Tenergy on, and you laid them on a flat surface.

When bouncing a ball from the same height, the Hurricane would bounce very low, and probably only 2/3/4 times, the Tenergy would look like a trampoline, and bounce 6/7/8 times.

Imagine that on a forehand, and all of a sudden, if you are out of position, or you've been cramped for time/space, you can still get a shot away which is powerful and spinny.

If you are rushed for time with Hurricane3, or your stroke isn't full bodied..... You won't have the same impact.

Unless you are being coached by someone who recommends a Chinese tacky rubber (and you live anywhere but China), I'd recommend using a Euro/JAP rubber on both sides.

I'm sure others will argue differently - I'm purely basing my opinion on the amount I've played in the UK, and the different set ups I've seen - Very few are successful with Chinese rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I can't say that there is one tried and tested path to getting good swings and I suspect that there might be a case for using slower equipment when learning as an adult based on my experiences using slower equipment as an adult. Since I had excess power, I fell in love with hitting when using faster equipment and never seriously learned to spin until I was forced to much later by inconsistent results. By that time, the kids who focused on spinning had left me way behind.

But does slower equipment help you focus on spinning? It all depends on how you define slower equipment.

What Musaab is using based on what I see in his profile is way too slow unless he is boosting it. That said, all I would do for now is change the rubber. Use something like Andro Hexer or Tibhar Genius or Joola Xplode.

The main reason I never liked ALC blades coming up was that the hard contact didn't encourage the feeling of dwell for my technique. But if Musaab wants to test the rubbers on the ZJK blade that is okay too, but I would recommend he get something more advanced on the forehand. His forehand is already good enough for an advanced rubber. Anything I mentioned but anything Tenergy or ESN above 46 degrees in hardness will be fine.

The main reason why people recommend slow equipment to learners is that it is cheaper. The other reason is control and the control reasons is because the recommenders put too much emphasis on missing the table.

For me, it is less important to make a shot on the table than for me to understand that my equipment is responding to my technique the way I expect it to. This is easy when the equipment is slower but more difficult when it is faster. But the solution is not to just go to slow equipment. The solution is to try things with your equipment and see where the limits are. This is how you improve quickly and learn your equipment faster. Trust your body to adjust if you give it enough time.

People don't try to loop balls into the net, hit corners or white lines and or even loop a heavy topspin ball onto their aide of the table. I do because it gives me a better idea of what it takes to control my equipment vs incoming spin. The racket angles that you think will never work are sometimes the ones you need in matches to contain heavy spin. And you do not figure them out without repeatedly trying to figure out the range of your equipment. The other thing is learning to control incoming shots or to hit them back with power from your preferred distance. Equipment that is too fast makes this harder close to the table.

But regardless of what Musaab does, he is going to get better. But at least, put a better rubber on your forehand, Musaab, you have earned it. It will let you understand depth of contact and variation much better.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Honestly I am only using 729 FX both sides because I can't afford to keep replacing even a bit more expensive rubber.

I used to not really understand it, but now I understand that I'm probably never gonna hit the limits of a rubber like that, with what my body is currently capable of. Right now I'm generating maybe 10% of my potential power, and I'm continents off from getting peak performance. Once in a blue moon I hit a relatively good shot and it's like I switched rubbers.

Maybe if I really focused on conditioning and got some serious training I'd be closer, but I doubt I'd ever get close to maxing out something like H3. Hell, I'm not sure I could max out an easier rubber, hence the point about using "easier" rubbers.

I took some footage today. We tried our best, but some rust of not playing for 4+ months and general lack of conditioning gets to you. Uploading soon.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Honestly I am only using 729 FX both sides because I can't afford to keep replacing even a bit more expensive rubber.

I used to not really understand it, but now I understand that I'm probably never gonna hit the limits of a rubber like that, with what my body is currently capable of. Right now I'm generating maybe 10% of my potential power, and I'm continents off from getting peak performance. Once in a blue moon I hit a relatively good shot and it's like I switched rubbers.

Maybe if I really focused on conditioning and got some serious training I'd be closer, but I doubt I'd ever get close to maxing out something like H3. Hell, I'm not sure I could max out an easier rubber, hence the point about using "easier" rubbers.

I took some footage today. We tried our best, but some rust of not playing for 4+ months and general lack of conditioning gets to you. Uploading soon.

Sometimes, using cheap rubber is part of the problem as the rubber is not responding as well to the stroke in a way that encourages you to improve along the right path. So your perspective is very limited by your experience and is not relevant. The simple question to ask is which world class players that you want to play like are using your rubbers? blade? overall setup? When you identify them, then you know where your game can get to if you take it in that direction.

If not world class, which good players?

IF no good players, then you had better have enough experience with your equipment or be a good player before commenting with authority on what is possible or impossible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
yes i'm in the French forum same user name.
I'm not half Japanese, i'm not Japanese at all.

but you live in Japan and speak Japanese right?

May I ask what common phrases that you hear in the club in Japan?

I'm imagining stuff like バックハンド、すごい!when complimenting others.

do they curse themselves when they make a bad shot?

says what [IMG]
@NextLevel

I've only heard stories and seen some footage of amateurs playing with my rubber and a similar blade, and even compared to them I am very far off. I can imagine a world class player could do a thing or two that I don't even think is possible.

Well instead of worrying about that, I think I'll get a rubber upgrade in some time. The blade feels fine, I think.

Here's today's footage, uncut and unedited for your suffering. :rolleyes:

There's a lot of crap to wade through, but all of my issues should be pretty apparent from casual viewing of each video. Don't expect any good play.

If anyone would have the time, do offer me some advice. What I can say is that my swing at least does not hurt my back or shoulder like it used to. It doesn't feel particularly bad: I just have no real idea what I'm doing.

I feel the use of my legs in particular is really conservative. I caught myself leaning back quite a few times, and I can see my feet are doing some weird stuff during swings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiPhLknQfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cvlc6y_XJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDjwsN71SI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyYubg9T7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNefGe-zt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJsDWs-1IeE

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
but you live in Japan and speak Japanese right?

May I ask what common phrases that you hear in the club in Japan?

I'm imagining stuff like バックハンド、すごい!when complimenting others.

do they curse themselves when they make a bad shot?

Just slightly related: I am learning japanese (as my major at the university), so after the next year I will start to translate japanese TT reviews and articles (now it's my first semester, so I am not yet at that level)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
@NextLevel

I've only heard stories and seen some footage of amateurs playing with my rubber and a similar blade, and even compared to them I am very far off. I can imagine a world class player could do a thing or two that I don't even think is possible.

Well instead of worrying about that, I think I'll get a rubber upgrade in some time. The blade feels fine, I think.

Here's today's footage, uncut and unedited for your suffering. :rolleyes:

There's a lot of crap to wade through, but all of my issues should be pretty apparent from casual viewing of each video. Don't expect any good play.

If anyone would have the time, do offer me some advice. What I can say is that my swing at least does not hurt my back or shoulder like it used to. It doesn't feel particularly bad: I just have no real idea what I'm doing.

I feel the use of my legs in particular is really conservative. I caught myself leaning back quite a few times, and I can see my feet are doing some weird stuff during swings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiPhLknQfQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cvlc6y_XJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDjwsN71SI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyYubg9T7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJNefGe-zt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJsDWs-1IeE

I think in a few years you'll progress a lot. You just need formal training. taking personal lessons would be the best. You do lots of things wrong, but as far as I can see, you are totally capable of correct these mistakes. As you don't have money (sooo familiar) you can't afford a personal coach. After Xmas I might help you by analysing some of your videos (I believe other members will do it soon if you ask). Keep recording yourself and compare it to the pros, it's the best what you can do without money.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I think in a few years you'll progress a lot. You just need formal training. taking personal lessons would be the best. You do lots of things wrong, but as far as I can see, you are totally capable of correct these mistakes. As you don't have money (sooo familiar) you can't afford a personal coach. After Xmas I might help you by analysing some of your videos (I believe other members will do it soon if you ask). Keep recording yourself and compare it to the pros, it's the best what you can do without money.
Yep, as I thought. I am not even taking my backhand very seriously because I feel I really need a coach for that.

In every video I look at my worst shots and my best shots and do frame by frame and video comparisons to various pros and see if I can pick up something. Now I know it's a bit foolish to look at Ma Long or Zhang Jike or something and try to copy it exactly (Mostly because everyone has their own mechanics anyway...) but I mean just looking at things like how much my legs are bent during contact or followthrough and in what direction, how high my bat is during contact, what kind of timing the arm has compared to the body etc.

What I'm most concerned by is just how inconsistent my technique is. Some shots have one thing right, some have another, some don't have anything. When I can do 10 decent forehands in a row combining all the good points, I will feel I've got somewhere.

EDIT:

What the hell are my legs doing? Is there even any real force going into the ball? It looks backwards to me. This was one of the best shots by the way. If I could swing like this every time I could develop it. They look more similar than in reality due to just being frames, so:

https://youtu.be/1sGQz5Xp7uE?t=88

https://youtu.be/_cvlc6y_XJA?t=203

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Yep, as I thought. I am not even taking my backhand very seriously because I feel I really need a coach for that.

In every video I look at my worst shots and my best shots and do frame by frame and video comparisons to various pros and see if I can pick up something. Now I know it's a bit foolish to look at Ma Long or Zhang Jike or something and try to copy it exactly (Mostly because everyone has their own mechanics anyway...) but I mean just looking at things like how much my legs are bent during contact or followthrough and in what direction, how high my bat is during contact, what kind of timing the arm has compared to the body etc.

What I'm most concerned by is just how inconsistent my technique is. Some shots have one thing right, some have another, some don't have anything. When I can do 10 decent forehands in a row combining all the good points, I will feel I've got somewhere.

Consistency is just a matter of time. I know it's a cliché, but sometimes you feel you don't progress at all and you won't: keep training, no matter what. I am just out of one of these terrible periods, which lasted for a half year. Now I feel better and do better. Never give up!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Arch,

"Consistency not intensity."
~Unknown

"Progress not perfection."
~Denzel Washington as Robert McCall in The Equalizer (2014)

"The Way is in training."
~Miyamoto Musashi

Just keep at it when you can. Safe training and have Fun!

Unknown is you? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Unknown is you? :D

LOL -- no, i've heard that for a long time, and don't recall who said it first, if anyone is on record for saying it. But the saying and concept has been known for a long time, just the person who said it first is unknown

Reactions: ajtatosmano2