Tiago Apolonia ZLC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hi guys,

So I was looking for a penhold version of this blade, but I couldn't find anything about this on the internet.
I then went and messaged my table tennis supplier who then contacted Australia Butterfly to ask for me.
He was told that Tiago Apolonia ZLC is just a rebranding of the innerforce ZLC which is also the same as Timo Boll ZLC.

Does anyone know if this is correct? Initially I thought that the Tiago Apolonia ZLC is something new that was designed with the help of Tiago Apolonia and not just a rebranding.

If anyone can help shed some light into this, that would be great. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Composition of Apolonia ZLC and innerforce layer zlc is the same, however innerforce layer thickness is different.
Both these blades have a composition of Limba-Limba-zlc-Ayous-zlc-Limba-Limba

composition of timo boll zlc is way different. KOTO-ZLC-Limba-Ayous-Limba-ZLC-KOTO

Thanks Shuki, what is the difference in thickness? And how does it affect playing?

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi Jeff,

Pretty much what Shuki has already said.

It's worth remembering Butterfly are a very good marketing company (a bit like Apple) - So whilst they will tell you something is new and amazing, a lot of the time it is just a very slight adjustment on a previous model.

They have so many now, that unless they come out with a new type of carbon etc (ALC/ZLC), it's quite hard to bring an entirely "new" blade to market.

If you like the Apolonia ZLC, I'd go for it - But yes, if you can test an Innerforce ZLC, it will be almost identical.

Reactions: JeffM

NDH

says Spin to win!
Jeff, try it for yourself and see.

It's not going to be AS good as a quicker blade for smashes, but I wouldn't say it's bad (depends how hard you hit it ;) )

Although if I was picking out attributes I wanted in a blade.... "Smashing" would be pretty near the bottom of my list.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Do you remember what the rubbers were?

To me, the rubbers make more of a difference to initial feedback than the blade.

To compare blades, you need to play with the same ball and rubbers for each test. Otherwise it's kinda pointless.

JeffM,

The other thing is that different blades even of the same exact type play differently. Wood is a living thing. Weight matters. So unless you get the exact blade you tested, you may not like the one you ordered that is different. TT is like that. In the end, the more you use a blade, the more you adapt to it and the more it adapts to you. So just find one you like and use it.

An Innerforce ZLC may be a fun blade for you, but it is too fast for what you should be using, though you do use Hurricane and that might make a big difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Jeff, try it for yourself and see.

It's not going to be AS good as a quicker blade for smashes, but I wouldn't say it's bad (depends how hard you hit it ;) )

Although if I was picking out attributes I wanted in a blade.... "Smashing" would be pretty near the bottom of my list.
Well on the other hand, IF ZLC is a stupid good blade for looping. The dwell time, dayum

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I wasn't overly keen on the IF ZLC - It was "nice", paired decently with the Tenergy I had on, but it wasn't "wow".....

You love fast blades tho. I like the blade but when someone says a blade is great for looping, I want to see their loop so I can get an idea of what they are really saying.

Jeff,
Why not try out the DHS Hurricane Hao 2 great penhold looping blade 5 ply all wood with great flex and not really expensive about €98.
I use this blade and I can get alot control but easily fast enough to finish the point
And it's really comfy in the hands for RPB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDH

says Spin to win!
You love fast blades tho. I like the blade but when someone says a blade is great for looping, I want to see their loop so I can get an idea of what they are really saying.

Ahhh, I do love a fast blade.

Played with a TBS last night for a bit (whilst they were using my set up) - Huuuuuuge difference to the Garaydia ZLC.

It should be compulsory for people to post videos of their forehand loop...... Everyone loves a good forehand loop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ahhh, I do love a fast blade.

Played with a TBS last night for a bit (whilst they were using my set up) - Huuuuuuge difference to the Garaydia ZLC.

It should be compulsory for people to post videos of their forehand loop...... Everyone loves a good forehand loop.

Yes. Especially when a blade is great for looping and will turn my good forehand loop into a great forehand loop.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
JeffM,

An Innerforce ZLC may be a fun blade for you, but it is too fast for what you should be using, though you do use Hurricane and that might make a big difference.

Thanks NL, I think I get what you mean. I should probably be using a slower blade to develop my technique better. I do have a rosewood V so I can always go back on that. Although currently I am using Carbonado 145, when I last used the innerforce ZLC, I didn't have to adjust much from carbonado 145, but the loop feeling quite strong, although not sure whether that's just because the blade is heavier or not. I only tried it briefly last time so I will try again next time I get the opportunity.

Jeff,
Why not try out the DHS Hurricane Hao 2 great penhold looping blade 5 ply all wood with great flex and not really expensive about €98.
I use this blade and I can get alot control but easily fast enough to finish the point
And it's really comfy in the hands for RPB

Thanks Pricey 11, similar to what I say to NL, I think the DHS will be probably be a good one for me too, but I also have a rosewood V that I can fall back to. One thing I really like about the carbon blades is the speed, but the downside is reduced dwell time which can be associated to less spin. But I think if carbonado 145 is ok with me, maybe a moderate speed zlc will be ok for me.

P.S. I am not getting a blade anytime soon, if I do get a new blade, earliest will be the end of the year. So I still have some time to make up my mind.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Completely agree with NL about wanting to see their hitting when they review equipment. A few times I've read reviews by people and thought "wow this sounds perfect" only to see their gameplay later and think to myself "wow this guy has no idea what he's doing"

So when you read that I say it's good for looping you may want to know my level or see footage of me hitting more recently before deciding based on my post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk