Doubles Rules

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey guys,

This one gets brought up at least once a season, and I can't find the definitive rule!

in doubles, at the change of ends, can the serving team decide who serves first, or does it have to be the person who received the ball in the first game.

Subsequently, can the team serving first in each set decide who serves first?

So, player A serves to player X in the first set.

At at the start of the THIRD set, could player B decide to serve first (and he would serve to player Y)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I believe in the standard competition, each side had to specified who will be the first serve/received, and it remains all the same.

For example, the first serve/receive will be
game 1 A serve to X
game 2 X serve to A
game 3 A serve to X
and etc...

At least, this is how the format is for all the team/double competition I had over Singapore

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
In the first game the pair serving first will decide who is serving first. The receiving pair will decide who is receiving first. If this is A on X, it will always be. A->X->B->Y in game 1,3,5 and reverse in game 2 and 4. (Draw a Z on the score sheet and mark it with names. Read from top left in first game, from bottom right in the second and you will have the sequense).

In the second game XY can decide who will serve first in this game (they can chose), and the receiver will be given. If they decide Y to serve, it will be B to receive.

In the third game AB can decide who will serve first in this game (they can chose), and the receiver will be give. If they decide B will serve, it will be Y to receive.

In the fifth game (if best of five) the receiver must change when you come to 5 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
2.13.04 In each game of a doubles match, the pair having the right to serve first shall choose which of them will do so and in the first game of a match the receiving pair shall decide which of them will receive first; in subsequent games of the match, the first server having been chosen, the first receiver shall be the player who served to him or her in the preceding game.

As you see you can chose server in each game. Receiver only in the first game.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Reactions: dio_hgw
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
At the beginning of each game the pair who are serving can choose which of them serves first, but after the first game they must serve to the correct opponent

That´s what it says there. If in first game A serves to X, this will be so in game 3,5,7 ... But if the A/B pair decides that B serves first in game 3, of course the receiving side has to adapt.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
This rule is pretty clear in the sense that the side that gets to serve gets to choose who will serve , the receivers in the first game get to choose who will receive but after that they have to follow the cue from the server because the server-receiver combination needs to keep changing from one game to the next.

The one that I wanted a confirmation on and I can't seem to find it on the internet is the practice of changing the receiver in the final game once one team reaches 5 points and the teams change ends . It seems fair but can someone point me to the official rule on this ? I am just intrigued , I know its the right thing to do to keep things even for both sides but just interested to get the confirmation from the rule book or any umpires out there ..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
T
The one that I wanted a confirmation on and I can't seem to find it on the internet is the practice of changing the receiver in the final game once one team reaches 5 points and the teams change ends

2.13.06 The player or pair serving first in a game shall receive first in the next game of the match and in the last possible game of a doubles match the pair due to receive next shall change their order of receiving when first one pair scores 5 points.

<tbody>
</tbody>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks Airoc !
2.13.06The player or pair serving first in a game shall receive first in the next game of the match and in the last possible game of a doubles match the pair due to receive next shall change their order of receiving when first one pair scores 5 points.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Reactions: Suga D