Friendly match Video, feedback please!

says what [IMG]
Siva, at least you're out there and playing.

I know from experience that it's hard to improve in a situation like this, or at least it's hard to make real big leaps. Your opponent can't really spin at all, so it will be a different game when you go against someone who you keep whiffing your shots against and need to be much lower than normal. Again, I know from experience.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Siva, at least you're out there and playing.

I know from experience that it's hard to improve in a situation like this, or at least it's hard to make real big leaps. Your opponent can't really spin at all, so it will be a different game when you go against someone who you keep whiffing your shots against and need to be much lower than normal. Again, I know from experience.

Come on Archo, stop talking out the wrong orifice. Look how much Spin Siva is getting. Look how little effort. If his opponent could not spin the ball to some extent, his shots would not come back at all.

The reason Siva needs higher level opponents is so the ball comes back more. Eventually his opponents/training partners get overpowered by Siva's spin. A good player would just keep putting the ball back. Siva has great touch. But all of that spin he is giving is coming from his arm. His hips are stiffer than a chopstick. A better opponent giving him back ball after ball might start getting him to use his legs and hips in his shots. It would take time. But they definitely are not part of Siva's stroke production as of now. And being able to loop a few hundred balls in a row over and over where the training partner keeps putting the ball back with quality, would help him get that rhythm. As of now, he does not have the rhythm. In spite of that, without his legs and hips, his shots have too much juice for his opponents.

And yet, if you can't see how much he has improved from that first training video he posted way back, you may need to check your eye glass prescription. Those kinds of improvements don't happen without something going right.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
He is deceptive ...... did someone notice he is starting from beginning with his left hand ?

Yeah, I was actually going to ask why he was using the left hand for most of it if he is trying to help the other guy. His left hand is not bad. But it is not consistent enough for him to place the ball how he wants it. Which means, he is doing the guy he is "helping" a bit of a disservice. With the right hand, he would have been able to put the ball where he meant to with a much higher degree of accuracy. When someone is learning, they need a certain amount of that consistency from their training partner to help them improve.

Reactions: bobpuls
says what [IMG]
@UpSideDownCarl

I never said he hasn't improved. His latest forehand is quite good really. Especially compared to what he was posting a year ago. Relative to me, he has improved way more IMO. For how he trains, for his supposed one day a week of playing, it's great.

I'm just giving my view as someone who is somewhat in the same situation. Being able to hit with sub-optimal technique and go through people hasn't done a lot of good for the image of a "good shot" in my mind. So when I play someone stronger than usual, it might not always cut it.

I'll take everything I said back if Siva suddenly posts a video of him counterlooping the same kind of spin that he is giving out. :rolleyes:

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Archo, you are an interesting character. You are not at Siva's level. Because his shots have a lot of spin, what is coming back does actually have decent spin. I would be careful comparing your situation and his.

It is true, it would be interesting seeing some good counterlooping rallies and how he would handle a good quality loop. But his touch is pretty darn good. I have a feeling that would not be his main issue. And what he would benefit most from is someone who could block his loop over and over again so he could really groove his stroke.

And if you are watching his videos, the two things that stand out to me are that the training partner cannot handle his ball well enough to give him multiple balls with quality, and this holds back his training. And that he needs to groove his strokes enough to get the hips and legs into his shots.

If he had knee or hip injuries, I would say these videos are great. But I think his knees are fine. And even though these videos show great improvement and decent skills, using the body appears to be a challenge for him. If he did, he would get more power. Probably shadow strokes in front of a mirror would also help him. They certainly would help his feet as well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Yeah, I was actually going to ask why he was using the left hand for most of it if he is trying to help the other guy. His left hand is not bad. But it is not consistent enough for him to place the ball how he wants it. Which means, he is doing the guy he is "helping" a bit of a disservice. With the right hand, he would have been able to put the ball where he meant to with a much higher degree of accuracy. When someone is learning, they need a certain amount of that consistency from their training partner to help them improve.

Hey I was doing Jiu Jitsu for someweeks and we do real fight for last 30 min on mat at the end of each session. I put too much pressure on my right arm again each time and it got inflammed. So I played with pain that day till I can and have to switch to left since we decided to go further with practice session for him

And that he needs to groove his strokes enough to get the hips and legs into his shots.

There is a reason why you see world upside down, You pick apart and compartmentalize things easily. I never thought about hip and lower body as I was too obsessed with upper arm movement restriction. Now I have to do shadow workouts like last time which you suggested. I tried some actually in the game on tuesday. Lets see how that went

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
2nd game from yesterday. Tried to have fair chance for opponent so no spin in the serve and first game except last point no attack. But, he got little agitated and made many mistakes, just reminded me how i played exactly couple of years back

I actually tried to put some knee but being fat fick doesn't help ye

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
2nd game from yesterday. Tried to have fair chance for opponent so no spin in the serve and first game except last point no attack. But, he got little agitated and made many mistakes, just reminded me how i played exactly couple of years back

You are so much too good for this opponent. With someone like this you should just put the ball back nicely over and over and let him try and hit the ball by you. Then you will at least get moved around and get some kind of practice from it. But he is pretty terrible. That ridiculous topspin serve. The fact that you keep hitting at his switching point and he does't figure it out.

It is a shame. You really would get so much more out of the game if you could play with people who could play at your level and push your limits.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Some training today!

Hey Siva, nice to see you developing. Carl really has a point though. I like seeing you swinging hard without holding yourself back, so hence it's useful having somebody that knows how to deal with those kind of balls.
At this point it might also make sense investing in a coach and if that is not possible then maybe a robot.
But i must say you're doing better and better. So don't quit. You're on the right path, buddy. Keep it up!
[Emoji2]
If i can make it i might be in HH in July or August for a quick stopover, so maybe we could manage to hit for a minute or two. Then i can show you better what i'm talking of.
Good one.
[Emoji6]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If i can make it i might be in HH in July or August for a quick stopover, so maybe we could manage to hit for a minute or two. Then i can show you better what i'm talking of.
Good one.
[Emoji6]

Where is that darn Super Like Button? :)

That would be so great to see you guys training together.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Good one.

You enthuse positive effect on everyone man, it is infectious.

Good one.

I would be very glad to meet you and also others in TTD and get some time to hit these balls. It would be great fun and learning opportunity as well. I would also love to know more about your music as well and how Sugaad became Suga D!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
You are so much too good for this opponent. With someone like this you should just put the ball back nicely over and over and let him try and hit the ball by you. Then you will at least get moved around and get some kind of practice from it. But he is pretty terrible. That ridiculous topspin serve. The fact that you keep hitting at his switching point and he does't figure it out.

It is a shame. You really would get so much more out of the game if you could play with people who could play at your level and push your limits.

Hey this guy is just coming back to play ping pong after many years. We did different drills that day and also I tried to show and explain many things about TT which i know to him. But, everytime anyone plays me I promised myself that I transform their game by how much they can take at that moment and almost all of them thank me for sharing the knowledge like how i thank you many times. It is part of receiving and giving.