Friendly match Video, feedback please!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi, getting back to game after a while, trying to move and work on some aspects of the game. Here is the final set of a friendly match. Other sets don't have that much play as most of points finished in the serve. I tried to show some aspects of my game in this set, so that I could learn from the community. I have worked on lot of aspects related to forehand and backhand, I hope some of them transferred to real life.

My forehand is very slow here because of a inflammation in my upper arm from freestyle combat, so I moved like zombie in most FH attacks. Feedbacks related to improvement are appreciated.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Teach me senpai ^_^

Seriously, if you really want feedback on how to improve your game, upload a video of a match in which you struggle, preferable longer than just short of 3 minutes. Else, when uploading matches against opponents that are barely out of "playing-with-friends-in-the-home-garage" level, all you will ever get is sarcastic praise.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hahahaha. This is funny.

Siva, you have shown yet again, that against an opponent that does not know how to read or return your serves that they don't know how to read or return your serves. And then, when they have trouble returning your pushes as well, you have shown how they are not such good opponents for you to test your abilities.

Your FH has improved some though.

My recommendation, my feedback, IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE, play people who can return your serves. Most likely, if they can, they will be at a level that will help you improve and learn what your weaknesses actually are.

But, here we go:

1) Serves are very good and give you free points and weak returns.

2) First return of serve (1st point in game) is very high and you were not ready for it to land on the table. You made the shot. But you were not ready. Against a good opponent you would have been in trouble.

3) @ 1.12 your opponent serves to your FH. You make a terrible return, pushing, with your BH reaching to the FH side. The return is high. If your opponent gave you that return, you would have ripped it. But your opponent is not very good so he tries and fails to push your push back. He wasn't even good enough to push that high ball. A good opponent would have made you pay for such a weak, high push to the middle of the table.

4) @ 2:23, last point of the game, you serve, your opponent pushes to your FH, you push back with your BH!!!! It is the worst push of the game from either side of the table. It is high and you are sort of lucky it lands and that your opponent is not capable of attacking a high push.

Did your opponent land 1 attack? No

Did your opponent get any points on anything besides pushes that hit the net? No.

Can he play? That doesn't matter. You are doing yourself a disservice playing someone so much worse than you.

Best advice for you: find people to play who can return your serves and give you a good match. Without that you are only harming your own ability to progress.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I watched a little Carl , I don't think the serves are good most of them are too high or long and slow ... anybody with a decent spin reading capabilities would be killing them on the first loop after they get used to them on the first game .
Hahahaha. This is funny.

Siva, you have shown yet again, that against an opponent that does not know how to read or return your serves that they don't know how to read or return your serves. And then, when they have trouble returning your pushes as well, you have shown how they are not such good opponents for you to test your abilities.

Your FH has improved some though.

My recommendation, my feedback, IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE, play people who can return your serves. Most likely, if they can, they will be at a level that will help you improve and learn what your weaknesses actually are.

But, here we go:

1) Serves are very good and give you free points and weak returns.

2) First return of serve (1st point in game) is very high and you were not ready for it to land on the table. You made the shot. But you were not ready. Against a good opponent you would have been in trouble.

3) @ 1.12 your opponent serves to your FH. You make a terrible return, pushing, with your BH reaching to the FH side. The return is high. If your opponent gave you that return, you would have ripped it. But your opponent is not very good so he tries and fails to push your push back. He wasn't even good enough to push that high ball. A good opponent would have made you pay for such a weak, high push to the middle of the table.

4) @ 2:23, last point of the game, you serve, your opponent pushes to your FH, you push back with your BH!!!! It is the worst push of the game from either side of the table. It is high and you are sort of lucky it lands and that your opponent is not capable of attacking a high push.

Did your opponent land 1 attack? No

Did your opponent get any points on anything besides pushes that hit the net? No.

Can he play? That doesn't matter. You are doing yourself a disservice playing someone so much worse than you.

Best advice for you: find people to play who can return your serves and give you a good match. Without that you are only harming your own ability to progress.

Your technique when serving is ok. Your serves are quite decent too, but in this video that you have uploaded your opponent clearly does not know the basics of table tennis, no offense. One small point i would make is that when you are receiving serve you should be a bit more to your left.
Keep it up you can do better than this.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I watched a little Carl , I don't think the serves are good most of them are too high or long and slow ... anybody with a decent spin reading capabilities would be killing them on the first loop after they get used to them on the first game .

Yeah. I was being nice. [emoji2]

I felt it was worth starting out positive since my main point was: "what the heck are you doing trying to push a ball on your FH side with your BH without moving your feet?"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Don't feed the beast Carl ... :rolleyes: else the Malong serve video hydra heads will start popping up from nowhere again and the goon squad will have to stomp them out ....

Yeah. I was being nice. [emoji2]

I felt it was worth starting out positive since my main point was: "what the heck are you doing trying to push a ball on your FH side with your BH without moving your feet?"

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Whining, Drone-sheeping, baby-shrieking, bootlicking, psychopathic manipulation are some of the outstanding characteristics one encounters on a daily basis in this forum.

So here is my way of doing it a little bit different by helping mates in the places I play to improve their game. This is one of the greatest satisfactions I get when there is a opportunity to share whatever I have.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
not at all its just against players in a much lower catagory you cannot give advice unless its very obviously a weak area. For example if you are playing against a MUCH weaker opponant you can usually get away with a slow long topspin loop, if it goes high often they misjudge it and miss, against a good player it will just be smashed but it wont look weak when you put 15 past a new player, it will look spiny enough to be a winner.
its nice to teach people the basics but no one is going to be able to give ronaldo advice when he is running rings aroung bournmouth city! or putting every shot away! but then a good goalkeeper might save it and then its turned over possesion.

Reactions: sanavasaraja
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'm noting a few things. This is a very imbalanced game, but that's been remarked upon extensively already.

One other thing I note even in this game is footwork/balance. When unexpectedly receiving a short return (forgot to jot down the timestamp, sorry) you move forward and lean in - without moving into position. As a result, you reach forward, lose balance, have to throw your behind backwards to regain it. Effectively, this puts you out of balance for a long time, causing a rather large window of vulnerability.

There's room for improvement there. You could consider making movement habitual, explicitly "hopping" into position for every stroke. I know I'm lost if I don't, both because when out of balance many unnecessary errors occur, but also because I'll be easily outplaced by the opponent's next hit.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Guys, this is purely troll food right here.

The OP can help out a newbie to a certain extent - But it then becomes the blind leading the blind.

I actually have admiration for the fact the OP is wanting to help newcomers to the sport.

However, to then post videos looking for praise about how good he is after he's just demolished someone who hasn't been playing for long, is..... well...... strange to say the least.

If the OP had posted the second video, and said "I'm helping out new guys to the sport, can anyone offer coaching advice?" - There would have been a whole world of positivity towards him (despite the previous situations the OP has got himself into).

But, this is simply someone who wants a heap of praise, all the time, and doesn't like the uncomfortable truths from better players with more experience.

You learn from a young age...... Don't feed the trolls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
What does the bicep-grip thing do?

It does nothing to the game, but helps me massage and relieve the pain on my right upper arm :D

@Jaffar, @Carl, @yoass

thanks for the feedback from what could be seen in that set. It helps me to improve as always.

@Grumpy_sheep_squad

Keep doing your thing and work for social justice through keyboard. I just can laugh at your foolishness