Lin Gaoyan's Style and the Poly Era

This user has no status.
Truer words have never been spoken. Xu Xin's play reminds of of Ryu Seung-min's play back in the day when he was young. :p Step around everything and play that monster forehand.

Problem is the ball is bigger now and a little less spiny and XX is a little older. he still has no BH and is afraid to use it consistently. The single winged penholder on the pro level is truly dead.

Future players will have to favor more of the Wang Hao style of play.

XX speed and agility has helped him survive so far, and the new ball IMHO does work against his efforts.
As of now, I beleive XX is at a crossroads and his options are essentially limited down to either 1) He can develop/strengthen his backhand and begin incoorporating it more (back around 2013, when he was ranked 1st, his backhand was the strongest and the most consistent it has ever been) - my basketball coach used to say "you are only as strong as your greatest weakness". 2) He takes his forehand to the next level and makes it downright lethal. I've mentioned this before, but I strongly feel he needs to upgrade his gear to something more powerful and explosive (the way ML did) and become a rally closer than a rally survivor.
I also absolutely agree that future penhold players will definitely have to favor more of a Wang Hao style of play. XX however, is extremely fascinating, because if anyone can do it differently than WH and still succeed, it is him. I am very interested to see the next step in XX's evolution, but what is undeniable is that it is time for him to evolve.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
XX speed and agility has helped him survive so far, and the new ball IMHO does work against his efforts.
As of now, I beleive XX is at a crossroads and his options are essentially limited down to either 1) He can develop/strengthen his backhand and begin incoorporating it more (back around 2013, when he was ranked 1st, his backhand was the strongest and the most consistent it has ever been) - my basketball coach used to say "you are only as strong as your greatest weakness". 2) He takes his forehand to the next level and makes it downright lethal. I've mentioned this before, but I strongly feel he needs to upgrade his gear to something more powerful and explosive (the way ML did) and become a rally closer than a rally survivor.
I also absolutely agree that future penhold players will definitely have to favor more of a Wang Hao style of play. XX however, is extremely fascinating, because if anyone can do it differently than WH and still succeed, it is him. I am very interested to see the next step in XX's evolution, but what is undeniable is that it is time for him to evolve.

I kind of agree with this. I think Xu Xin was always going to be limited and he has never accomplished as much as Wang Hao because what he does is so physically demanding and he will only get slower, not quicker (like RSM). Given the states of their backhands, it is absolutely amazing either of those guys (XX and RSM) accomplished as much as they did. I am not sure 40+ balls have anything much to do with Xu Xin's career progression. I think the Wang Hao approach has always been the most advanced way to play penhold, and we will probably see some more like him.

All 40+ balls dip a little faster than celluloid balls, but the ABS versions bounce a little higher and more consistently and a lot of people would say they are more like celluloid that crappy cellulose acetate balls. I am not sure all that much will change once everybody has gotten used to the ABS balls. After all, we have seen Nittaku balls used in tournaments before the ATTC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
BTW, Wang Liqin's shot "that owned a decade" looks a bit shorter than FZD's or ML, both in training and many match situations:

WLQ has very large motion after the stroke is made which is bad for recovery, the modern era players rarely do that, perhaps ma long sometimes when it is necessary