Need help in serve receive

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Hello,

There is already a lot of wisdom shared on this post and I agree to all of the points mentioned, so far. Based on the questions which you have raised, I wanted to ask you the following questions (as I couldn't find answers to them by going through the posts):
1. What kind of spin is troubling you the most? Example, underspin, topspin, break-away from FH or break-in to FH?
2. As you suggested, you are a FH dominant player - so, what do you intend to do with your receive? Example, put the ball back with placement or kill it? It is important to identify one's response and mindset in order to understand what goes through your mind?
3. Receiving stance and position with respect to the table - Normally, where do you stand against a right handed opponent or against a left handed opponent?
4. One correction - as a player, you should normally think before the point or after the point, but never during the point - you trust your muscle memory and subconscious to do the job for you.
5. Additionally, do you practice any relaxation? Like relaxing yourself and trying to breathe even. Even though you are not reading the spin?
6. Most people here would recommend to take the ball early, which by the way is the best way. However, I have personally experienced that taking the ball as late as possible, and pushing it also works. I have tried this approach when I am in a tight spot and I am not able to read the serve myself. Now, here I would like to clarify that push is not only done with open face racket, you can push the ball in various ways using different bat angles. So please keep this in consideration.
7. What do you tell yourself when you miss a receive? Do you scold yourself or you try to see what exactly happened?
8. As a player, you need a photographic memory - meaning you should slowly become proficient in capturing the action/movement/contactpoint/spin generated by your opponent. If you play an opponent quite frequently then this keeps on becoming easier and easier. So try to relax and just see what the action is (sometimes the action itself gives you a clue on what the opponent is going to serve) then keep a close look at the contact point and the generated spin.

Thanks and good luck!!
KM1976

This user has no status.
Today i received rather poorly compared to usual. When I reflect on it, apart from the lack of technique and bad reading of the incoming serve, there was also a lack of commitment.

Once you have identified the incoming spin then you should take the right action. If you hesitate it will be anyway a weak return and an easy kill. If you misread the spin and for example tried to push a topspin ball and it pops up, that's too bad. But that was perhaps the right thing to do if you thought the serve was underpin...

So it's first about reading the spin . And then having the techniques to know what to do to the ball once you know the spin