Votes: 7 10.4%
  • It's not so important for me

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
What handle shape do you prefer

I had a discussion with a friend about the importance of the blade handle shape. I think we came to the right conclusion that unless you are flipping blade sides, the shape of the handle is totally up to the personal taste...

I have used all 3 types: straight, anatomical, flared. I find straight ones the least comfortable, the anatomical are little bit overkill so for me flared are the best.

So I am curious what type of handle do you use and how important the blade handle shape is for you. When I was looking for my new blade I was thinking about Cornilleau Hinotec Off as my friend had it and I did really like it. But unfortunately I could get it only in a straight handle and because the handle type is quite important for me I chose the second blade in the list but with flared handle...

In my club I think most of them are flared, then straight ones go next

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I prefer straight, since I am able to adjust my hand to a different position for BH and FH. Most of my pressure is coming from my thumb and index finger and a find it uncomfortable being forced into a specific position by the shape of the flare. I don't really have the skills to reform flare shapes to accommodate my hand positions. My understanding is that moving up the ladder, what starts out as a predominant flare preference changes to about 50-50. So, there doesn't seem to be any advantage from one over another.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
I prefer flaired. I discovered that the Stiga legend grip has diferent sizes with diferent models. For example; the legend grip of an Infinity is bigger than the one on my Rosewood and Ebenholz blades.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Always had flared up until now. I'm currently playing with an anatomical grip, which I've wanted to try ever since I picked up someone else's bat, and I'm finding it seems to suit my hand. I have to say though that Butterfly's anatomical grip is very minimally shaped - you could easily mistake it for flared unless you look carefully.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Some thoughts.

When I first started, the first time, back in 1991, I accidentally got a blade with an Anatomic handle and loved it. Then I got a different blade that had a flared handle and didn’t like the flared handle as much. So I got the same blade a second time but with an Anatomic handle.

Back then I held the racket a bit like a club and really held with the fingers that are on the handle. So the Anatomic handle fit better in my hand because it is thicker where the palm is.

Which is exactly why, these days, I like a flare. The handle being thinner where you are actually holding allows me to use more wrist. And the flared shape actually allows me to use that shape for leverage on shots that use more wrist as the blade moves tangentially. (Credits to PNut for the word tangential). [emoji2]

Everyone feels things differently. And I could use anything because I am not really holding with the part of my hand that is on the handle. That part really just guides the blade during the strokes. And the flared shape gives me more freedom of movement for my wrist on most shots (all I can think of) and more leverage when I want to use the shape of the flare to help move the blade tangentially.

In the end, the most important thing, really, is what feels good in your hand though. And for everyone, that is different.

For instance, I think part of the reason Timo Boll uses a straight handle is that it makes it easier to make big grip changes like the way he changes from FH to BH.

However, I change my grip from shot to shot and it always works well for me to do that with a flared handle.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Some thoughts.

When I first started, the first time, back in 1991, I accidentally got a blade with an Anatomic handle and loved it. Then I got a different blade that had a flared handle and didn’t like the flared handle as much. So I got the same blade a second time but with an Anatomic handle.

Back then I held the racket a bit like a club and really held with the fingers that are on the handle. So the Anatomic handle fit better in my hand because it is thicker where the palm is.

Which is exactly why, these days, I like a flare. The handle being thinner where you are actually holding allows me to use more wrist. And the flared shape actually allows me to use that shape for leverage on shots that use more wrist as the blade moves tangentially. (Credits to PNut for the word tangential). [emoji2]

Everyone feels things differently. And I could use anything because I am not really holding with the part of my hand that is on the handle. That part really just guides the blade during the strokes. And the flared shape gives me more freedom of movement for my wrist on most shots (all I can think of) and more leverage when I want to use the shape of the flare to help move the blade tangentially.

In the end, the most important thing, really, is what feels good in your hand though. And for everyone, that is different.

For instance, I think part of the reason Timo Boll uses a straight handle is that it makes it easier to make big grip changes like the way he changes from FH to BH.

However, I change my grip from shot to shot and it always works well for me to do that with a flared handle.

The whole CNT does grip switches and I believe Dima does too. Not sure if Dima uses a flare but the whole CNT does.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Flared with an overgrip. I actually experimented quite a bit. Always come back to this.

This user has no status.
After using ST for awhile, I like it better than FL. Then I switched to AN and like that better still. Then I switched back to FL and feels like long lost friend... Until I switch to ST again and so the circle goes...

My beef is not so much as different between AN-FL-ST, but more like I dislike and like some FL compared to other FL, some ST compared to other ST, and same goes with AN.

says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
I liked ST from the childhood, mostly beause I just used to it... but I recently bought Apolonia ZLC FL and it's actually quite fine fit for me... tried Viscaria FL of a friend, not liked how it fit in my hand... so, I guess, the FL handle of Apolonia is fine for me mostly because it's thin, compared to most FL handles of other blades, so Apolonia is kinda exeption, overall I still prefer ST handles (but for now playing with Apolonia ZLC FL for a half a year already ;) )

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ok, here is the thing. I recently switched from FL to ST handle. Primarily because I felt that it feels nice to hold and in general was more comfortable. However, when I swing it, it does seems sometimes that it would fly away. Anyhow, It has never been the case so far that the racket flew away from my hand. I agree and it has been already mentioned that the pressure is always applied from the thumb and the index finger. Whether the racket handle is suitable/not suitable or would fly away or not, these kind of questions will be self answered when I use it for at least 6 months. So presently, I am just parking these doubts of mine somewhere and just practicing and enjoying the crisp feeling of koto wood with ALC on my ZJK ALC ST.

Cheers,
KM1976

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That sounds kinda funny. No disrespect here! I used straight handle some long time ago, but never felt that way..

This is how it is. Everyone has different feeling in their hands and different size and shape hands.

Reactions: yoass and Suga D