Who has the best FH in Europe?

Who do you think has the best FH?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
says I’ll make the payment as soon as posible (tomorrow)
says I’ll make the payment as soon as posible (tomorrow)
May 2018
Agree Kristian Karlsson or Dorian Zheng

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I like technique so i appreciate good form, But i feel that are a big difference between having a really good forehand and a good forehand form-wise. What matter is the quality of the shot you produce and how much you benefit and win from the shot. So actually the technique Do not matter in my opinion if you get a high quality shot, But it is proably easier to get a shot with high quality with good technique and somewhat more easy for the eyes.

Which is why I vote for Shibaev. The best forehands are effective against choppers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Shibaev and... Falck? Okay, maybe scratch the latter since he lost to a chopper yesterday.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Apparently a SP thing, diffuculties agains choppers.

I agree. I use short pimples on the forehand. With short pimples we want to smash the ball and kill it. Against low balls we can not do this and even more against low backspin balls. The short pimple also have less grip compared to inverted. So we can not play hard or get much spin against low backspin balls, and basically we can not do very much compared to inverted that can loop hard or/and with more spin against these balls. So low backspin balls is the worst balls for short pimple players, and against defenders, especially push blockers we get these balls alot.

If i play a pushblocker i have big troubles. Really does not matter if i am way better, my main weapon is somewhat gone. If i try to play offensive against them it ends up that i just miss alot because i try to smash these low backspin balls. My tactics is to do basically nothing so they not get much to play with, block alot and play more against an inverted. I also try to do backspin and kill the nospin ball but these is also somewhat low. I proably have a bigger shot at victory with two inverted if i want to play offensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I agree. I use short pimples on the forehand. With short pimples we want to smash the ball and kill it. Against low balls we can not do this and even more against low backspin balls. The short pimple also have less grip compared to inverted. So we can not play hard or get much spin against low backspin balls, and basically we can not do very much compared to inverted that can loop hard or/and with more spin against these balls. So low backspin balls is the worst balls for short pimple players, and against defenders, especially push blockers we get these balls alot.

If i play a pushblocker i have big troubles. Really does not matter if i am way better, my main weapon is somewhat gone. If i try to play offensive against them it ends up that i just miss alot because i try to smash these low backspin balls. My tactics is to do basically nothing so they not get much to play with, block alot and play more against an inverted. I also try to do backspin and kill the nospin ball but these is also somewhat low. I proably have a bigger shot at victory with two inverted if i want to play offensive.

You may want to watch some videos of Jiaqi Zheng of USA, she plays Rpb, sp on 4h inverted on backhand. She has beaten the top USA male choppers. She doesn't have a problem with them.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You may want to watch some videos of Jiaqi Zheng of USA, she plays Rpb, sp on 4h inverted on backhand. She has beaten the top USA male choppers. She doesn't have a problem with them.

Okay, will do! Always fun with players with short pimple on the forehand. Not many out there.

I am much better against choppers since i have trained alot with a chopper. Compared to pushblockers the ball will come high sometime and i can smash. But pushblockers are in my opinion much better to keep the ball low over the net all the time so have a harder time against them. Do you know if she plays any pushblocker?

I think it goes both ways to, choppers of all kind want spin to get use of their rubber, but against short pimple players they do not get much effect so i do not think they like playing them much either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Jiaqi is not active now, a coach now for Ching I Cheng of Taipei who plays on the world tour.

I have never seen any videos of her playing a push blocker.

I have a paddle set up with sp on 4h long pips on bh. I have trouble playing another push blocker with my 4h since I have less control than my 4h using inverted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Probably also has to do with whether the association a player belongs to has world-class choppers to train with? Ito Mima uses SP too (only for her backhand though) and seems to have little trouble with defenders, partly due to the presence of her Japanese colleagues like Sato Hitomi and Hashimoto Honoka.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yeah, of course But Falck have Tried allt with akerström But have still much problem with him and other choppers. And akerstrom play at a high level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Have you considered using double inverted specifically against those players?

No, i do not think it is wise to change racket depending who you are playing against. I often win against pushblockers if i play soft and passive, but it is not so fun to win this way haha. I think i could try to play more backhand against them, because i have the inverted there but i do not know if my backhand is strong enough. I also think i could become better at attacking the nospin ball i get when i push backspin against their long pimple.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I like technique so i appreciate good form, But i feel that are a big difference between having a really good forehand and a good forehand form-wise. What matter is the quality of the shot you produce and how much you benefit and win from the shot. So actually the technique Do not matter in my opinion if you get a high quality shot, But it is proably easier to get a shot with high quality with good technique and somewhat more easy for the eyes.

If this was true he wouldn't be where he is.
To see if I've been hallucinating since 2016, I spent a night looking up some stats.

In 2018, of the 14 Europeans who managed to beat CNT players, only 4 accumulated more than 1 win. They're Falck, Pitchford, Skachkov and Dyjas(see stats below). At German Open, Dyjas took out FB and took 2 games off of XX, two FH-dominated players. Dyjas actually held his own in FH rallies, to the surprise of the Chinese media and general public.

At the Polish Open in 2015, ML said this in an interview with the local media.
  记者:你如何评价波兰的乒乓球运动员?

马龙:我和王增羿、丹尼尔•格拉克都交过手,后者我还输过一次(2006年)。我很喜欢迪亚斯(本届波兰公开赛U21男单冠军)的球,他是个很有潜力的运动员。
Journalist: How do you rate Polish players?
ML: I have played Wang Zengyi and Daniel Gorak, and I lost to the latter once(2006). I like Dyjas's game a lot(U21 Champ at this Polish Open). He's a very promising player.

Dyjas VS Xue Fei, nothing on Youtube

------------------------
2018 World Tour Platinum
------------------------
Qatar Open
MS Group
Xue Fei 3-4 Pitchford
LDS 3-4 Mattias Karlsson
MS Prelim
WCQ 2-4 Apolonia

Gman Open
Group
YZY 3-4 Gacina
Prelim
FB 0-4 Dyjas

China Open
Prelim
FB 1-4 LYJ
Xu Haidong 3-4 Jon Persson
Xue Fei 0-4 JWJ
Zhou Qihao 2-4 Kou Lei
YA 1-4 Ho Kwan Kit
Main
ZJK 0-4 Harimoto
XX 1-4 Lim Jonghoon

Korean Open
Group
Zhou Qihao 2-4 Jeong Sangeun
Xue Fei 2-4 Mizuki Oikawa
Prelim
YA 1-4 Jeong Sangeun
FB 2-4 Can Akkuzu
Zhou Kai 2-4 An Ji Song
Main
XX 1-4 JWJ
LJK 0-4 JWJ

Australian Open
Main
ZY 2-4 Harimoto

Austrian Open
Prelim
Zhou Kai 1-4 Matsu-Ken
WCQ 1-4 Gnanasekaran
Xue Fei 2-4 CCA
Main
Zhou Qihao 2-4 Niwa
LGY 2-4 Kazuhiro Yoshimura
Zheng Peifeng 2-4 Boll

----------
World Tour
----------
Hungarian Open
Group
YZY 3-4 Gassimenko

Hong Kong Open
Prelim
ZY 3-4 Lim Jonghoon
Main
Zhou Qihao 2-4 Cho Seungmin
ZJK 3-4 Maharu Yoshimura
Zhu Linfeng 3-4 LSS

Japan Open
Prelim
LDS 2-4 Benedikt Duda
YZY 3-4 Jeoung Youngsik
Main
Zhou Kai 1-4 Mattias Karlsson
ZY 0-4 Harimoto
ML 2-4 Harimoto
ZJK 3-4 Harimoto

Bulgarian Open
Group
Zhu Linfeng 2-4 Bojan Tokic
Prelim
Zhao Zihao 3-4 LYJ
Main
Zheng Peifeng 3-4 Matsu-Ken
ML 3-4 Pitchford

Czech Open
Prelim
Xu Chenhao 2-4 Skachkov
Xu Haidong 3-4 Skachkov
Xia Yizheng 0-4 Fegerl
Ma Te 3-4 Taku Takakiwa
Main
Zhang Yudong 3-4 Pitchford

Swedish Open
Prelim
YZY 1-4 CCA
Zhou Kai 1-4 Shibaev
Xue Fei 2-4 Dyjas
WCQ 2-4 JWJ
Main
LGY 2-4 Mattias Falck

------------
Grand Finals
------------
Main
LGY 1-4 Harimoto
LJK 2-4 Mizutani
FZD 2-4 Calderano

Europeans, Wins/Total(Majors Included), World Ranking(2/2019), Europe Ranking
Boll, 1/5(7), 5, 1
Falck, 3/6(7), 13, 2
Pitchford, 3/5(6), 17, 5
Apolonia, 1/3, 41, 16
Duda, 1/5(6), 42, 17
Kou Lei, 1/2, 47, 19
Tokic, 1/2, 53, 22
Skachkov, 2/5, 54, 23
Jon Persson, 1/4(5), 61, 27
Gacina, 1/1, 62, 28
Fegerl, 1/2(3), 64, 29
Dyjas, 2/4, 69, 31
Can Akkuzu, 1/3, 73, 35
Shibaev, 1/1, 75, 36

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2015
What are we considering "best"? Are we saying just the FH of the highest rated player or textbook form? Because looking at the votes, Timo's FH is not very fundamental. I think Simon Gauzy's is way more technically sound - quick arm snap, efficient movement, ends right by his temple.

Timo's by contrast is very brushy and upwards moving while he rotates his torso to generate forward movement.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What are we considering "best"? Are we saying just the FH of the highest rated player or textbook form? Because looking at the votes, Timo's FH is not very fundamental. I think Simon Gauzy's is way more technically sound - quick arm snap, efficient movement, ends right by his temple.

Timo's by contrast is very brushy and upwards moving while he rotates his torso to generate forward movement.

Who says the textbook form is the best forehand if someone can get a better quality shot with another form? The textbook itself is continually refined by those looking to innovate at the highest levels.

While Timo has a spin based forehand (which he has changed a little for the plastic ball) the idea he loops upward giving how low he stands and how low he finishes is odd. Everyone plays forehand with the torso, not just Timo.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Interview with Dyjas from last October. Interesting comment on his own BH, and how he's now the eldest on the team.

Dyjas: I need to get used to the role of the Polish national team leader

- There is little representation in the world, in which less than 23-year-old is the oldest player. I think I need more performances and more experience. In the future, I would like to be one of the only ones that goes out and gets two points for the team - says Jakub Dyjas.

WOJCIECH OSIŃSKI: In the European Championships in Alicante, you competed as a bronze medalist from two years ago in the single, and meanwhile now he was eliminated in the first round with the average Diogo Carvalho. What happened?

JAKUB DYJAS: I was wondering about it the whole next day and I could not answer that question myself. Before the match in the warm-up, I felt good, there was no stress. The delay of this game also did not affect me. Just after the first few balls I suddenly felt like I had forgotten how to play ping-pong. I was not able to briefly serve. For the first time in my life this happened to me and I hope that the last one. I treated it as an accident at work and I am not going back to this failure.

Such a fast end of the championship is probably a big surprise for you, because this time the holiday preparation went rather well?

JAKUB DYJAS: Yes, I've trained in two weeks in China and Croatia. In Asia I did not have contact with trainers, I had to plan and give classes myself. Once in two or three years, it's worth going to workouts somewhere else, working out yourself, thinking about a few things. So far the start-up policy was planned by the club manager, now I'm doing it myself. I came back from China as a more professional player. I train more consciously.

It is said that to achieve success in table tennis, one must give one hundred percent to this sport. The Lord is already giving you 100 percent of it?

JAKUB DYJAS: To be honest, not yet. The football player Robert Lewandowski is a model of professionalism for me. I'm not such a professional yet. I do not put away food containing gluten, but for example, I used to go to McDonalds quite often, but not at all quite often. It's the same with Coke. I pay attention to what I eat, I started to drink soy milk, I care for myself. I used to visit a physiotherapist, when something hurt me, now I do it prophylactically according to the principle that prevention is better than cure.

Before this season, there were some changes in your club. First of all, the coach - Dmitry Mazunov replaced Dubravko Skorić. Did you feel this castling?

JAKUB DYJAS: A bit sure, but Skorić - although he is no longer the main trainer - still remains in our training group and I still work with him. In total, we have four trainers. It has changed that now Mazunow is sitting on the bench during the match, and he, due to his serious career, feels better than Skorić, who in turn is perfect during training. He is a true master of perfectionism.

Once you were famous for a perfect attack on the backhand. I have the impression that recently I see this play much less often with you, and if you do, you often spoil it.

JAKUB DYJAS: This is partly because rivals already know me and do not play a ball that is suitable for such an attack. And when the ball will go deeper into the backhand, I'm surprised and I miss it. In fact, with this backside it was so, that as I felt good, I fired the bombs one after the other, but when I did not have a good day, it did not look that good. I lost three or four balls and lost the sets to 7, 8. So if I was looking for a different solution then I could win. I noticed that matches can also be won in a different way than with beautiful strokes. I try to avoid simple mistakes in the initial phase of the action. Although I admit that in longer exchanges I still feel good and I win about 70 percent of them.

When before the Bundesliga season I saw the team of Liebherr Ochsenhausen, Jakub Dyjas was theoretically the weakest of the five players. Did not you worry about the place in the warehouse?

JAKUB DYJAS: Ranking does not play. However, I admit that I was afraid that I would be less than last season, especially that this year we did not go to the Champions League. I knew, however, that if I trained well, I would get a chance, because no coach would be guided when choosing the composition of our places in the world ranking. I got a chance in two Bundesliga matches and won everything in them - three singles and doubles, so I gave a signal that it is worth putting on me. And as for the world ranking - I definitely have to play tournaments more often. I want to climb up, recently I was in the ninth decade, now I'm in the 62nd position. By the end of this season, I'm going to be among the 30 best singles in the world.

In the club, the pressure of the result looks a bit different than in the national team, in which you are the clear leader. Have you got used to this role already?

JAKUB DYJAS: Not quite and I have to get used to it, because my status in the team has changed quite abruptly. There is little representation in the world, in which less than 23-year-old is the oldest player. I think I need more performances and more experience. In the future, I would like to be one of those, which goes out and gets two points for the team.

This issue is very important in the context of the fight for promotion of the Polish male team to the Olympic Games in Tokyo. How do you see the odds?

JAKUB DYJAS: We do not have much time to prepare a team. At the moment I can say that we can afford a surprise and promotion, but we certainly will not be the favorite, because there are many teams stronger than us, not only in the world, but in Europe.

You have been playing in Germany for five years, Patryk Zatówka left this summer, and 16-year-old Samuel Kulczycki will do it next year. Is it a good career development path?

JAKUB DYJAS: In the case of Patryk and Samuel, it will turn out. I can say that I am very happy with my decision and if I had to choose again, I would do the same. In Poland, it is difficult to find a place with a large number of trainers and sparring partners, which is why groups in Germany are very popular.

Have you heard about Ping-pong National PGE?

JAKUB DYJAS: Yes, I really wanted to come, but I could not because we had matches on August 31 and September 2. I saw how it looks and I liked it a great idea. In Germany, nothing has been organized, there are similar events, but on a much smaller scale, clubbing, in smaller centers. For example, our league match against Borussia Düsseldorf, or team Timo Bolla, we have to play in a large hall in Munich at 10,000. viewers.

Despite all these trips, matches and trainings, you have also recently found time for engagement.

JAKUB DYJAS: That's right. I thought about it before to propose to Marta, but I wanted to do it in some special place. During the summer I was playing World Tournament in Australia and I thought that the beach would be a good place for such an event. Marta was surprised, although she probably expected that something like that would happen soon. I felt a light stress, but she said yes.

How do you live in Germany?

JAKUB DYJAS: It's getting easier as the years go by. In our small community everyone knows each other, it is peaceful. We will definitely stay until 2020, and then what we will see next. However, I can not imagine living outside Poland for good. Both my and Marty's favorite place is Gdańsk and we want to live there permanently.

And then his goal to reach WR20 in 2019?

The Polish Champion in table tennis Jakub Dyjas from the World Tour in Budapest international starts in 2019 begins. - In the first half-year I would like to appear in six high-ranking tournaments, and the goal for this season is to reach the "20" world ranking - he said.
In 2016, just in Budapest, although in a different hall, I won the bronze medal of the European championships, and this year in the city there will be individual world championships. In the first half year I would like to take part in the World Tour competition in Qatar at the end of March, and at the turn of May and June I will again go to Asia. There are plans to start in two of three events that will take place in China, Japan and Hong Kong. I am very keen on the later European Games in Minsk, where I will fight for promotion to the Tokyo Games. The condition for his acquisition is the place on the podium - said Dyjas.
- I confirmed that after the Christmas and New Year's break I remained in good shape and played on a good level. Now I would like to present an effective table tennis in the tournament in Budapest. I try to prepare myself to every game, I go in small steps, although I have long-term goals. One of them is to reach the top twenty in the world by the end of the year - said the 23-year-old pingpong player, currently 68th on the ITTF list. In turn, Badowski, the second of the Poles in the ranking, is 149.

Last edited: