New Butterfly robot Amicus PRO

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
This thread makes me wish the manufacturers would take a giant leap forward with their controllers. We live in a networked world now, think about the possibilities of a digital IT network capable robot controller:

Download pre-programmed drill sequences from the manufacturers website.
(e.g. Want to do Falkenberg drill - just download it, etc etc)
Use an i-Pad or i-phone or Android App to programme and control your robot via wifi.
Share your favourite drill sequences with your mates - just email the drill definition as a file.
Have your coach send you a new drill over the Internet.
Have your robot simulate a particular player - Timo Boll topspin, Ma Long's Serve etc.
Incorporate or attach a webcam to the robot head to video and share your strokes and performance.
Optional integration with some sort of pressure pad sensor to sense your footwork/movement.
Associate and play an instructional or motivational sound file with a drill sequence.
Participate in an Internet league table - how long can do this drill for before you drop.
Provide ball counting functionality - how many balls have you faced this week, month, year - how many topspin, backspin - how many falkenberg etc etc.

What do you think folks ? what do you think Butterfly ?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2013
Hi, I've read all the topics related to Amicus. I got the Robopong 2050 last year and I am very happy but it is true that the bounce is not real overall backspin. It is very useful for footwork. There are a lot the exercises salved.
Now I am thinking to buy Amicus but I have some questions. it is very important the portability because I have to set it every day I want to train. The other question is about to buy basic, advance or professional, according what I read you can buy the panel control basic and then to buy advance or professional, what about the price difference buying of this way?.
The panel control professional has 99 exercises salved this mean that come done or you have to record.
In addition I would like your experience with this robot and in relation others. It is very expensive and I don't like to be wrong.
What about the assembly, the weight and the measures.
Thank a lot for your help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Hi everyone,

I have just purchased the amicus advance. Would have got the professional but I did not want to wait 2 weeks ;)
Still going through testing/fun phase at the moment.
just to say that setup was a breeze and the whole unit is light enough that makes it manageable for most people.
I got Velcro tabs with peel off type tape that are meant to be stuck to the corners of the table so that the net on both corners of the table will be secured. I don't like the idea of taping anything to a surface of an expensive table for the fear of peel off of paint...etc. I did not use them as the catch net stays in place well enough on its own.
After turning on the power it makes a few clicking sounds momentarily that the instructions say is the machine self testing itself. But there is this slight and constant ringing when the machine is on and idle that I wonder if it is normal and wanted some feedback here from other users of this product whether that is normal? One does not here the ringing during play but only when idle. I am used to it as it is not annoyingly loud but more concerned is all. Can anybody verify the ringing with there machine?

Regards.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Hi there,

I'll reply to my own post and say that the ringing sound of the robot when idle is normal and gets louder when the motors start spinning which is also normal. The sounds are quickly ignored because I am too busy focusing on the ball.
This is an old thread because reading what users are saying about what the amicus can and cannot do is a description of what I am pretty sure of are past generations of this robot! I purchased an amicus advance last week and it can place a ball in one direction with any type of spin/speed then serve the next in another direction with a different type of spin/speed and so on up to 6 balls total per drill. The AFC(auto frequency control) will simulate lifelike rallies by delaying a ball thrown if the previous ball was placed short for example.
What I find most useful with using a robot is just doing a simple drill and getting used to placing the ball where I want it to go on a regular basis. This gives me a feeling of better ball control and if I wanted to vary the type of balls thrown and not know where the next ball will go there is a RND (random) button for this.

i think if you can afford one and have a family like myself so don't have the time to get out to the club to train then you should get one and if you can't afford one then do whatever it takes to be able to get one.

regards.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
work out with my amicus pro / power pong 3000

hey guys,

i just recently bought the amicus pro / power pong 3000 bot

i tell you it is a great machine !

i put a video of some of the routines i work with..
Power Pong 3000 / Amicus Pro robot
Training Session with CT Pham

Clip 1
1st -Serve - short right with back spin
2nd - back spin to back hand
3rd - top spin to back hand
4rth - top spin to forehand

for in and out, and turn corner to develop
forehand dominate play

Clip 2
1st ball - back spin to back hand corner
2nd ball - top spin to back hand corner

focus on foot work and keeping forehand
stroke short so recovery is faster

Clip 3
Forehand attack against chopper
1st ball - back spin to back hand
2nd ball - back spin to fore hand
3rd ball - back spin to fore hand
last ball - top spin to fore hand for put away

focus on staying low, and controlled loops

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
I'm thinking about upgrade my Amicus pro to Advance or Professional, but it's a bit expensive and I have some questions about Advance/Professional:
- How good are drills that start with a serve?
- The Amicus Professional now has a Mini USB port. Are htere updates or new features coming?
- Has anyone testetd the Amicus with the new Polyballs?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I am trying to figure out which technology does the job better: for a while to alternate between topspin and underspin, the go-to solution has been to use 2 separate heads. And that works well.

Now comes Amicus equipped with 3 wheels. I can see this helping with the sidespin, but can it actually quickly alternate between topspin and underspin as well or close to what 2 independent heads with 2 wheels each can achieve?