new Blade because of wrist problems

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Hello,

i have a problem.
I have wrist problems xD

I already visited a doc but yeah nothing found.

So i thought about a light blade, i thought balsa.

I had 2 thinks in mind, first is a thick balsa blade with classic soft rubber or the second is a balsa carbon blade with a rather thin core like the donic balsa carbo fibre with soft rubbers like vega europe or blluefire m3.

what do you think?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I think balsa feels like crap and soft rubbers make it even worse. But that's jsut preferences.

How much is your current set up? How much do you need to cut down?

Probably easier to sand your current blade smaller.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
i have a stiga def pro with long pips. This is okay from the weight but i want to play offensive not defence. I also have a Infinity with m3 on both sides. The blade has 88g but i dont want to sand something down, i want to keep the blade in original shape.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2013
Read 5 reviews
I have had pretty nasty wrist issues myself. I played for years with balsa blades Tibhar Balsa sgs was the best I tried. I happened to try Maze alc 86g and realized that for me the main issue wasn’t the weight of the blade but weight distribution of the blade. So if I were you I would start with the blade wich is not head heavy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I have had pretty nasty wrist issues myself. I played for years with balsa blades Tibhar Balsa sgs was the best I tried. I happened to try Maze alc 86g and realized that for me the main issue wasn’t the weight of the blade but weight distribution of the blade. So if I were you I would start with the blade wich is not head heavy.
Maybe trying coin and handle wrap would prove useful too, no?

Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Well i played all the time with flare. Only for the defence blade i play with flare because of twiddeling but yeah it is anyoing i cant play 2 sides topspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Defensive blades are oversized. But considering you have long pips on one side, you probably won't have much luck getting a lower weight with 2 inverted...no matter what you choose.

I still recommend sanding down. 2mm all around will save you at least 4-5g, and another ~5g from the rubbers.

Or maybe just exercise that wrist more. With proper grip and technique, anything under 200g shouldn't feel excessive.

Cheers.

says Aging is a killer
DrLevi Harrison#Fitness #Health #Gaming #gamers doctor

Agree that fixing the wrist is the solution. This video was recommended here by a fellow poster here on TTD several years ago and it has helped me immensely. You don't have to go the full hog with weights every time. Just do these exercises as part of your pre-TT warm-up.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is a radical idea, dont use wrist for a good while, get yourself some sort of wrist wrap and just play. It will be good for your technique and will force you to correct it.

I think this may be the most important issue. Learning to play while keeping wrist neutral and stable.

And then the other thing would be to ADD weight to the handle so the blade is HANDLE HEAVY.

Can someone link to one of the threads about adding weight to the handle: what Der_Echte calls “Beast Mod”. It is surprising how adding weight to the handle takes a lot of stress off your wrist.

But if you hook your wrist while you play, it that is a habit, it may be a habit you need to unlearn.

Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
the main issue wasn’t the weight of the blade but weight distribution of the blade.

Good point, and often overlooked.

Everything else is also true, bigger heads need bigger rubbers, lighter rubbers can save effectively - but I just recently have compared two set ups with 195 grams each. One was a head heavy blade at 88 grams, with thicker glue layers on the rubbers. The other blade weighs 95 and has fresh rubbers on it.

You´d think the one with the 95 gram blade was way lighter, and it is much easier to accelerate and handle.

195 grams is still a bit heavy overall, so this blade is not ideal, and I will go for a lighter blade soon. But I will sure watch the balance, not only the weight.

This user has no status.
I think this may be the most important issue. Learning to play while keeping wrist neutral and stable.

And then the other thing would be to ADD weight to the handle so the blade is HANDLE HEAVY.

Can someone link to one of the threads about adding weight to the handle: what Der_Echte calls “Beast Mod”. It is surprising how adding weight to the handle takes a lot of stress off your wrist.

But if you hook your wrist while you play, it that is a habit, it may be a habit you need to unlearn.

Agreed with Carl (and with the prior poster about taking a break too)! I had bad wrist issues and also went down the same path as OP. Tried to find a blade that was lighter. Turns out all of that was a distraction and delayed a long-term solution.

Nothing helped other than giving the wrist a break for months (until pain was gone) and then changing my stroke to be less wrist (and more neutral / stable). If you change your equipment, but don't address the underlying issue, it'll come back!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
Donic black devil with vega europe, elite or victas v15 limber would be a feather light combo.