DHS Plastic/Poly Ball Review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
What I think about this ball is that will change a little bit the way we play but not much, I mean, before I try this ball I was pretty concerned about the changes that would imply (I'm a little old and I suffer the 38-40 transition and that was a huge change) From my point of view there are two key factors:

- The material, evidently. DHS ball have a good sound and texture... I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't notice the change if you don't tell him. But it's clearly softer, all the plastic balls I tested, DHS Xushaofa and Palio where slower, bounce less, and wich is more important, they have a poor durability... I'm strongly convinced since now it's gonna be very difficult to end a 7 set match with the same ball.
- The size. It's clearly bigger, and I think this changes the ball dinamic even more than the material.

I have play with polyball just three sessions but what I find is the ball slows quickly, and it's more difficult to spin it. I also find the hit strokes are now more reliable but topspin tends to have a flat trajectory.

If I had to sum up in a headline i would say: "Gravity is going to replace some spin" and to be honest I think this is what ITTF was looking for. We going to have more predictible trajectories, predictible paddle reactions, people playing near the table, and for sure longer rallies. Nevertheless, if people thinks that this is a "no spin ball" they are wrong, I notice services seems to be keep effectiveness with this ball.

Well that's my opinion... I guess I should add all this text to the video :)

Reactions: TTHopeful and Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Here is another DHS 40 3 star Polyball taken from another forum (datangtt).

The review compared the new DHS polyball with Nittaku's celluloid 3 star ball.

During the free fall test the review found a 1cm difference on the first bounce, and the Nittaku ball bounced a total of 5-5 times more than the poly DHS ball.

The review summarized that 'borrowing pace and spin are doomed'.

The reviewer played with 6 different DHS balls on the night and found this:

1. The sound is not as nice as the celluloid ball, the broken sound is there but acceptable.
2. The Timo Boll Spirit ALC blade turns from a powerful blade into a blade with great control. Found it hard to finish opponent off when had opportunity to attack.
3. Longer rallies. Found it easier to put a first attack in with high accuracy in the short game or open up game. To win the point you have to commit for a winner of go for placement.
4. An overall reduction in spin, speed and power, especially the last two. Spin is pretty decent!
5. Not as much dip on fast loop. The ratio of vertical kick is greater.
6. Amateurs may be forced to use composite blades.
7. Ball more suited for players still acquiring the basics.

dhs1.jpg

dhs2.jpg

dhs3.jpg

dhs4.jpg

dhs5.jpg

dhs6.jpg

dhs7.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
I've got a set of these on the way. I am not too optimistic about the change, but I feel obligated to get used to the new balls since they are coming whether we like it or not. I really hope I can't notice too much difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
I've got a set of these on the way. I am not too optimistic about the change, but I feel obligated to get used to the new balls since they are coming whether we like it or not. I really hope I can't notice too much difference.
Yes I think many pros will start practising with the new ball now. When you have received the balls let us know how you find them here. Which balls did you order?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
and wich is more important, they have a poor durability... I'm strongly convinced since now it's gonna be very difficult to end a 7 set match with the same ball.

Mitz posted this and the ball I tried broke too. The one I tried wasn't mine so I'd have to ask him how much has he played with it before. But I'm not sure so don't take my word for granted :/