Training

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi everyone. Sorry for writing what is probably going to turn into an essay, but I think the topic is an important issue that you will all have something to add to.

I am a 13 year old in New York City. I have played table tennis for 1 year and 2 months, and am now 1600. I think there is a big problem for table tennis in the United States, but we see players climbing up the junior world rankings. We even have players in the top 10 cadet boys and girls.

Being a junior trying to improve as quickly as possible for my situation, I have thought a lot about what I need to be able to do that. Here is what I came up with:

1. A coach to correct your form, to push you, and to figure out what drills you need to improve
    1. When I ask someone to coach me in tournaments I learn so much more and play better tactics, but that is not exactly about improvement
  2. Training partners, to do drills with and to push each other
  3. League or ladder, to have match experience, and to be pushed—seeing other people getting better in your division.
  4. Other juniors—so that you are pushed by them and so that you have match experience with the kinds of people you will play in important events
  5. Regional tournaments, mostly for experience
  6. A home club, where you will feel like people are rooting for you.

Now let’s see what I in particular have out of that list:

1. I have coaching, and I am very satisfied with my coach, but it is very expensive and that is a limiting factor
    1. I am lucky if someone coaches me in a tournament I’m in
  2. I have one or two people that like to train, but when we are doing multiball or serve and attack or other things like that, people call winner and we are forced to play a match
  3. There is a league, but there are not enough juniors in my club to make a cadet team. I may have to go with a rating division.
  4. There are two other juniors at my club. One is a 17 year old girl who is about my level, but only plays for about 2 hours once a week. The other one is a 13 year old boy, but he only comes for about 5 hours a week. Otherwise my club is filled with adults.
  5. I play in regional tournaments often.
  6. I definitely have a home club.

Most clubs are the same way, too. I have made it a project to go to every club in the city. Some clubs have juniors, but most are not at my level, and nobody really trains. They take lessons and then play matches. In fact, there are only 75 active (6 months from last tournament) cadet boys or girls in New York State, and only 25 of them are rated above 1000! Clearly there is not much development here. Which leads me to my questions:

1. How do you think the situation can be improved here?
I really don’t know. I think the clubs in the city need to reach out to people and try to attract them to the sport. It doesn’t just help the sport, it helps the club.

1. How do you think I can deal with the situation?
I bought a robo pong 1050 robot for 500 dollars, and I think it’s worth what I paid. I have also scheduled training sessions with people. The big problem is still finding people my age and my level, and I don’t know what I can do about that.

1. I can train over the summer, and it could possibly involve traveling.
I might make a separate thread about this, but over the summer I might have a chance to play abroad. I could go to one of lily yips training camps which are supposed to be very good, and save the nervousness of travelling far and of not speaking the language, as well as the cost of the flight, or I could go somewhere, if the things I mentioned are so much more prominent in China, or England, or Hungary. If the positives truly outweigh the negatives I might be able to go somewhere else. But maybe even going to ICC is a good idea. Anyway…

Thanks so much for reading this whole thing. I just started writing and, well, the result is above. I would really appreciate your answering these questions. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The biggest thing you need is a video camera. That will allow you to share your matches with other players and to review your own technique. Ultimately, you can't tell how well you are doing what the coach tells you unless you can see yourself. Get a camera and some spare batteries and a charger kit (you can use a tablet or smart phone as well as long as you trust the battery life and camera quality).

I would also recommend that you work extremely hard on your serves. That work tends to give the most bang for the buck compared to other things for most players at your level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
The biggest thing you need is a video camera. That will allow you to share your matches with other players and to review your own technique. Ultimately, you can't tell how well you are doing what the coach tells you unless you can see yourself. Get a camera and some spare batteries and a charger kit (you can use a tablet or smart phone as well as long as you trust the battery life and camera quality).

I would also recommend that you work extremely hard on your serves. That work tends to give the most bang for the buck compared to other things for most players at your level.

Thanks for that. I do record a lot of my matches and share them with people. I am reluctant to put them on here because then people could scout me out, but that might just be stupid. I think I will definitely start posting the drills I record on here.

I was watching a talk by Teddy Tran in which he talked about his training sessions. He serves an hour a day. I definitely understand your point there.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Ditto with what NL sez. I wouldn't worry about other players trying to scout you. You play in a lot of the same tourneys as they do, so they willscout you anyway. Even so, it will work to more quickly identify where you can be exploited in a match. You need to know that so you can figure out a way to counter that and overcome it with time, then it goes in another circle, but on a higher level.

I hear your concerns about USA Table Tennis and given our situation overall accross our nation (except for the few "Hotspots"), one would think it would be an accomplishment if anyone cracks 1500 level. (This is a very basic club mean average playing level)

I think seperate threads are good for that discusion.

Myself, I will be making such a thread soon and I will call it "Der_Echte's Dream"

Haha, that is a lot of "D"s and the title got a ring to it. That worthless BH-Man over at MyTT is gunna make a thread like that too.

I will talk about what I like and do not like about TT in our nation and what it will take to overcome it. I am not gunna be able to do a whole lot by my own lonesome to fix it all or improve it by leaps and bounds, but if I talk about right enough, loud enough, often enough, and in the right place, I may be able to interest some body(s) who are really charismatic joker(s) who will do a world difference and gather momentum of progress.

We have that going already in a lot of places and people, but you just haven't seen the results of it yet, but be sure, even from 2-3 years ago, right now is more positive, the results just haven't caught up yet.

I am just a joker with an A-hole and an opinion (Many opinions) but now that I have some kind of title (even in our company isn't setting sales records yet) I should be more into doing stuff, CHEERING, and leading and supporting as much as I can.

I hope Carl runs into you soon and hands over the Sparticus. Bring a large pry bar with you, you might need it to pry that suckers out of hiz sticky pawz. I think he really likes the blade a lot. If hiz pawz are too strong for the pry bar, it can be used to clock him upside his upsidedown head, Carl the man is one tough cookie, but he gotta have a weak spot somewhere, the pry bar will find it. The box with our jerseys and other stuff is still stuck in customs (in YOUR fine city haha) so we'll see how long that takes to unravel with government workers.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
And agold, do NOT worry about apologizing for writting an essay, a hundred essays, or being yourself. One can for a short time be focused, act, and conceal or change their character and ways, but time shows it all and it is good to jsut be yourself, which you are doing, I am just encouraging.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Thanks for that. I do record a lot of my matches and share them with people. I am reluctant to put them on here because then people could scout me out, but that might just be stupid. I think I will definitely start posting the drills I record on here.

I was watching a talk by Teddy Tran in which he talked about his training sessions. He serves an hour a day. I definitely understand your point there.
How many lessons have you received from your coach on how to serve? That might help make my point even clearer.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Agold,

You still young and I can see you are eager to improve a lot. But the reality is that "this problem" in every sporting code, you will have your Olympians and your Socials. You can not change or make all social environment to become a Olympic environment. It is equally important to have these social environment as it is important to have your olympic ones.
Take basketball for example, not all basketball courts have proper training and coaching, and not all basketball players want to train.

Of the points, one important fact that you didn't list is the players talent. ie - do you have the latent for investments (coaches or funding). Some players may not have the talent, but they can compensate it with extra hours of hard work.

Now if you are really serious about TT and you have the support from your parents and have talent - what you should do is move to a city where there is a top TT club with a proper junior program. This is the norm in all sporting codes and the case with table tennis - in both China and any where else in the world.
Waiting for some one to fix your environemnt will not work for you as a player, so I think the question is - are you willing to go someone else.

If you can't go to a Olypmic environement, then all you can do is what you are doing - self train, but focus on putting more hours in fundamental trainings - focusing on the baiscs.

1.2 years of table tennis is very little, for one to become good, they will need at least 3 to 5 years of fundamental training and to know what the basics really are and the importants of such foundation.

Sadly, your "own" approach will be different to a proper training academy, so don't expect to make Team USA, unless you are super talented and have an environment to develop

Zhang Jike would not be grand slam if his parents did not send him "out of town" for 80% of his life....

Nextlevel - never knew you joined TTD - welcome buddy

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Agold,

You still young and I can see you are eager to improve a lot. But the reality is that "this problem" in every sporting code, you will have your Olympians and your Socials. You can not change or make all social environment to become a Olympic environment. It is equally important to have these social environment as it is important to have your olympic ones.
Take basketball for example, not all basketball courts have proper training and coaching, and not all basketball players want to train.

Of the points, one important fact that you didn't list is the players talent. ie - do you have the latent for investments (coaches or funding). Some players may not have the talent, but they can compensate it with extra hours of hard work.

Now if you are really serious about TT and you have the support from your parents and have talent - what you should do is move to a city where there is a top TT club with a proper junior program. This is the norm in all sporting codes and the case with table tennis - in both China and any where else in the world.
Waiting for some one to fix your environemnt will not work for you as a player, so I think the question is - are you willing to go someone else.

If you can't go to a Olypmic environement, then all you can do is what you are doing - self train, but focus on putting more hours in fundamental trainings - focusing on the baiscs.

1.2 years of table tennis is very little, for one to become good, they will need at least 3 to 5 years of fundamental training and to know what the basics really are and the importants of such foundation.

Sadly, your "own" approach will be different to a proper training academy, so don't expect to make Team USA, unless you are super talented and have an environment to develop

Zhang Jike would not be grand slam if his parents did not send him "out of town" for 80% of his life

+1 very well said Tony
Abe be very patient it will take years of hard work to master diffrent skills with proper guidance. Never get tired of pushing yourself to your limits as you train, and never forget to humble yourself always.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk