What The Pro's Use - Discuss

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
This thread has been created so we know everything on what the professionals use! Such as what their equipment is, with questions and discussions! Also upload pictures of the pros using that rubber or blade just to confirm that we know they use that equipment. That's if you have these pictures:) if not no worries.

To make this happen just simply put

'The Players Name'
Blade
FH rubber
BH rubber
And Picture below if possible

I have done an example of the Chinese National Team members for everyone :)

Ma Long (CHN)
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Tenergy 64

Ma long recent blade.jpg

Wang Hao (CHN)
Hurricane Hao
FH: Skyline III Blue Sponge
BH: Unknown

Wang Hao 2.jpg

Xu Xin (CHN)
Offensive NCT
FH: Hurricane III Neo Orange Sponge
BH: Tenergy of some sort

xu xin blade 1.jpg

Chen Qi (CHN)
Michael Maze Off
FH: Hurricane III Neo Blue Sponge
BH: Tenergy of some kind

chen qi blade 4.jpg

Zhang Jike (CHN)
Viscaria FL
FH: H3 Neo Blue Sponge
BH: Tenergy 64

zhang jike blade ruber.jpg

MEN:

Boll, Timo (GER)
Timo Boll ALC
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Carneros, Alfredo (ESP)
Acoustic
Tenergy 05
Nianmor

Chen Qi (CHN)
Michael Maze Off
Hurricane III Neo Blue Sponge
Unknown Tenergy

Chih-Yuan, Chuang (TPE)
BTY Custom blade
Tenergy of some sort
Tenergy 64

Duran, Marc (ESP)
Korbel SK7
Tenergy 64
Tenergy 64

Hao Shuai (CHN)
Viscaria Light
H3 Neo Orange Sponge
Bryce Speed

Hoyama, Hugo (BRA)
Hasha Special (JPEN)
Pryde

Kreanga, Kalinikos (GRE)
Primorac Carbon with K.Kreanga off handle
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Legout, Christophe (FRA)
Timo Boll Spirit (with Legout handle)
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Ma Long (CHN)
Timo Boll Spirit
H3 Neo
Tenergy 64

Ma Lin (CHN)
Ma Lin Extra Offensive
Skyline II Blue sponge
Bryce Speed

Machado, Carlos (ESP)
Mazunov
Tenergy 64
Tenergy 64

Matsumoto, Cazuo (BRA)
Hasha Special (JPEN)
Tenergy 05

Maze, Michael (DEN)
Timo Boll Spirit
Bryce Speed
Bryce Speed

Mizutani, Jun (JPN)
Jun Mizutani ZLC
Tenergy 64
Tenergy 64

Monteiro, Joao (POR)
Michael Maze Off
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Monteiro, Thiago (BRA)
Hinotec OFF
Pilot Advance
Pilot Advance

Oh San Eun (KOR)
Oh Sang Eun
Tenergy 64
Tenergy 64

Ovtcharov, Dimitrij (GER)
Waldner Senso Carbon
Tenergy of some sort
Donic rubber of some sort

Panatagonis, Gionis (GRE)
Petr Korbel Off
Tenergy 05
Feint Long II

Persson, Jörgen (SWE)
Old Persson Powerplay
?
?

Samsonov, Vladimir (BLR)
Stratus Carbon
Something with purple sponge
Something with purple sponge

Schlager, Werner (AUT)
Primorac Carbon with Schlager carbon handle (91 g)
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Smirnov, Alexei (RUS)
Photino?
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Steger, Bastian (GER)
Korbel SK7
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Süss, Christian (GER)
Clipperlike blade with Andro handles
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Tsuboi, Gustavo (BRA)
SK7
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Wang Hao (CHN)
Hurricane Hao
Skyline III Blue Sponge
Sriver topsheet with some sort of white sponge

Wang Liqin (CHN)
TBS
Hurricane II Neo Blue Sponge
Hammond Pro Beta

Waldner, Jan-Ove (SWE)
Waldner Senso Carbon
JO Gold
JO Platin

Zhang Jike (CHN)
Viscaria FL
H3 Neo Blue Sponge
Tenergy 64

Xu Xin (CHN)
Rosewood
Hurricane III Neo Orange Sponge
Tenergy of some sort
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOMEN:

Boros, Tamara (HRV)
Korbel SK7 (FL)
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Dodean, Daniela (ROU)
Primorac Carbon (FL)
Tenergy 64
Tenergy 64

Gao Jun (USA)
Matsush*ta Pro CS
Butterfly Challenger Attack

Liu Shiwen (CHN)
Korbel (FL)
H3 Neo Blue Sponge
Tenergy 64

Pavlovich, Viktoria (BLR)
Defence Alpha
Tenergy 05 1,7 mm
Feint Long III

Stefanova, Nikoleta (ITA)
Korbel SK7 (FL)
Tenergy 05 2,1 mm
Tenergy 05 2,1 mm

Tie Yana (HKG)
Special Made
Tenergy 05 2,1 mm
Tenergy 05 2,1 mm

Toth, Krisztina (HUN)
Tenergy 64 2,1 mm
Tenergy 64 2,1 mm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
OK, this might be a total noob question, my understanding of paddles and rubber is pretty beginner, but is there a difference between the color of the sponge? like how several of the players listed use H3 Neo, but then have like blue sponge, orange sponge.

I went to train for like 5 days at this table tennis gallery in China, ( the owner had a pic of himself standing with an 18 year old Wang Liqin, which was cool ) and my dad bought me and my little cousin a paddle there based on the recommendations of the coach there, and while my paddle cost like roughly 100 dollars once you exchange it from yuan, and my little cousin's was like 10 dollars, he gave us the same rubber, saying the rubber isn't that huge of an impact, and most of the cost that makes a paddle expensive is because of the paddle itself, and how many carbon strips or whatever it has. So it has always been my general impression that while rubber is important, it not a huge game changer.

But like I said I have no real idea, some basic info would be great.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
OK, this might be a total noob question, my understanding of paddles and rubber is pretty beginner, but is there a difference between the color of the sponge? like how several of the players listed use H3 Neo, but then have like blue sponge, orange sponge.

I went to train for like 5 days at this table tennis gallery in China, ( the owner had a pic of himself standing with an 18 year old Wang Liqin, which was cool ) and my dad bought me and my little cousin a paddle there based on the recommendations of the coach there, and while my paddle cost like roughly 100 dollars once you exchange it from yuan, and my little cousin's was like 10 dollars, he gave us the same rubber, saying the rubber isn't that huge of an impact, and most of the cost that makes a paddle expensive is because of the paddle itself, and how many carbon strips or whatever it has. So it has always been my general impression that while rubber is important, it not a huge game changer.

But like I said I have no real idea, some basic info would be great.

Hey

Thats an interesting one!

I think both the rubber and the blade have an big effect... I practiced with a junior Chinese National team player for a year and he said how the blades make a very big difference. The way its made ect..

I have a good example... My friend had a normal Stiga blade that he bought in England... we put brand new Tenergy 05 on the blade... He got the exact same blade.. but this one was from the main Stiga supplier in Sweden that professional players get. We put brand new Tenergy o5 on this blade and there was such a huge difference!

However,,, this is that valid as to perhaps the Tenergy o5 on the Sweden blade was perhaps better then the Tenergy on the English Stiga blade who knows!

Back to the Chinese boy. He had some blades from china that he used... but because he was penhold i could use them :( but the blades were so good... his bat use to make a really loud and distinctive noise like Xu Xin or Ma Lins bat makes!

But who knows, its very difficult to understand how all this works but maybe there are other answers TTD members can give us here on this topic :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
What about the difference in sponge color? I assume its not just for the sake of which color you like, but that the color represents either difference in thickness or hard v soft.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
What about the difference in sponge color? I assume its not just for the sake of which color you like, but that the color represents either difference in thickness or hard v soft.

Yeh the national Hurricanes vary,, im not entirely sure how it works, but the Chinese team all use the blue sponge for the hurricane 3 neo. I remember watching Wang Liqin glue up his hurricane 3 at the World Championships in 2007 the rubber looked amazing! It was blue :p

I think also,, players change sponges around in china.. There are top sheets and sponges... So they can make there own custom rubber. So for example you could use a top sheet of hurricane 3 for it tackiness but have a bryce or tenergy sponge for its feel ect.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Timo Boll
Timo Boll ALC
FH:Tenergy 05
BH:Tenergy 05

timo boll blade and rubber.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hmmm, well despite them maybe switching different components around to make custom rubber, is there a general principle behind the difference between orange and blue rubber. Like one is harder? One is better for X, while the other is better for Y?

Like why does, Zhang Jike use blue, while Xu Xin uses orange, and Ma Long either uses Blue or Orange, don't know if you or BollForte is right

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hmmm, well despite them maybe switching different components around to make custom rubber, is there a general principle behind the difference between orange and blue rubber. Like one is harder? One is better for X, while the other is better for Y?

Like why does, Zhang Jike use blue, while Xu Xin uses orange, and Ma Long either uses Blue or Orange, don't know if you or BollForte is right

Yeh we need to get some pictures to confirm those Ma Long and Xu Xins rubbers:D But yeh im not to sure... but i think your right, most probs one is softer then the other... Because in the forehand side... some top players prefer a bit harder rubber and some prefer softer, im guessing thats the difference between them. Or that the tackiness is different.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Is there any point in arguing which color he uses, if atm we don't know what each color means, and how it affects his game?