2016 New Butterfly Freitas ALC and Apolonia ZLC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Butterfly just announced the release of 2 new blades coming approx. in May this year.

Butterfly Marcos Freitas ALC 5 + 2 ALC (probably similar to MM ALC)
Head size 157x150
Thickness 5.9mm
Weight approx. 90g

Freitas ALC.jpg

Find reviews on the Marcos Freitas ALC blade in the TTD Review Center here.

Butterfly Tiago Apolonia ZLC 5 + 2 ZLC (probably similar to Innerforce)
Head size 157x150
Thickness 5.6mm
Weight approx. 90g

Apolonia ZLC.jpg

Find reviews on the Tiago Apolonia ZLC blade in the TTD Review Center here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Cool. It will be nice to have a blade with the same plies as the Michael Maze back on the market. I know a bunch of people who wish they could buy a new Maze from Butterfly.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Yeah the blades are great looking too! You are right about the asking for a Limba outer ALC has been there for a while. I managed to get one MM ALC with the new logo before they were discontinued.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Butterfly Tiago Apolonia ZLC 5 + 2 ZLC (probably similar to Innerforce)
Head size 157x150
Thickness 5.6mm
Weight approx. 90g

View attachment 9097

Lookin' nice, but Giang are you sure about Innerforce?
Didn't Apolonia used to play the LSW?
That being said, i think it really could be a 'selected' version of the LSW...

Just a thought.

Reactions: Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Lookin' nice, but Giang are you sure about Innerforce?
Didn't Apolonia used to play the LSW?
That being said, i think it really could be a 'selected' version of the LSW...

Just a thought.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough... What I meant was Innerforce ZLC.
You are right about he played LSW which is like Innerforce ZLF, but looks like he needed more power and stiffness due to the polyball.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you think these will be better than lets say a Mizutani ZLC? Or the same wood?

I think Giang already answered this pretty well. The Freitas blade should be like the old Michael Maze blade and the Apolonia blade should be like an InnerForce ZLC. Almost exactly the same blades with slightly different colored handle and design.

So, will it be better than previous Butterfly blades. These will be pretty much the same as the ones mentioned. Not better or worse. Just rebranded with a different name, a different look and a slightly different handle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
I think Giang already answered this pretty well. The Freitas blade should be like the old Michael Maze blade and the Apolonia blade should be like an InnerForce ZLC. Almost exactly the same blades with slightly different colored handle and design.

So, will it be better than previous Butterfly blades. These will be pretty much the same as the ones mentioned. Not better or worse. Just rebranded with a different name, a different look and a slightly different handle.

If we have to go into details the Tiago Apolonia ZLC is 5.6mm thick and Innerforce ZLC is 5.7mm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
[Both blades are amazing, i would probably choose the Apolonia one, it has my country colors and also Tiago played in my home town Amadora i even got to see him evolve at his early years in Estela da Amadora.

unfortunately i doubt i have the skill to tame any of them] I was able to tame my Zhang Jike Super ZLC AND IM AN INTERMEDIATE PLAYER, IT JUST TAKES TIME. IM PRETTY SURE YOU CAN TAME IT IN 5 HOURS