Any tips on chopping?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
If you get your technique right, rubber shouldn't matter. I chop with tenergy 05 on both forehand and backhand (I'm a penholder), and although I find it very fast, they still land on the table. Make sure you're using full strokes, and that you have the right angle. Your contact needs to be very fast to provide only a short amount of time for the ball to be lifted by the topspin your opponent gave. If you have a fast rubber, you should make your stroke more vertical. For a slower ball, you can come forward and bit more and drag the ball with the chop. Take a look at a chopping tutorial to see the proper stroke, and watch pros for gesture and stance.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A few basic points...

When you give a ball to opponent, assume he will attack and be prepared to move.

Flex knees right before impact and get in los stance light feet.

Move to position and maintain balance during your shot to recover for next shot.

Adjust swing plane and blade angle for spin. More down for heavier topsin and faster blade speed for those fast balls.

Chopping isn't a long pimple thing, its down to your technique. To chop the ball, you require a full stroke, starting from head height and finishing at your knees. You need to incorporate your arm into the chop to get maximum spin on the ball. Angle is also important if you want to keep it low, if its a fast ball you need to make the chop more vertical. If its slow or beneath table height you need to make the angle more horizontal to get the ball over the net. Just get someone to feed you topspin serves and practice your chopping.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
A tip for chopping that someone told me (strategy-wise) was that when chopping, make sure you make the chops deep making the ball height really low. This will give heaps of trouble to the opponent to really lower themself/themselves to loop the ball. As said in the Pingskills tutorials above, make sure you start your racket level to your head and chop downward with a forward momentum for a ball that is slow and chop in a vertical motion for the fast balls.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of pimples, long or short, is to just reverse the spin? I played with a short pimpled opponent and each time he chopped with that side, I ended up looping it and it happened to go waaaaay out, like looping a topspin. Not sure, correct me if I'm wrong! XD

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of pimples, long or short, is to just reverse the spin? I played with a short pimpled opponent and each time he chopped with that side, I ended up looping it and it happened to go waaaaay out, like looping a topspin. Not sure, correct me if I'm wrong! XD

Yes I find that pimples can reverse the spin a lot more effectively than inverted rubbers. And looping a backspin ball that goes way off the table happens to me too, I think its because pimples can sometimes not reverse any spin at all and produce dead balls and other times it reverses the spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Yes I find that pimples can reverse the spin a lot more effectively than inverted rubbers. And looping a backspin ball that goes way off the table happens to me too, I think its because pimples can sometimes not reverse any spin at all and produce dead balls and other times it reverses the spin

I'm glad that you have had the same experience as me! (I feel like I'm being understood now! WOO!) It's quite difficult for me to adjust to playing against a pimple players since most players I've VSed players that have had inverted rubbers on both sides, to the point I'm used to it. xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Title says it, I want to chop like Joo Se Hyuk but can't seem to get the ball even on table, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my gesture or just a long pimps thing (I only have inverted rubber).

Here's a really good video from one of the greatest choppers of all time back in the day, Koji Matsushita, explaining the fundamentals in chopping!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
practice with a non pimpled rubber first and be good at it.. then transfer to long pips after if u want to be like Joo SeHyuk.. I use long pips myself in my backhand because I'm a defender.. and long pimples is not that easy to use either.. just practice a lot.. and watch Joo's videos or Yuto Muramutso or Kim Kyung Ah's.. you can learn from them..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I am not a chopper when I play games but I will chop occasionally during play. I have a Defplay Senseo that we using for practicing looping back chopped balls. We take turns chopping for each other so I am practicing chopping while my practice partner is practicing looping chopped balls.
I also play sometimes with my Firewall Plus with Talon 0X on the BH.

I find that the rubber make a BIG difference in how one chops. When I chop with my Talon 0X I find it hard to change the spin much. However, Talon 0X is not affected much by the incoming spin either. This means I don't need to change my stroke as much as the incoming spin changes. The looper must keep swinging up faster and faster so the ball comes with more top spin. The trajectory seems to change because of the build up with top spin. Except for the trajectory change I find that chopping the first ball is pretty much like chopping the next ball because the Talon 0X isn't affected that much by the spin.

At first I had 1.5 mm Reflectoid on my Defplay. Chopping with Reflectoid is at the extreme opposite. I can add or remove spin with the Reflectoid but it is also much more susceptible to the incoming spin. I must change the attitude of the paddle depending on the incoming spin. If I slice the ball quickly I can generate much more spin than what I can with LP but it takes skill and timing to brush chop a ball consistently like JSH does and I am not there yet. Not even close.

The general getting into position doesn't change as a function of the rubber but the stroke does. From the looper's stand point playing against the Talon 0X is easier since he is the one that controls the spin. Every once in a while I play against a clueless looper that simply wants to over power me with top spin only to find that the top spin comes back with vicious back spin. Smart loopers put on just enough spin to get the ball back knowing I can't change the spin much and if my return is high THEN the attack it.

I also play hardbat. Some times the opponent will chop and I 'loop' with m with my Toxic 5 with Peacekeeper. My first 'loop' is not really a real loop even though I make about the same stroke. The first 'loop' simply doesn't have that much spin to arc and jump out after the bounce but after we exchange loops and chop a few times the spin on the ball builds up so my later loops really arc and jump out low and drop like a real loop.

The point is that chopping with inverted and low friction pips is completely different because you can add or subtract spin with the inverted and the spin doesn't have a tendency to build up whereas with low friction pips it is hard to change the spin much but you can add to it a little and after a few exchanges the spin can build up and that means one must change the attitude of the paddle a little as the spin increases.

I find it harder to chop with Reflectoid on the Defplay because it is spin sensitive. I replaced the Reflectoid with 388D-1 which is better than Talon 0X for chopping but still not as sensitive to variations in the top spin as the Reflectoid. If I were a real chopper I would make the effort to learn how to chop with the Reflectoid because one can change the spin and attack with the BH better.