Are Lebrun brothers just developing a permanent reputation for bad sportsmanship?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Another day, another match, another controversy from Lebrun.

The 2 controversial moments are timestamped in the comment section.

1) During a rally, the Chinese side "Cho" seemingly in the middle of the rally. It does seem weird to Cho before the point is decided, but sometimes you think you won the point before you did. It certainly doesn't seem intentional from the Chinese side. The Lebrun brothers make a big fuss over this, and it looks kinda silly from them.

2) WCQ does a serve winner. Lebrun brothers do a sarcastic applause, trying to suggest that WCQ's serve was illegal.

What do you think? Are the Lebrun brothers just constantly annoying? Or are they right about these points?

• Sad
Reactions: pilami
Are the Lebrun brothers just constantly annoying? Or are they right about these points?
Opponents can be on whatever level of annoyance, this affects them much more than me. My inner piece and calmness are the priorities during competitions.

There's an umpire to judge whether the serve was legal or not. Even if it clearly wasn't legal, does being emotional about it help anyway? Probably not. Alexis just plays against himself in this case.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I saw at the end of probably this match, one of the Chinese pair made a good underspin serve that one of the Lebrun Bros pushed into the net... that Lebrun pointed at the CNT player and made applause with hand and racket... and that point setup match point.

A total a-hole will not compliment opponent's good shot at that critical point in a match or at all. That was worth thinking about.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
What do you think? Are the Lebrun brothers just constantly annoying? Or are they right about these points?
I leave these decisions to the umpire but would like to say the following about
WCQ 's serve in general.
I have noticed in a recent single against Uda/Japan that these serves might often be
illegal. I observed that the actual point when the blade hits the ball is often OVER the table.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
A total a-hole will not compliment opponent's good shot at that critical point in a match or at all. That was worth thinking about.
I think he was being sarcastic and complimenting the illegal serve, as he smacked the ball away hard and did an exaggerated mockery of the serving motion directly after.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I think he was being sarcastic and complimenting the illegal serve, as he smacked the ball away hard and did an exaggerated mockery of the serving motion directly after.
agree. Lebrun brothers do not do anything to "compliment" anyone....

So Harimoto's screaming v.s Lebrun's sarcasm...which one would you rather have in the sport?

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
The compliment was clearly sarcastic, he complained to the umpire right after that. Not a very likeable gesture but understandable, at that point they felt like they'd been treated unfairly because of the "speak during the point" incident.

Speaking of which, I didn't find any kinda hindrance rule here: https://documents.ittf.sport/sites/default/files/public/2022-02/ITTF_HB_2022_clean_v1_0.pdf
I assume it is written down elsewhere. The shout didn't really affect the point anyway.

I feel like Felix is a good kid, but Alexis does gives off a toxic vibe occasionally.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

So Harimoto's screaming v.s Lebrun's sarcasm...which one would you rather have in the sport?
Personally, I wouldn't mind either. Harimoto isn't doing anything against the rule, and players like Lebruns who get annoyed are only ruining their own game.

You can see it more clearly with Felix, he is younger and less mature, and so he is screwing his own mentality many times. It's like WCQ a few years ago. Now he seems more mature and here he is, #2 in the world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

Harimoto all the way.
At least he is always respectfull and honest. I never saw him mock anyone or serving on purpose when the opponent is clearly not ready.
But besides this, FZD "chos" after contact from lebrun. And the ball didnt get into play again. Yeah probably a bit prematurely and not ideal, but making a fuzz about this is ridiculous.
If you want to see a real shitshow about the same topic you should watch alamiyan vs lind in which alamiyan chos really in the middle of the rallye.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Harimoto all the way.
At least he is always respectfull and honest. I never saw him mock anyone or serving on purpose when the opponent is clearly not ready.
But besides this, FZD "chos" after contact from lebrun. And the ball didnt get into play again. Yeah probably a bit prematurely and not ideal, but making a fuzz about this is ridiculous.
If you want to see a real shitshow about the same topic you should watch alamiyan vs lind in which alamiyan chos really in the middle of the rallye.
I saw that. I mean people chos all the time. What is there to say they are doing in the middle or at the end of the rally. In that point, both players were playing the point. Lind ended the rally prematurely to make a complaint. And he still lost the point. At the end, both players got into it with each other. Both men showed poor sportsmanship.

Reactions: BaRanchik
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I think there is a fine line between unprofessional behaviour and just a bit of healthy needle between competitors - let's be honest, TT in France is a lot more lively and exciting than in many other countries, and I for one would love to see more of this energy and supporter interactivity in the events I attend.

Look at tennis - there is plenty of challenge and rivalry between certain players, and this always adds to the entertainment value (and always has done - think Connors/Mac etc)

TT is too quiet and too reserved for my tastes, and I think it would become more attractive to spectators with a bit more life and engagement (even the league matches I play lack any energy from the sidelines - I miss that and love it if someone is cheering me on)

I like the Lebrun brothers and I love the attitude they bring to the game - no prisoners and no undue respect, they want to win and they bring their best game always.

This user has no status.
I think there is a fine line between unprofessional behaviour and just a bit of healthy needle between competitors - let's be honest, TT in France is a lot more lively and exciting than in many other countries, and I for one would love to see more of this energy and supporter interactivity in the events I attend.

Look at tennis - there is plenty of challenge and rivalry between certain players, and this always adds to the entertainment value (and always has done - think Connors/Mac etc)

TT is too quiet and too reserved for my tastes, and I think it would become more attractive to spectators with a bit more life and engagement (even the league matches I play lack any energy from the sidelines - I miss that and love it if someone is cheering me on)

I like the Lebrun brothers and I love the attitude they bring to the game - no prisoners and no undue respect, they want to win and they bring their best game always.
Agreed, before this we had Chen Weixing and Zhang Jike who had similar "bad" attitudes which definitely spiced up the games haha. Players in other sports are way, way worse...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Agreed, before this we had Chen Weixing and Zhang Jike who had similar "bad" attitudes which definitely spiced up the games haha. Players in other sports are way, way worse...

WCQ was about to become another ZJK, but got disciplined too early.
I miss the fiery personality of ZJK. . .

Reactions: JJ Ng and Wrighty67
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019

Well on one hand we have the Lebrun pointing out something that is often discussed i.e. umpires doing nothing for players breaking the rules during servers.

On the other hand we have this guy emptying his lungs yelling on his points, sometimes combined with helicopter spins for bonus points.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ Ng and vvk1
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Well on one hand we have the Lebrun pointing out something that is often discussed i.e. umpires doing nothing for players breaking the rules during servers.

On the other hand we have this guy emptying his lungs yelling on his points, sometimes combined with helicopter spins for bonus points.
I wish Harimoto would yell "FUCK YEA LETS GO" with every point. He'd instantly become my favorite.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews

Like if you are playing chess and the opponent goes "FUCK YEA LETS GO" every time he takes one of your pieces. Its not against the rules and if you like having spit flying in your face you probably wont mind.
While I agree that the degree that Harimoto screams are a bit much, your analogy to chess makes no sense.

Almost every pro player in table tennis shouts, screams, fist pumps etc. Some even grunt loudly during rallies. Chess doesn't have this kind of culture at all.

In terms of entertainment, I enjoy Lebruns antics, Pistejs antics and so on. The drama is fun, even though I would hate being on the other side to it.

It is also obvious that Harimoto is a respectful person if we look at his other behaviour and I admire his passion. Even though I would hate playing him and hear his screams, I have problems with my ears so I if anyone would be even more opposed to it. As a spectator and in certain contexts I don't mind it though.

But I'd probably have more of an issue seeing arrogant behaviour on the other side than Harimotos screams. Some may perceive them as arrogant, but words from Barbrow, other pros and people who have met Harimoto all seem to suggest the opposite.

Jul 2019
Almost every pro player in table tennis shouts, screams, fist pumps etc. Some even grunt loudly during rallies. Chess doesn't have this kind of culture at all.

But none of them empty their lungs Harimoto style.

Its funny that people get so defensive with Harimoto, like years ago this screaming was an excuse "He's young under pressure etc etc". He aint so young anymore so now its just "Its not against the rules".

Its not like I am even saying he should stop or people should not watch him for that, no, just saying if you think a sarcastic remark about breaking the rules is more annyoing that a guy screaming his lungs out then you should probably get your head out of your ass cause you cant hear that well in there.

Reactions: SamTheMan and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
But none of them empty their lungs Harimoto style.

Its funny that people get so defensive with Harimoto, like years ago this screaming was an excuse "He's young under pressure etc etc". He aint so young anymore so now its just "Its not against the rules".

Its not like I am even saying he should stop or people should not watch him for that, no, just saying if you think a sarcastic remark about breaking the rules is more annyoing that a guy screaming his lungs out then you should probably get your head out of your ass cause you cant hear that well in there.
Quoting your own status:
"You write but do you think?".

Reactions: quanghuysk