This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Just saw coach ERT vid. LGL told XX to back his bags and leave.

Xu Xin is playing singles as we can all see. But thanks for giving me an excuse to rant.

Are you joking or taking what LGL said literally? If you are joking, I get it. If you are serious, you really don't understand the point of LGL's message which was that XX has to step up his game if LGY can take the place ahead of XX (though if you watched the trials, you will see that LGY barely did it, but standing still is the same as getting worse in the world of competition). LGL really did not expect any of the upcoming players to beat his established players, so his point was that with the upcoming players getting hungrier and XX still behind the top 3, if XX falls out of the top 4, which was possible with LGY's victory, XX's career is pretty much done. So he had better find his way into the top 3 or retire soon, because there was really no point in someone like him playing till 2020 just to be a bystander. But with 5 spots, none of the upcoming players was going to take away a spot from the top 4 without earning it, and LGY made sure that the Fang Bo's and Liang Jingkun's and Zhou Yu's did not take a coach's choice spot.

Right now, the hope is that Ma Lin can work some magic into XX's game and maybe extend his top-level career a little.

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think both of them made a lot of unforced errors but you have to commend Miu Hirano on sticking to her strategy , she played really well in the crunch and I was very impressed with her ball placement in the rallies and her serve receive.
She was able to put the ball in uncomfortable positions for Ding Ning with power and spin and thats how she won !

If it was best of 7 , of course Ding Ning would have been able to adjust more and may be would have come back , shorter formats always favor underdogs . But I liked how she showed a lot of positive intent and body language, it was really refreshing to see that she does not hide her emotions , especially the positive ones ...

ding ning a notch down compared to some top players when it comes to close to the table fast exchanges (lsw lxx ito cm hirano muzi) . miu made many unforced errors and she could have beaten DN convincingly

Reactions: JeffM and TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think both of them made a lot of unforced errors but you have to commend Miu Hirano on sticking to her strategy , she played really well in the crunch and I was very impressed with her ball placement in the rallies and her serve receive.
She was able to put the ball in uncomfortable positions for Ding Ning with power and spin and thats how she won !

If it was best of 7 , of course Ding Ning would have been able to adjust more and may be would have come back , shorter formats always favor underdogs . But I liked how she showed a lot of positive intent and body language, it was really refreshing to see that she does not hide her emotions , especially the positive ones ...

Yeah, but Ding Ning had multiple occasions on which she could have won the match. She had a 4 point lead in a deciding game. Miu Hirano won all her games at Deuce. Hirano played well, and can play better, but I think people are reading way too much into this. Ding Ning did a bit of a choke job, no matter what credit you give to Hirano.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

Also miu looked very comfortable, perhaps he CTTSL experience helped her a lot although her scoring was poor, since she didnt knew her opponents but they knew her

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think overall the new generation of Miu and Mima ito are not psyched out when they face Chinese players , may be because of their age they are comparatively fearless in executing their game plan , win or lose ... its just not fair that Mima Ito limitations because of pips are already starting to catch up with her ... the initial surprise factor is gone and its going the Ai Fukuhara way ...

I agree with NL there is not much to read into this , yes Ding Ning did choke but I am happy the newere generation of Japanese players are atleast willing to compete with them to the last and not mentally giving up even before they enter the arena , of late thats been the feeling I get when I say Kasumi Isikawa play any of the CNT players ..

Also miu looked very comfortable, perhaps he CTTSL experience helped her a lot although her scoring was poor, since she didnt knew her opponents but they knew her

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I think overall the new generation of Miu and Mima ito are not psyched out when they face Chinese players , may be because of their age they are comparatively fearless in executing their game plan , win or lose ... its just not fair that Mima Ito limitations because of pips are already starting to catch up with her ... the initial surprise factor is gone and its going the Ai Fukuhara way ...

I agree with NL there is not much to read into this , yes Ding Ning did choke but I am happy the newere generation of Japanese players are atleast willing to compete with them to the last and not mentally giving up even before they enter the arena , of late thats been the feeling I get when I say Kasumi Isikawa play any of the CNT players ..

Mytake is that DN got outplayed especially in the last set, she couldnt keep up with the constant changes in the rally and couldnt find a way to adapt. 4 sets would definitely be a different story though

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
Xu Xin is playing singles as we can all see. But thanks for giving me an excuse to rant.

Are you joking or taking what LGL said literally? If you are joking, I get it. If you are serious, you really don't understand the point of LGL's message which was that XX has to step up his game if LGY can take the place ahead of XX (though if you watched the trials, you will see that LGY barely did it, but standing still is the same as getting worse in the world of competition). LGL really did not expect any of the upcoming players to beat his established players, so his point was that with the upcoming players getting hungrier and XX still behind the top 3, if XX falls out of the top 4, which was possible with LGY's victory, XX's career is pretty much done. So he had better find his way into the top 3 or retire soon, because there was really no point in someone like him playing till 2020 just to be a bystander. But with 5 spots, none of the upcoming players was going to take away a spot from the top 4 without earning it, and LGY made sure that the Fang Bo's and Liang Jingkun's and Zhou Yu's did not take a coach's choice spot.

Right now, the hope is that Ma Lin can work some magic into XX's game and maybe extend his top-level career a little.

I was joking somewhat, twisting what LGL said. My assessment of LGL's message is the same as yours.

I also dissagree with LGL's assessment of XX's "lack of forehand" in a sense. His attacks haven't become more lax, nor has his forearm strength deminished. I wouldn't be surprised if he is working harder than ever before. The obvious issue here to me is the new ball and his outdated equipment from the celluloid days. Even ML switched blades, and the resulting improvment from said switch was clearly visible (to me atleast).

The problem is XX's killshots are being returned and it is practically impossible for him to catch up to them. XX's style IMHO is a very risk oriented, do-or-die sniper oriented, leveraging the penhold grip to make his forehand spins deadlier and neigh un-returnable. The new ball somewhat takes away his heat, but I'm beginning to think its because of his light, all wood blade that is slowing him down.

Just like ML, it is time to step up to an actual carbon blade (NCT doesn't count!), and it is time for DHS to provide the next stage of national rubbers to help XX gain back his sizzle.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
I managed to see the last set of ZHU YL vs HIRANO. The Japanese won in straight sets. Another huge performance !!!
The Chinese look totally lost. Even when she was attacking, HIRANO managed to counterattack or make deadly blocks ... Her coach looked utterly disgusted and looked like he didn't believe in his player anymore before the end of the game.

I believe LGL would cheer his player till the end...

Now can HIRANO make the impossible possible , beating a 3rd Chinese player in a row in the final to clinch the Championship ?

now LIU Shiwen vs CHEN Meng going on

edit: CHEN Meng wins 3-1 against LIU Shiwen

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Are we witnessing the beginning of the end for CNT dominance ? Atleast in Women's, I dont see any one to compete against Hirano in 2-3 years time !!! For Men, FZD will still carry the CNT flag high but no top 4 for CNT in Mens for sure in the near future as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Are we witnessing the beginning of the end for CNT dominance ? Atleast in Women's, I dont see any one to compete against Hirano in 2-3 years time !!! For Men, FZD will still carry the CNT flag high but no top 4 for CNT in Mens for sure in the near future as well.

I agree with you. China will always have a lot of talent, but exceptional talent came from many players at the same time. it will not always be the case.

This user has no status.
Zhu Yuling has not been herself for way too long.
yes, given how HIRANO played against LIU Shiwen (teams) or DING Ning yesterday, and how ZHU has been performing lately, its hardly a surprise that HIRANO could win this one. Still a straight sets win against the Chinese is always impressive.

CHEN Meng has performed well recently, in the trials she came out just behind DING Ning and LIU Shiwen, (tied with MU Zi ?) and now she beats LIU Shiwen, she will be a tougher opponent for HIRANO.

The mental aspect in sports is very important. 1 year ago DJOKOVIC looked unbeatable. 1 week ago, Chinese looked unbeatable, and HIRANO just won 2 in a row. Fear and confidence maybe has changed sides ? I believe HIRANO can accomplish the impossible. Another straight sets victory would be just HUGE.

Reactions: NextLevel