Backhand Rubber Suggestion

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Hi all,

My current setup is FLZ ALC with rakza 7 soft on the backhand.
I like the setup, except for receiving and pushing. It feels a little too bouncy and sensitive to spin.
If I push/receive soft, then it's sensitive to strong spin. If I push harder to overwrite the spin, I often push too long. This is not the same with my h3n on my FH, which I find even I make strong friction, it's not that bouncy and ball is still controllable.

My question is, does it make sense to change the backhand rubber?
I totally understand my lack of technique plays a big role here. But I also want to try something to make the receiving game easier for me so that I can play/enjoy matches more.

I read that tacky rubber might give you better short game, so I wonder if there is any suggestions.
I am going to try Nittaku h3 turbo orange (mainly for FH replacement for H3N, because I don't like to boost and fear I am not utilizing the full power of H3), but that one might be too hard for backhand use.

D05 is also on the radar, but I don't know if I can handle it.

Thanks!

This user has no status.
I am nowadays using a new rubber on my new cheap blade and it sounds nice for receiving to a point, almost better than Rakza 7 Soft, and the rubber is XIOM Vega Europe.

I also tried DHS H3 NEO 37 deg rubber, not bad, but need to be boosted, if all those didn't work then it is time for long pips and anti.

This user has no status.
That all depends on your level and style of bh overall. If you use it mostly for blocks, pushes and dont attack much you can go for anything harder, sticky and if possible thinner. Everything slower will make your returns more secure.

If you do flips and attacks with your bh as well you have to make a compromise somewhat at this point. If you are learning i highly recommend Yinhe Blue Moon 12. It is not sticky and quite soft but easy af to control. Highly linear and easy to adjust with it. On top you can attack with it everywhere on the table. It gets much harder away from the table but to some extent still possible.

If you want more speed but still some more control than you have right now you could test Hurricane 8-80 37 or Yinhe Moon Pro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hello! You can try something hard and sticky, but two things are very important - it should have at least an average speed when hitting without spin and should not weigh much, because even if the weight of the whole racket is normal, then the balance will shift to the head and it will be difficult to work with the wrist.

If using Rakza 7 soft for pushing and receiving and still having difficulty, it is mainly not due to product failure. User interface issue perhaps? :LOL:
Rakza 7 soft is bouncy with low engagement point. So it can be fast on speedy blade. A harder rubber has a higher engagement point for the bounce…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Rakza 7 soft is bouncy with low engagement point. So it can be fast on speedy blade. A harder rubber has a higher engagement point for the bounce…

Cheers
L-zr
that is exactly my reasoning. having these soft esn rubbers makes receiving of balls that are fast quite a challenge, because you basically can not stop the ball from punching through to the blade and catapulting of into the night sky.
If you get the angle right it can work, but if you are good enough to get the angle right you might as well not use a push but loop or flick it.

says Currently in a dilemma between 5+2 or 7 ply allwood blade
says Currently in a dilemma between 5+2 or 7 ply allwood blade
May 2021
Hi all,

I like the setup, except for receiving and pushing. It feels a little too bouncy and sensitive to spin.
If I push/receive soft, then it's sensitive to strong spin. If I push harder to overwrite the spin, I often push too long. This is not the same with my h3n on my FH, which I find even I make strong friction, it's not that bouncy and ball is still controllable.

I totally understand my lack of technique plays a big role here. But I also want to try something to make the receiving game easier for me so that I can play/enjoy matches more.

I read that tacky rubber might give you better short game, so I wonder if there is any suggestions.
I am going to try Nittaku h3 turbo orange (mainly for FH replacement for H3N, because I don't like to boost and fear I am not utilizing the full power of H3), but that one might be too hard for backhand use.

Thanks!

Stick with it for a while, and keep grinding

Also, nittaku h3 turbo is even harder than h3n (correct me if I'm wrong. Only try it about 5 minutes, and that's a wrap. It's a no go. Better stick with h3n, or if one is looking for something more 'easy', go for yinhe jupiter, or big dipper)

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi all,

Thanks!
To get an idea of what a tacky rubber is like for pushing on BH just use your current set up and flip the Provincial H3Neo to your BH. You say the H3N on FH is good for short game so just flip it over for some BH practice pushing drills.
Try the H3N for BH topspin as well !!!
If you are worried about offensive BH play with H3N on BH, then you can go for a lightly tacky hybrid like Glazer 09C rather than the D09C and save a few bucks. Rakza Z is another option and is tackier than both G09C and D09C Additionally you could try H8-80 in 37 degree hardness, this doesn’t necessarily need boosting, but once again has more tackiness than Rakza Z.
Golden Tango PS is another decent choice for an un boosted tacky BH rubber that still has a bouncier sponge.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
If using Rakza 7 soft for pushing and receiving and still having difficulty, it is mainly not due to product failure. User interface issue perhaps? :LOL:
My technique is definitely an issue here. :)
I am trying to gauge if it can be helped by equipment, or alternatively I already have the type of rubber I need and only the technique needs to be improved

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
That all depends on your level and style of bh overall. If you use it mostly for blocks, pushes and dont attack much you can go for anything harder, sticky and if possible thinner. Everything slower will make your returns more secure.

If you do flips and attacks with your bh as well you have to make a compromise somewhat at this point. If you are learning i highly recommend Yinhe Blue Moon 12. It is not sticky and quite soft but easy af to control. Highly linear and easy to adjust with it. On top you can attack with it everywhere on the table. It gets much harder away from the table but to some extent still possible.

If you want more speed but still some more control than you have right now you could test Hurricane 8-80 37 or Yinhe Moon Pro.

Thanks! I will look into those rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
that is exactly my reasoning. having these soft esn rubbers makes receiving of balls that are fast quite a challenge, because you basically can not stop the ball from punching through to the blade and catapulting of into the night sky.
If you get the angle right it can work, but if you are good enough to get the angle right you might as well not use a push but loop or flick it.
Yeah that's how I feel.
It's hard for me to estimate the spin level and adjust the racket angle and decide how hard to push. It's especially so when receive fast long (top or back) side spin serves.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
To get an idea of what a tacky rubber is like for pushing on BH just use your current set up and flip the Provincial H3Neo to your BH. You say the H3N on FH is good for short game so just flip it over for some BH practice pushing drills.
Try the H3N for BH topspin as well !!!
If you are worried about offensive BH play with H3N on BH, then you can go for a lightly tacky hybrid like Glazer 09C rather than the D09C and save a few bucks. Rakza Z is another option and is tackier than both G09C and D09C Additionally you could try H8-80 in 37 degree hardness, this doesn’t necessarily need boosting, but once again has more tackiness than Rakza Z.
Golden Tango PS is another decent choice for an un boosted tacky BH rubber that still has a bouncier sponge.
Thanks! That seems the easiest (and cheapest) experiment I can do.
Is Rakza Z also slower? If so that would be nice to try! H8-80 also sounds interesting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Stick with it for a while, and keep grinding

Also, nittaku h3 turbo is even harder than h3n (correct me if I'm wrong. Only try it about 5 minutes, and that's a wrap. It's a no go. Better stick with h3n, or if one is looking for something more 'easy', go for yinhe jupiter, or big dipper)

I will def grind a bit more. Maybe give it a month or two to see if my receiving / pushing can be improved. Thanks!

Does low engagement point mean it will have catapult effect with a lower speed ball contacting the rubber, thus harder to control for slow speed?
Yes, exactly like that.

Cheers
L-zt

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Thanks all for the feedback!

It seems
1) Rakza 7 soft is already easy to control and slow. But with its low engagement point, controlling short game could be harder than a high engagement point rubber.
2) Grinding skill is probably first option.
3) If really need to switch rubber, something that's tacky, harder, more linear but still 'easy' enough to attack is the way to go. Thus the Rakza Z, H8-80, H3N, Yinhe Blue Moon 12, XIOM Vega Europe, G09C etc

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Thanks! That seems the easiest (and cheapest) experiment I can do.
Is Rakza Z also slower? If so that would be nice to try! H8-80 also sounds interesting.
Rakza Z should be faster than the H8-80 37 degree, especially when mounted on your existing blade!!
but the H8-80 is still fast enough.
regarding feel, Rakza Z will feel softer than the H8-80, it’s top sheet is softer, but everyone’s different when it comes to feel !!
Rakza Z seems to have a higher throw than H8-80, at least it does for me, this means it’s great for BH top spin open ups and flicks v back spin, but high throw for top spin strokes means a lower throw for pushing or back spin strokes, this may seem like it’s more spin sensitive, you may find you have to open blade more when pushing with Rakza Z, this means it may actually seem harder to push the ball they way you want to!!
There’s always a trade off with equipment and how it plays!!!

At the end of the day, being coached, improving your technique, perhaps doing more ‘touch’ drills such as short pushes mixed with long pushes, reading spin etc is going to get you further than a change in equipment!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Rakza Z should be faster than the H8-80 37 degree, especially when mounted on your existing blade!!
but the H8-80 is still fast enough.
regarding feel, Rakza Z will feel softer than the H8-80, it’s top sheet is softer, but everyone’s different when it comes to feel !!
Rakza Z seems to have a higher throw than H8-80, at least it does for me, this means it’s great for BH top spin open ups and flicks v back spin, but high throw for top spin strokes means a lower throw for pushing or back spin strokes, this may seem like it’s more spin sensitive, you may find you have to open blade more when pushing with Rakza Z, this means it may actually seem harder to push the ball they way you want to!!
There’s always a trade off with equipment and how it plays!!!

At the end of the day, being coached, improving your technique, perhaps doing more ‘touch’ drills such as short pushes mixed with long pushes, reading spin etc is going to get you further than a change in equipment!!
Rakza z is slower and softer than hurricane 8-80

• Love
Reactions: IB66 and SamTheMan