Bat recommendations for a beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I'm a beginner and I'm looking to get a more competitive, yet relatively cheap, bat that I can use to learn more as well as compete with. Any recommendations?

I play penhold with reverse penhold backhand and I am looking for a pips in bat with high spin and speed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I'm also mostly looking in the under $60 range, getting this Butterfly for now but I'm trying to find the next step after.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I'm also mostly looking in the under $60 range, getting this Butterfly for now but I'm trying to find the next step after.

Is the $60 including rubber, or just for the blade?

If $60 for the entire package: I think the Yasaka Sweden Extra ($30ish) and Donic Applegren Allplay ($30ish) are nice, inexpensive blades. I think the Tibhar Force Pro Black Edition ($45ish) is what I would get if I had to go back in time and select a blade I would be happy with throughout my playing "career". That would leave you some cash for 2x Palio AK47-Yellow sponge rubber sheets from aliexpress (while not the best at anything, those rubbers seem to be a good balance between quality and price, based on my opinion).

If $60 just for the blade...then I still suggest the blades above and spending more on rubber sheets with a little more mechanical grip that won't slow down the progression of learning spinnier backhand loops and the like.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I'm a beginner and I'm looking to get a more competitive, yet relatively cheap, bat that I can use to learn more as well as compete with. Any recommendations?

I play penhold with reverse penhold backhand and I am looking for a pips in bat with high spin and speed.

If you're in the US indeed, you might want to have a chat with Cole and/or give http://colestt.com a closer look.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
You could get 2x (that is TWO bats) Blade Yinhe 896 with XP2008 both sides for your $60 budget from Cole, he will build and ship USPS in USA 2-3 days. Hard to beat that for a starter setup.
What would be the reason to get two?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I got Sanwei M8 for $12 and Palio with AK47 fro $13.09 from aliexpress. Both very good and as a returning arage player I love the M8. Both arrived in less than 2 weeks from China -amazing service amazing price amazing quality and VFM!
How long do those last? And at what quality?

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Definitely AK47 Yellow, with some cheapo all-wood blade, doesn't really matter which. Possibly get yasaka sweden extra or something like that though because blades of that quality of make won't chip away when you replace rubbers.

Good quality rubber, easily the best you can hope to find at that price, no contest. Lasts pretty long too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Sanwei Fextra or (a bit slower) Yasaka Sweden Extra with Yasaka Mark-V on both sides. Palio Extreme CJ 8000 spin is also a really great rubber and cheaper.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Whether you are a beginner or intermediate player, looking for a high-quality table tennis bat, the butterfly 401 is a reasonably good choice. Its tacky surface offers great spin. Manufactured by Butterfly company.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What would be the reason to get two?

I think Der_Echte was saying that the prices at colestt.com are so inexpensive that you could get a full setup for half the price of your budget and it would be an excellent racket.

Since you are in the US it is worth looking at colestt.com. He is not in business to make money. On his site he sells only stuff that is inexpensive but good. He only sells things he feels are worth selling.

The Yinhe Galaxy 896 blade Der_Echte mentioned is excellent and only $16.00. The rubbers Der_Echte mentioned (Dawei 2008 Super Power) is $8.00 and it is quite decent, and EXCELLENT for that price. But every inverted rubber listed is pretty decent. You could even ask Cole for recommendations.

He will seal the blade and put the rubbers on for you.

I would start there. But the other recommendations that have been submitted on this thread would all be fine too.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
I really didnt like the CJ8000 at all. I felt it was a bit of a dead rubber. Much prefer any of the AK47 rubbers and also liked some of the Palio T88 i think?
Some great bargains out there especially on aliexpress if you look around.For more advanced players you just need to bite the bullet and pay the money for the best you can afford that meets your needs.