Best Setup for chop blocking

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2021
Hey guys,

I want to implement chop blocking into my game because I think it could be really effective at a lower level.
I know that that shot is mostly influenced by the technique that is used and not by the rubber.
Either way I would like to know if there's a type of rubber which let's you chop block more easily. Sticky or non sticky? Hard or soft? What about thickness?
Or does it really not matter and it just depends on the technique?

Thanks in advance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
With inverted rubbers dead tacky rubbers are the best for chopblocking imo. With Dignics the chopblock will often end up sky high due to the bounciness...
Koki Niwa and Truls Moregardh have some of the best chopblocks. The guys who play the best dead balls in my club use Tenergy 05 on Hinoki Carbon blades. In the end, you become good at what you practice, equipment be damned as long as it meets some minimum criteria.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Hey guys,

I want to implement chop blocking into my game because I think it could be really effective at a lower level.
I know that that shot is mostly influenced by the technique that is used and not by the rubber.
Either way I would like to know if there's a type of rubber which let's you chop block more easily. Sticky or non sticky? Hard or soft? What about thickness?
Or does it really not matter and it just depends on the technique?

Thanks in advance
Technique.

Period.

You're welcome.

Reactions: merlin el mago
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Get the exact setup as Koki Niwa :D
1csl5x.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Nah serioously, don't believe the EJ hype and advices people are giving you about the right gears to use, start with a simple beginner/kid premade bat with inverted rubbers your club already has, and start noodling with it to see what stroke motion you have to do to get the right effect and control. Then when you do at least 90% of good shots with that bat, increase the speed/spin ratio of the rubbers and blade by using another premade bat that is slightly faster.

Juninho was the best free kicks scorer of all time because he never searched for a fancy curved ball and powerfull attack, it was all about technique. In comparison Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi have scored less than him, the Juninho's conversion rate was 6.7, that is pretty impressive considering all the FKs he has tried and scored.

With that kind of shots, and in your training in general, the conversion rate/statistics implementation is crucial, recording yourself with your smartphone can help for sure. Christian Prouteau of the GIGN started to use the famous Manurhin MR73 only when he was able to make at least 90% of bullseyes.... out of 1000 bullets at least.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Koki Niwa and Truls Moregardh have some of the best chopblocks. The guys who play the best dead balls in my club use Tenergy 05 on Hinoki Carbon blades. In the end, you become good at what you practice, equipment be damned as long as it meets some minimum criteria.
Yes that's true. If you practice enough with some equipment you become good at it nevertheless. Technique (including ball reading and handling skills) is the most important aspect.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I might regret commenting on this thread. A few things:

1) non-tensor, inverted rubber, soft sponge is probably what you want to start off with, practicing chop block. So maybe like Sriver EL. Then once you are good at it, like Koki Niwa, you can do it with any rubber.

2) I would not get Koki Niwa's equipment. too fast.

3) Chop block so you reverse the spin and take energy away from the incoming ball, yeah, long pips ox (without sponge) is probably what you are looking for. But if you put long pips on your backhand side, then you have to chop block all the time or do something creative with long pips. If you dont know how to use long pips, then don't go down that road.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Of all 6 rubber types (in, out , anti, medium, long & super-long) short pips is the worst for chop blocking.
If you want maximum spin and control one would want to use OX high aspect ratio super long pips on an asymmetric super large blade.
As you yourself said short pips won't grab the ball (in fact least grip) resulting in many balls sailing long or landing with just enough back spin for the opposing looper to loop kill the hell out of that weak return.
Even if you take aggressive punch blocking or flat killing, high aspect ratio super long pip is far superior from wekside of a shakehander. The only way short pips can be useful is for a traditional penhold attacket using short pips.
You know this be true because.....
For attacking I prefer short pips over LP but this topic is about chop blocking.
I agree one can chop block with LP, MP or SP. This is a preference.

One of the best chop blockers was Zhou Xintong. There may be few others.
If you look at Shan Xiaona on the other hand, she just had not lived up to her full potential because of leaving the backside of her penhold blank. If she had used OX high aspect ratio super long pips on back side & only even occasionally used it, this would have forced opponents rethink. It really is not that hard for someone like her to use high aspect ratio super long pips because she is already using pips.
Look at Ni Xia Lian the short pips / long pips penhold twiddler. She is 60. & won bronze medal in doubles.
Simply because someone is a pro dos not automatically mean they are super experts on racket designs. I can give so many more examples of pros playing below their potential using wrong rubbers & blades. Mima Ito, Hou Yingchao, Han Ying, Joanna Drinkall & 100s of Japanese weakside short pips ueers(both attack & chop style) etc are prime examples
Most short pips are not able to reverse the spin of an incoming loop but they can add to the top spin or you back spin.
Ditto the statement about pros not being good at blade or paddle design but they know what works for them.

The problem here is that everyone has an opinion. There is no facts about what makes a good chop blocking paddle. What I know is that one can chop block with just about anything, from inverted to LP. It is just a preference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I'm talking about the chop block that is used by koki niwa, ma long,...

if you talking about that, then you need to have a hell of a good hand control and once you have that skill set, any equipment can work.

if you talking about full on chop blocker, then that is LP rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Pro maybe. Amateur no way

No. The LP rubbers on ITTF LARC absolutely useless in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era. You need high aspect ratio super long pips, which refuse to sell despite the fact that I made an offer after you accused me of making fake offers.
Maybe you are the fake claiming to care about
1. the best inerests of pips / anti playes in the 40+ plastic ball ONLY era
2. about the kids in South Africa.
The offer is for $5000 paid in stages . I am ready to send $100 as soon as you start selling high aspect ratio super long pips . You cleverly evaded answering my previous offers & TTDaily has deleted one of my posts with a better offer allowing to clear the useless ITTF LARC long pips inventory alongside high aspect ratio super long pips.
Why not just take a fully business expense deductible nice tabletennis vacation trip to Indonesia
You could be laughing all the way to the bank before some German dealer does the same for the European market & you will miss the boat, ebcause once the Germans (& othe rEuropeans) discover thes high aspect ratio super long pips, it is game over for ITTF. Rest assured it is happening one way or the other.

I sell 50+mm balls, because my supplier makes them.
give me your silly long pips, and I can sell them.
are you going to make them for me to sell?

You talk a lot of garbage over and over again, I'm a direct, straight to point guy. I don't have time to read or reread the same garbage, so i didn't do it after I see your copy and paste.
So direct to the point: send me 10 samples of each rubber and together with your money, else.... just don't reply and move on, as you are really wasting my time

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
But you aren't allowed to use rubbers that aren't on the ITTF LARC!! So, regardless of how well the LARC listed rubbers perform, those are the only ones currently allowed in regulated/competitive table tennis!!! "Social rubbers" like high aspect ratio super long pips are fine for social players that just want to play table tennis for a bit of fun, but people that are serious about the sport and want to compete don't have the option of using these recreational/social rubbers.

Like I’ve told you dozens of time, I agree with you that high aspect ratio pips should be reinstated. But the fact remains that they are not currently authorised…and as a result they shouldn’t be used by anyone that plays the sport seriously at a competitive level.

You seem to have a real trouble wrapping your head around this issue, so let me try and spell it out in very simple terms for you…

What I’m saying is that these rubbers shouldn’t be used because they are currently not approved by the table tennis governing body, and as such they are a “dead-end” for serious table tennis players. Now, that doesn’t mean I’m in favour of them having this unapproved status; I’m simply pointing out the fact that they do currently lack approval!

Hopefully ITTF do reinstate these rubbers, but until that happens they are not approved for competitive play and as such serious players should avoid them.
Ok I will regret (one more time) responding to this thread. Let us keep it real here.

Am I going to be the next Ma Long? Is James Z going to be the next Koji Matsushita? no. If you don't know who Koji Matsushita is, you should YouTube him. Most acrobatic chopper of all time.

So we are here to have fun right? Then use whatever rubber you want.

Adam Bobrow went to Indonesia and encountered the most insane long pips he has ever seen? Did he complain? A little bit. But he was good sport and still meet almost all of them.

Apparently in Indonesia, they love these very deceptive wobbling long pips and they seem to have a blast playing with each other in clubs on a daily basis. I assume no one is pulling out ITTF handbook three times a day in club.

Looking at the big picture, on our day to day life, let us have fun with whatever equipment we enjoy. Arguing about ITTF and about what the pro's can use and cannot use miss the big picture as to why we are here loving our sport every day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
The Tony/James never ending fight to me sounds like this: it's not what you're able to do that counts, it's about what you look like apparently:

At least, the real Tony James knows how to make fun of himself, he knew showing himself as a member of a 4 million pounds punk band meant nothing, but hype always help right ! so he played the game, for fun.

FOR FUN

This is what comes to my mind with Tony and james, they want to show themsselves as 4 million dollars guys in TT, but they forgot to have fun here...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If I can get those rubbers myself why the hell do I need you ?

hahahahahaha, Srinivas Janardhanan doesn't have stock, but he is the master sales girl of these rubbers and saying, use my rubbers and I will give you x dollar.
But hey, I don't have stock, you must try and find them yourselves.

Okay, this is getting more and more ridiculous and hilarious.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
But you aren't allowed to use rubbers that aren't on the ITTF LARC!! So, regardless of how well the LARC listed rubbers perform, those are the only ones currently allowed in regulated/competitive table tennis!!! "Social rubbers" like high aspect ratio super long pips are fine for social players that just want to play table tennis for a bit of fun, but people that are serious about the sport and want to compete don't have the option of using these recreational/social rubbers.
its not just that it isn't on the LARC
Even if you and I want to use it (in someone's garage and far from sanction matches), Srinivas Janardhanan doesn't have any samples to provide us.

It is like me going on, on how good the super Ma Long GOAT edition blade and rubbers are, and go on for 30 years and everyone needs to use it and I will pay them 5000 dollllars, but then, when you ask me how to get one, I will say... who knows.
It feels like unicorn talking, but the problem is Srinivas Janardhanan isn't a kid any more.