a

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
After some recent experiences with splinters on sealed DHS Hurricane 301 and Stiga Cybershape Carbon blades when changing rubbers, I would like to know what manufactures can be relied upon to make a blade that can last beyond the first rubber change? I am looking for a carbon blade that will not splinter after being laquered, which manufacturers can do this in 2024?

Good Quality:
Butterfly?
Joola?

Bad Quality:
DHS
Stiga
From what I gather, the splintering is a factor of the wood used and not the manufacturing methods. I guess they can be blamed for wood selection, but I'm not sure what sort of testing they can do to identify if the top layer of the top ply will be prone to splintering.

Your best bet is to just use a thin layer or two of wipe on polyurethane for softer outer plies like limba (I guess even koto can splinter) and then use a glue that is known to peel off easier like DHS No. 15 glue.

Out of curiosity, which glue and which lacquer were you using?

Reactions: JeffreyMG
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
After some recent experiences with splinters on sealed DHS Hurricane 301 and Stiga Cybershape Carbon blades when changing rubbers, I would like to know what manufactures can be relied upon to make a blade that can last beyond the first rubber change? I am looking for a carbon blade that will not splinter after being laquered, which manufacturers can do this in 2024?

Good Quality:
Butterfly?
Joola?

Bad Quality:
DHS
Stiga
""Gross simplification"
because I have DHS blades that do not splinter and I had to repair multiple Butterfly blades that did.

Regardless of manufacturer and because wood is a "living thing" there can never be a 100% guarantee on any blade.
I got , for example , Victas blade that gives up little wood every time i peel a rubber but never came anything loose from my 5 dollar wonder 😂

Your beating a dead horse, the big manufacturers all have the same quality.Some blades happen to be better than others but it’s impossible to tell…
The advice I can give is select one with a little thicker top layer but that is still no guarantee…

Cheers
L-zr

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
My feeling is that BTY blade quality has been going down for the past years. The new blades are more fragile ever.
I do not know this but i have a clear memory of BTY Alc blades shown here on this forum that had huge parts of the top laminate come off the blade, not recent models either.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
My club never had issues with Yinhe, we purchase many yinhe blades as it is cheaper for the parents.

Butterfly blades have good CQ, i never had issue with ALC blades.

STIGA requires hairspray.

I never had issues with any blade after using hairspray to cover the top layer.

Even my €3 fake cybershape has better top ply quality compared to my Stiga infinity😭😭

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I use polyurethane for sealing and I've never, ever had an issue with any sealed blade regardless of manufacturer. I apply as thin of a layer as possible, then immediately wipe it off with a fresh sponge. Let dry, then use 1000 grit sandpaper to wipe it vigorously until the surface feels like wood and not sticky with polyurethane. I re-glue my primary blade every 1-2 month, and I try out various other blades from time to time, and this method works perfectly.