mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
What about the handles? I have experience only with Freitas ALC and Gionis Carbon, but the Butterfly handle is quite different to e.g. Donic, it allows a nice transition between FH and BH.
If a blade has a very different handle, it will affect the play more than a slight difference in feel/speed.

Of course it's not gonna be on the same level. The yinhe costs 40 bucks and the viscaria 180. If you want a 1 to 1 experience, buy the real thing. You pay for the selection of woods, carefully handcrafted and top notch gluing process between the layers and of course the curing. You're not paying for the brand, you're paying for the quality, manufacturing process and the attention to detail and quality control. Butterfly is no1 brand for a reason.
Of course it's not gonna be on the same level. The yinhe costs 40 bucks and the viscaria 180. If you want a 1 to 1 experience, buy the real thing. You pay for the selection of woods, carefully handcrafted and top notch gluing process between the layers and of course the curing. You're not paying for the brand, you're paying for the quality, manufacturing process and the attention to detail and quality control. Butterfly is no1 brand for a reason.
I actually don't understand how they can tell you that if you want something like the viscaria, you should buy a Pro 01. I bought it to start with carbon. and it's going well for me, for my level.

Reactions: riemsesy
says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
Unless proven otherwise, the biggest distinguishing factor with high priced blades is the level of exterior finishing, which is more of an aesthetic and less of a performance concern.
I received a brand new Korbel Japan made from @Catenaccio for a very fine price.
I took a sandpaper block and very mildly sweetened all the edges and sides. I sealed it perfectly thin and sanded it again. Very very smooth, flawless.
You buy it for € 600,00? 😜

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
When I felt the new Korbel with the finger tips it felt rough on some spots.
So I sanded the surface just a little bit to make it smooth and lacquered to reseal those sanded spots.
Killing time too

But before you said you sealing then sanding. Does what I didn't understand. Doesn't make sense to sand after you sealed it

This user has no status.
But before you said you sealing then sanding. Does what I didn't understand. Doesn't make sense to sand after you sealed it
totally makes sense! when sealing (or getting wet anyhow) the wooden fibers stand up and the surface feels rough. so you have to sand again.

if you want to have a thinner 1 ply sealing, make the surface wet (with a sponge for example) then let it dry again. the fibers come up and you can sand them away before sealing.

Reactions: riemsesy
says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
like @SlowPower says
After you've sealed it, you may feel some roughness again. That's the lacquer dried, perhaps with dust or wood fibers standing up.

Simply sand very gently with a fine grit a few times over the surface, and you're done.

Another reason is that some glues don't adhere well to a freshly sealed surface. By roughening it a little after sealing, you increase the contact surface for the glue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttarc
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
You're also paying for the marketing and for the difference and labor and manufacturing costs in the respective countries. Also factor in economies of scale.

I don't think it's safe to assume that Butterfly is particularly diligent in their wood selection when individual models of the same blade can vary in weight by 10+ grams and is similar to the variance of the bargain brands. If anything they may throw out obviously defective plies whereas a bargain brand may not.

I haven't heard of any other "selection" process that somehow tests wood plies individually, as that would be cost prohibitive. Maybe some of the blade makers can chime in on if something like that is even possible.

Unless proven otherwise, the biggest distinguishing factor with high priced blades is the level of exterior finishing, which is more of an aesthetic and less of a performance concern.
Yes, a more expensive blade is also likely to play more consistently with the rest of the lineup while a cheaper blade can vary.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I actually don't understand how they can tell you that if you want something like the viscaria, you should buy a Pro 01. I bought it to start with carbon. and it's going well for me, for my level.
The pro 01 has the same construction as the viscaria, but it's a bit thicker. There isn't a true 1 to 1 with the viscaria on the market, this is just what's closest.