This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
What about Joola Zhou Qihao 90? If your friend is pro player, which is obvious as he is sponsored, he can try this blade. It should play like Vis Super ALC or FZD Super ALC. Haven’t played with Joola ZQ 90, so can’t really compare them.

This user has no status.
How it can be close to viscaria if viscaria is outer? I tried both and they very different. True Carbon inner also much slower than viscaria
I also tried both and they are very close in feeling but the donic is slower.

Also in german forums people tell its very close so this cant be totally wrong....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
I also tried both and they are very close in feeling but the donic is slower.

Also in german forums people tell its very close so this cant be totally wrong....

TCI: thickness according to some measurements in a German forum: "5.6 mm, 5.7 mm, 5.2 mm, 5.3 mm, 5.7 mm, 5.0 mm" That's like day and night.
Donic Baum Esprit and Skachkov Carbon also use the Viscaria structure but have larger heads 159 mm x 152 mm afair.

DHS quality: It depends... with the right glue (Revolution No. 3 or DHS No. 15) and 400 grit or 600 grit sandpaper this is usually not a problem or just seal the blade slightly. Don't know what they do but the koto 729 uses is still better even on their cheapest blades.

DHS 506X: Ep 2.03, Ec = 1.82, Ec/Ep = 0.90, 85.2g, large head 159 mm x 150 mm
DHS 506X: Ep 2.13, Ec = 1.89, Ec/Ep = 0.89, 87.7g
Viscaria old: Ep 1.98, Ec = 1.80, Ec/Ep = 0.91, 86.0g, 5.7 mm
Viscaria new: Ep 2.02, Ec = 1.92, Ec/Ep = 0.95, 87.1g, 5.8 mm
Tibhar MK Carbon: Ep 2.01, Ec = 1.84, Ec/Ep = 0.92, 85.4g

Seems like the MK Carbon is very close to the older Viscarias (it's also close in feeling at index finger and palm according to the measurements).

This user has no status.
TCI: thickness according to some measurements in a German forum: "5.6 mm, 5.7 mm, 5.2 mm, 5.3 mm, 5.7 mm, 5.0 mm" That's like day and night.
Donic Baum Esprit and Skachkov Carbon also use the Viscaria structure but have larger heads 159 mm x 152 mm afair.

DHS quality: It depends... with the right glue (Revolution No. 3 or DHS No. 15) and 400 grit or 600 grit sandpaper this is usually not a problem or just seal the blade slightly. Don't know what they do but the koto 729 uses is still better even on their cheapest blades.

DHS 506X: Ep 2.03, Ec = 1.82, Ec/Ep = 0.90, 85.2g, large head 159 mm x 150 mm
DHS 506X: Ep 2.13, Ec = 1.89, Ec/Ep = 0.89, 87.7g
Viscaria old: Ep 1.98, Ec = 1.80, Ec/Ep = 0.91, 86.0g, 5.7 mm
Viscaria new: Ep 2.02, Ec = 1.92, Ec/Ep = 0.95, 87.1g, 5.8 mm
Tibhar MK Carbon: Ep 2.01, Ec = 1.84, Ec/Ep = 0.92, 85.4g

Seems like the MK Carbon is very close to the older Viscarias (it's also close in feeling at index finger and palm according to the measurements).
you can also have a viscaria with different thicknesses and weights.
mine was 5,5mm and 82g.

the (baum) esprit has a thicker core than the original viscaria...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Without saying too much, the problem is not sponsorship, but when you represent a reseller, you have to play with the equipment it offers. Imagine the boss of Butterfly playing with a stiga blade... Same problem 😁

So yes, we can't play with other brands, and we don't want to do it, especially when we find equally interesting alternatives

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
I have played with the Tibhar MK Carbon blade for a month now coming from Viscaria to FZD ALC and now the MK Carbon. IMO it is really close to the Viscaria blade maybe a notch faster, but that is something that you will get used to pretty quick.
Dimensions of the handle are similar as well as the thickness of the blade. The straight handle from MK Carbon feels more comfortable as the roundings are larger. Below is a picture comparing the layers of the MK Carbon (left) and Viscaria (right).

IMG_1589.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Without saying too much, the problem is not sponsorship, but when you represent a reseller, you have to play with the equipment it offers. Imagine the boss of Butterfly playing with a stiga blade... Same problem 😁

So yes, we can't play with other brands, and we don't want to do it, especially when we find equally interesting alternatives

You have to play with a blade that looks like a blade from your sponsor/reseller ;) FZD, Ovtcharov ;)
In this case with so many brands to choose from it should be possible to find something that is close or close enough, maybe something even better to ones preferred blade. Hopefully rubbers can be chosen without restrictions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
on italian forum people tell its very close so this cant be totally wrong
I know the baum esprit, had one some time ago.
It feels similar indeed despite its 2nd veneer is ayous instead of limba.
very good blade fore the money but in my opiniin even the donic true inner was closer to the viscaria...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hello everybody !
My friend discovered Butterfly Viscaria blade and loves it!

Unfortunately, due to certain partnerships he is obliged to play with brands like Tibhar, Donic, Victas, Xiom, Andro, Joola, Yasaka and Stiga.
What do you think would be the most similar blade from these manufacturers? No budget restrictions

We can even imagine that one of these brands offers an even more quality product based on this model.

Tibhar, Donic, Victas, Xiom, Andro, Joola, Yasaka and Stiga

I find this thread very interesting. It is nice to see how on topic and helpful people on the forum are capable of being:

OP - "I want and intend to use a blade from one of these brands: Tibhar, Donic, Victas, Xiom, Andro, Joola, Yasaka and Stiga, but would like a blade that is similar to a Viscaria.

TTDM #x - "Why don't you just get a Viscaria and put a Stiga handle on it?"

OP - "I don't want to use Butterfly blades. I want to be using equipment from one of the brands I mentioned."

TTDM #z - "You could just use a Butterfly blade and put a Stiga handle on it."

OP - "I don't want to use Butterfly blades. I want to be using equipment from one of the brands I mentioned."

TTDM #f - "Just get a blade from a Chinese manufacturer."

OP - "I want to be using equipment from one of the brands I mentioned."

TTDM #g - "You know you can glue any handle on a Butterfly blade you want. All the pros do it and nobody knows."

TTDM #e - "Get a blade from DHS."

TTDM #j - "Have one of the home blade makers make you what you want."

OP - "Is it worth my telling you guys that I would like a blade from one of the brands I mentioned."

Kudos to the forum members on the thread who gave actual information about products from one of the brands the OP was actually asking about. :)

In the end, I guess there is plenty of information on what the OP actually wanted that it does not really matter all that much. I just find it interesting how a good 1/3 of the comments seem to be telling the OP that he wants what he does not want. :)

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I know the baum esprit, had one some time ago.
It feels similar indeed despite its 2nd veneer is ayous instead of limba.
very good blade fore the money but in my opiniin even the donic true inner was closer to the viscaria...
Here's the thing, viscaria's composition is koto-alc-ayous-kiri. A few woodworkers have posted this quite some time ago to correct Dan's mistake. After you see the grain difference of ayous and limba you can't unsee it either, it's trippy. I can send you the reports if you want.

Edit: found the link, https://ttgearlab.com/2023/07/18/butterfly-viscaria-current-model-photos-information/

Reactions: Jimbob MacInbred
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Tibhar, Donic, Victas, Xiom, Andro, Joola, Yasaka and Stiga

I find this thread very interesting. It is nice to see how on topic and helpful people on the forum are capable of being:

OP - "I want and intend to use a blade from one of these brands: Tibhar, Donic, Victas, Xiom, Andro, Joola, Yasaka and Stiga, but would like a blade that is similar to a Viscaria.

TTDM #x - "Why don't you just get a Viscaria and put a Stiga handle on it?"

TTDM #z - "You could just use a Butterfly blade and put a Stiga handle on it."

TTDM #f - "Just get a blade from a Chinese manufacturer."

OP - "I want to be using equipment from one of the brands I mentioned."

TTDM #g - "You know you can glue any handle on a Butterfly blade you want. All the pros do it and nobody knows."

TTDM #e - "Get a blade from DHS."

TTDM #j - "Have one of the home blade makers make you what you want."

OP - "Is it worth my telling you guys that I would like a blade from one of the brands I mentioned."

Kudos to the forum members on the thread who gave actual information about products from one of the brands the OP was actually asking about. :)

In the end, I guess there is plenty of information on what the OP actually wanted that it does not really matter all that much. I just find it interesting how a good 1/3 of the comments seem to be telling the OP that he wants what he does not want. :)

You said it all... I understand that they want to help me and share their good discoveries. But if I post this topic it is precisely because despite our numerous tests and our personal opinions, we want to learn from others and find a fair equivalent among the brands we have listed.

The goal is not to lie by hiding a blade, but to find similar sensations in another model and also be able to recommend it.