Break-in procedure. What the good is it?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
BREAK-IN PROCEDURE. WHAT THE GOOD IS IT?

Doing a manual break-in on rubber surface by knocking it with the ball forcefully is believed to eventually improve bounce on the rubber and control.
Yet, there is no good evidence of the such.

Could you share your own experience? From your own observation , is the mechanical processing on rubber of any good? If so, which rubber is the most responsive to the treatment.

Thanks.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Doing a manual break-in on rubber surface by knocking it with the ball forcefully is believed to eventually improve bounce on the rubber and control.

Could you share your own experience? From your own observation , is the mechanical processing on rubber of any good? If so, which rubber is the most responsive to the treatment.

Thanks.
I am with you on this subject. If a rubber really would response to "manual break-in", then all the pros would have long ago invented a little machine that would take care of this.
Maybe the "breaking in" is not so much a breaking in of the rubber but a breaking in of the player to the new rubber. 😁

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I've never heard about it.

I know of 2 methods to break in rubbers, play them for about 2-3 weeks or boost them. This hitting with the ball thing isn't really something people do...

No matter what, after the break in period, it will feel a touch softer and easier to play with. It's a cycle of the rubber, when new, the rubber is a touch harder with less feeling than 2 weeks later. A good example is tenergy, t05 breaks in really hard and becomes a completely different rubber.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I am with you on this subject. If a rubber really would response to "manual break-in", then all the pros would have long ago invented a little machine that would take care of this.
Maybe the "breaking in" is not so much a breaking in of the rubber but a breaking in of the player to the new rubber. 😁
Rubbers break in and their characteristics change, they become softer, a touch slower and easier to control. Pros get used to the harder version and by the time the rubber breaks in, they already have another sheet glued on.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.

Thanks.
I left my bat(Dignics 05 and 09c) in its case when I went away, came back a week later and the rubber felt mych harder than normal. So i pressed the ball against it and then it felt much softer and more normal again.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Rubbers break in and their characteristics change, they become softer, a touch slower and easier to control. Pros get used to the harder version and by the time the rubber breaks in, they already have another sheet glued on.
Yes indeed. If there is an "Absolute MUST" for the professional player it is surely consistency. They can not allow things to change in the middle of a match or tournament.
For amateurs it does not really matter, our body and brain adjust to the changing circumstances until it comes to the point when we look down at our blades and say : "new rubbers needed".
Either that or the EJ-disease says : "Ohhh, i want one of them". 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Yes indeed. If there is an "Absolute MUST" for the professional player it is surely consistency. They can not allow things to change in the middle of a match or tournament.
For amateurs it does not really matter, our body and brain adjust to the changing circumstances until it comes to the point when we look down at our blades and say : "new rubbers needed".

I'm changing rubbers earlier than I could. 1. I need that consistency especially grip to play my game 2. I can't blame the equipment if I'm not playing to my level.

Reactions: lodro
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Yeah, the pros get everything for free, so they don't really care... Now I'm jealous😂

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Now I'm jealous😂
😁 Just think you are an alien and come to earth from far out of space. Then you see two creatures throwing a little ball at one another and another creature tells you that they are doing this all day every day AND get paid to do it. This is the moment you roll yourself on the ground laughing you head off.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
😁 Just think you are an alien and come to earth from far out of space. Then you see two creatures throwing a little ball at one another and another creature tells you that they are doing this all day every day AND get paid to do it. This is the moment you roll yourself on the ground laughing you head off.
Why is that so true?!😂😂😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
And imagine their reaction when they see people pay to go to places just to move heavy metal bars up and down, put them back into place and leave.
In a so called "gym".

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Chinese rubbers yes they need a short break in period.
But i am sorry to have to repeat myself but if chinese rubbers would really need a break in, we would see the little break in machines in every club.
Dozens of little hammers banging away at the rubbers and the break-in would be done in seconds 🤣
I think i could make the little fucker about the size of a pc-printer.

Reactions: brokenball